[net.sources.bugs] Phantasia

mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) (07/17/85)

	Ever so often when I execute phantasia I get the
error for ill_sig():

	Error: caught signal # 10.

This is SIGBUS.  I have no real idea why we're getting this
bus error.  It traces to an fclose in titlestuff().

Further information is: this is compiled BSD41 on an Vax 11/750.
It also is compiled with xstr.

		Help much appreciated since characters are not
		getting saved...

	Moshe Eliovson
	{allegra, ihnp4}!we53!busch!mte

jjg@security.UUCP (Jeff Glass) (07/22/85)

In article <456@busch.UUCP> mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) writes:

> 	Ever so often when I execute phantasia I get the
> error for ill_sig():
>
> 	Error: caught signal # 10.
>
> This is SIGBUS.  I have no real idea why we're getting this
> bus error.  It traces to an fclose in titlestuff().

Phantasia is overflowing an array.  It is reading the contents of the
"lastdead" file (in the phantasia lib directory) into the array "aline[80]",
then formats it into the array "instr[80]".  if you read too many characters
from "lastdead", you overflow "instr", and then you get the bus error.

anyway, to get phantasia going again, edit the lastdead file and make
it shorter.  the longterm fix is to change

	fgets(aline,80,fp);
	fgets(aline,80-strlen("The last character to die is "), fp);

or something like that.

/jeff
--
  security!jjg@mitre-bedford.ARPA				(MIL)
 {allegra,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!security!jjg	(UUCP)

wanner@ethz.UUCP (Juerg Wanner) (07/24/85)

In article <456@busch.UUCP> mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) writes:

>	Ever so often when I execute phantasia I get the
>error for ill_sig():
>
>	Error: caught signal # 10.

The error occurs when the program tries to write the 'Last character to die'-
line and the charactername is longer than about 10 characters. I haven't fixed
it, but you can run phantasia with the -s option, ignoring the header info.

--
 Juerg Wanner		Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Computer Science

 ..cernvax!ethz!wanner (UUCP)                       vlsi@czheth5a (BITNET/EARN)

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (07/08/86)

In article <965@utastro.UUCP>, wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
Thanks for everyone's help with the time.h problem, but thats the least of it.

I really need help with the two errors at line 227 and 228.

I tried deleting them to see what happened, and in one other file with the
tm-yday variable it kludged on.  The lines which use it say "today = (time&)
->tm_yday I believe, and it also says it needs a structure/union pointer
in the same line.

Further down the make install path, it says it cant identify a whole string of
variables in the gamesupport.c file.

Maybe I should just give up?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Wheeler