[net.sources.bugs] Another question re: "grotwin"

gustav@swanee.OZ (Gustav) (07/23/86)

In article <346@infinet.UUCP>, barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) writes:
> In article <277@cirl.UUCP> das@cirl.UUCP (Dave Steffens) writes:
> >
> >> Grotwin has been developed on a Sun 2 running release 2.2.  It should
> >> however, run on any BSD 4.2 or 4.3 system, or indeed any system
> >> which has pseudo terminals and the ability to poll a file descriptor
> >> (select(), ioctl(FIONREAD) or otherwise).
> >
> >'Taint so.  Compilation of manager.c fails on 4.2bsd and Ultrix 1.1 because
> >these systems don't have support for window size changes using SIGWINCH.
> >

> I tried compiling grotwin on our Ultrix 1.2 system and got the
> following errors in manager.c.  Does anyone have any ideas where
> 'ttysize' and 'TIOCSSIZE' are defined?
>

> "manager.c", line 955: unknown size          >> this references ttysize
>
> 	... other errors ...
>
> "manager.c", line 960: TIOCSSIZE undefined

These things are NOT defined under standard 4.2BSD, BUT then you cannot
change size of the window under 4.2 anyway. A simple solution is to remove
the whole lot from that last function in manager.c (set_tty_size it's called,
I think) and to replace it with single 'return;'. In this way the function
does nothing, and there are no problems with compilation. I did it this
way on my (very standard) 4.2BSD and grotwin works.

However, the program is so slow, that its slowness renders it practically
useless (mine is VAX11/750, which is not a very powerful machine, but
grotwin is VERY slow even if there are no other users on the system).
That's quite another matter though.