[net.sources.bugs] Adventure Games Sought

wjb@goanna.UUCP (07/18/86)

In article <869@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU>, chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) writes:
> In any case, most microcomputer adventure games (especially the earlier
> ones, such as the Scott Adams stuff, and ZORK and such) were written in
> assembler.
Not true!  ZORK originated at MIT, written in FORTRAN (I think).
The micro versions had an assembler core interpreter, but the actual
adventures were in a high-level-language, especially created for ZORK.

Warwick Bolam				CSNet: wjb@goanna.oz
Dept of Computing			UUCP:  seismo!munnari!goanna.oz!wjb
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
124 La Trobe St				ARPA: munnari!goanna.oz!wjb@SEISMO.ARPA
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
AUSTRALIA

mg@cidam.UUCP (07/19/86)

In article <869@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU>, chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) writes:
> In article <515@ur-tut.UUCP> sag2@ur-tut.UUCP (Dent Arthur Dent) writes:
> >
> >... ... ....  What I really need is the source.  Almost any language is
> >acceptable, but C is preferable and Pascal is a distant second.  These
> >games were great and I would really like to be able to play them again.
>
> In any case, most microcomputer adventure games (especially the earlier
> ones, such as the Scott Adams stuff, and ZORK and such) were written in
> assembler.
>

> Brent

Actually, from what I read, MUDL (or somesuch name) was the original language
for ZORK.

What I really want to say is that on the 4.2 distribution tape there is
something called ddl (Dungeon Description Language). Ddl means that you
no longer have to pine for adventureland (whatever that is) because you
can write a ddl description for yourself.

I have never used ddl myself so I can't comment on its utility. Nor do
we keep sources on line (no disk space) hence I haven't checked to see
if it's VAX specific.  I think that it was written at UCLA.

I have vague memories of some skeleton adventure style games provided with
ddl, so it shouldn't be too hard to get something built.

-- Mike
-----------
		Michael Gigante [Research Engineer]
UUCP:..!seismo!munnari!cidam.rmit.oz!mg Dept Mechanical & Production Eng.
ARPA:mg%cidam.rmit.oz@seismo.css.gov    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
CSNET:mg%cidam.rmit.oz			GPO Box 2476V
Phone: +61 3 660-2161 			Melbourne Vic., Australia 3001

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (07/20/86)

In article <409@goanna.oz> wjb@goanna.oz (Warwick Bolam) writes:
>Not true!  ZORK originated at MIT, written in FORTRAN (I think).
Yes, but no: ZORK was written at MIT in MDL (aka "muddle").
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

rs@mirror.UUCP (07/21/86)

	ZORK was written by the people involved in the real-time
	modelling group at MIT.  The language is called MDL,
	also spelled MUDDLE, and stands for Modelling Language
	or some such.  It looked kind of like LISP, except it
	used <> instead of (), and more "classical" syntax for
	datatypes.  It ran on DEC 10's and 20's, under MIT's
	ITS operating system (don't know about Twenex).  I don't
	know of other MDL code, although their certainly was some.

    	The authors of ZORK (Leibeling, et. al.) went on to found
	Infocom and others, where they wrote Zork, Deadline, etc.,
	in (first) assembly language, (then) an in-house gaming
	language.

----
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA  02140
Telephone:	617-661-0777
"Hi, mom!"