[net.sources.bugs] A minor installation note about the new ispell

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (03/19/87)

Don Kark just called my attention to a minor oversight in my instructions
for my reposting of ispell.  To use the new ispell, you have to rebuild
the hashed dictionary file, because I changed some fields in the hash
entry structure.  The symptom Don got was that ispell rewrote the entire
main dictionary as his personal dictionary -- 184 blocks!

Sorry about that.  For those who got their personal dictionary clobbered,
here's how to put it back (after ispell has been fixed):

    If you have cut(1):

	cut -d/ -f1 ispell.words | munchlist > ispell.words1

    If you don't have cut(1):

	sed 's;/.*$;;' ispell.words | munchlist > ispell.words1
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

don@wiley.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <302@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>Don Kark just called my attention to a minor oversight in my instructions
>for my reposting of ispell.  To use the new ispell, you have to rebuild
>the hashed dictionary file, because I changed some fields in the hash
>entry structure.  The symptom Don got was that ispell rewrote the entire
>main dictionary as his personal dictionary -- 184 blocks!

Unfortunately, Geoff jumped the gun just a little on this one.  The
installation of ispell wasn't the problem, since I DID rebuild the dictionary
hash file.  Geoff figured the "keep" flag was wrong.  Indeed it was, but
not because of an outdated hash file.  The problem is in buildhash.c.
The hash file it generated had "keep" set on every entry.

Apparently the "d" variable in readddict() is used as a template for building
the dictionary.  The value of the field d.keep was never explicitly set.
Since automatic variables don't get initialized to zero on Suns (Sun2/50),
the value of this bit was left at '1' for me, causing my master dictionary to
dump itself into my personal "ispell.words" every time!  Here is a one line
fix that solved the problem (context diff for "patch" users):

>> START OF PATCH
*** buildhash.c	Sun Mar 15 13:53:59 1987
--- /wilbur2/config/ispell/NEW-buggy/buildhash.c	Thu Mar 19 07:33:39 1987
***************
*** 267,272 ****
--- 267,273 ----
  	d->s_flag = 0;
  	d->p_flag = 0;
  	d->m_flag = 0;
+ 	d->keep = 0;

  	p = index (lbuf, '/');
  	if (p != NULL)

>> END OF PATCH

I'll also be posting a patch allowing ispell to be used more easily with
TeX or LaTeX files in the next few days.  Laters.

					-- Don
Don Kark			|  {cit-vax,trwrb}!wiley!don
TRW Inc.			|  wiley!don@csvax.caltech.edu
Redondo Beach, CA		|