[net.sources.bugs] Backbone automatic news-compression question ...

james@osi3b2.UUCP (James R. Van Artsdalen) (09/25/86)

In article <857@ho95e.UUCP>, wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill_Stewart) writes:
> compress.  Two comments: for PC programs, the most popular compression
> seems to be ARC, which is shareware.  Compress is PD, its behavior
> is better known, and source is available from mod.sources; is there
> any reason to prefer ARC?  Also, the "btoa" program that comes with ...

Until recently ARC underwent constant revisions that were incompatible with
each other.  To the best of my knowledge no new versions have shown up in the
last few months (aside from some Trojan Horses).  A major problem with ARC
is that the program isn't available in a completely portable C version yet.
I acquired the pseudo-C source for the MS-DOS with the dreams of porting it
to portable C, but quit after realizing how much was involved.  The compiler
it uses uses a totally incompatible preprocessor, and the program has many
byte-ordering dependancies and size assumptions.  It also places fast and loose
with memory allocation.  Given the fact that revisions have come out so
frequently in the past I would hope no one would use it to post a large
source or anything, because it could prove difficult for the PC owners to
extract the data from it, much less owners of any other machines.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    Live Free or Die

gmd1@ihuxm.UUCP (Doughty) (10/04/86)

> In article <857@ho95e.UUCP>, wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill_Stewart) writes:
> > compress.  Two comments: for PC programs, the most popular compression
> > seems to be ARC, which is shareware.  Compress is PD, its behavior
> > is better known, and source is available from mod.sources; is there
> > any reason to prefer ARC?  Also, the "btoa" program that comes with ...
>
> Until recently ARC underwent constant revisions that were incompatible with
> each other.  To the best of my knowledge no new versions have shown up in the
> last few months (aside from some Trojan Horses).  A major problem with ARC
> is that the program isn't available in a completely portable C version yet.
> I acquired the pseudo-C source for the MS-DOS with the dreams of porting it
> to portable C, but quit after realizing how much was involved.  The compiler
> it uses uses a totally incompatible preprocessor, and the program has many
> byte-ordering dependancies and size assumptions.  It also places fast and loose
> with memory allocation.  Given the fact that revisions have come out so
> frequently in the past I would hope no one would use it to post a large
> source or anything, because it could prove difficult for the PC owners to
> extract the data from it, much less owners of any other machines.
> --
> James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    Live Free or Die

Actually the PC owners have the least problem.  ARC is available in executable
form for PCs from many BBS systems.  I have had no problem with ARC files from
USENET (except when the articles suffered some sort of damage in transmission).
Someone posted a version of ARC for Berkeley UNIX last summer where they had
determined the meaning of the funny '$emit' macros and removed them (sub-
stituting the correct C code in its place where needed).  I have taken that
source and made it work on UNIX SysV without too much trouble (I have since
found some bugs which I will fix Real Soon Now).  Unfortunately I deleted the
original posting or I would post a set of diffs (posting the whole thing
seems a bit excessive until I assure myself I've found the "next-to-the-
last bug"... I'm getting a little more realistic in my old age).  With regard
to non-PC systems, I believe that someone has been developing a group of
functions that each perform 1 of ARC's functions on CPM systems (ARC won't
fit as a whole).  I think I've even seen an ARC for the Amiga on a BBS in
Florida.

With regard to the incompatible versions, the biggest problem was that the
authors would add a new compression method which older version could of
course not handle.  This led to a scramble to find a BBS with the newest
revision.  Unfortunately it's hard to avoid this and still want to see
new and more efficient compression schemes incorporated.

I assume the reason ARC is used is that it provides a CRC on each ARC
entry.  This can detect many cases of files corrupted over the net.
Perhaps if the uuencode-uudecode and/or shar formats were augmented to
provide the same level of checking (or better), the ARC formatted files
would disappear.

Greg Doughty   ihnp4!ihuxm!gmd1