[net.sources.bugs] Larn 12.0 Bug

erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom) (08/26/86)

   I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command

shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I

have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug

in the 12.0 version.

 He's cute, he's cuddly, he's loyal, he's brave, but he's not home, so leave
 your posting at the sound of the tone......

                                          Erik Strom
					  Boeing Electronics
					  ssc-vax!erik

ilacqua@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (08/28/86)

In article <844@ssc-vax.UUCP> erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom) writes:

>   I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command
>shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I
>have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug
>in the 12.0 version.

	This Is not a bug! You start the game with two 'free' spells
and the potion of cure dianthroritis is known so that you will know it
when you find it.

|   See these eyes so green? I can stare for a thousand years...     |
|UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!ilacqua                              |
|ARPANET: ilacqua@bucsb.bu.edu                                       |
|CSNET: ilacqua%bucsb@bu-cs      BITNET: engemnc@bostonu             |

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (08/28/86)

>   I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command
>shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I
>have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug
>in the 12.0 version.

These are NOT bugs.  You "know" the potion of cure dianthroritis (what the
hell IS dianthrortis, anyway?) so that you don't "drink" it by accident -
there is only one such potion in the whole game.

As for knowing 'mle' and 'pro', these are freebies given to you on the
easier levels.  Just as you are not given armor and weapon to start for
the more difficult levels, you are not given the freebie spells, either.

donovan@ucdavis.UUCP (donovan) (08/28/86)

>    I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command
>
> shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I
>
> have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug
>
> in the 12.0 version.

>  He's cute, he's cuddly, he's loyal, he's brave, but he's not home, so leave
>  your posting at the sound of the tone......
>
>                                           Erik Strom
> 					  Boeing Electronics
> 					  ssc-vax!erik

I am not sure, but I *think* you are supposed to know a couple of spells to
start with and you *must* be able to recognize the cure dianthoritis potion
immediately.  Otherwise you might drink it - and then what??

BTW, I have completed the port of Larn 12.0 to VMS and will be posting the
sources to the net within the next week.

                                                 - Mark Nagel

shipley@violet.berkeley.edu (Peter) (08/29/86)

In article <844@ssc-vax.UUCP> erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom) writes:
>   I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command
>shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I
>have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug
>in the 12.0 version.

This is not a bug! You/everyone starts with knowing those two
spells.  You also know what the "cure dianthroritis" potion is
so you will know what it is when you find it (there is only one).

P.S. the same is true for 11.0

I use to be shipley@pavepaws.Berkeley.EDU but pavepaws
kicked the bucket... R.I.P (Sigh)

Pete Shipley:

email:   shipley@violet.berkeley.edu     Flames:  cc-26@cory.berkeley.edu
         ucbvax!violet!shipley                    ucbvax!cory!cc-26

Spelling
corections: /dev/null                    Quote: "Anger is an energy"

jennings@onion.cs.reading.ac.uk (Richard Jennings) (08/29/86)

writes double-spaced!:
>   I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command
>shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I
>have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug
>in the 12.0 version.

Y'know, the great thing about Usenet, is you can have people talk to you
without them hearing you killing themselves laughing. -- JUST A JOKE ERIK!!!
--
Richard Jennings (incomprehensible jargon follows):
        _^_                   jennings@onion.cs.reading.UUCP

shipley@violet.berkeley.edu (Peter) (09/08/86)

>In article <844@ssc-vax.UUCP> erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom)
>writes double-spaced!:
>   I have found that whenever I start a new game, that the 'D' command
>shows that I have already learned the 'mle' and 'pro' spells, and I
>have found the potion of cure dianthroritis. This is a consistent bug
>in the 12.0 version.

To  Fix this "bug" start game with the '-2' option, ie"

larn -2

That should FIX things nice.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...

Pete Shipley:

email:   shipley@violet.berkeley.edu     Flames:  cc-29@cory.berkeley.edu
         ucbvax!violet!shipley                    ucbvax!cory!cc-29