[net.wanted.sources] Will someone post a "context diff" program?

msk@afinitc.UUCP (Morris Kahn) (01/07/85)

I'm sorry that this is a repeat-type question,  but  with  the  advent  of
"patch" (which I haven't been able to get running under System III anyway)
and the prevalence of posting source differences  with  lines  of  context
around the changed lines, I would like to be able to generate context diff
listings.   So  if  the  program  is  not  too big, would someone consider
posting it?  If that's not practical, I can poll someone's machine  for  a
direct uucp transference.

As they say, thanks in advance!

--
--  From the terminal of Morris Kahn  (...ihnp4!wucs!afinitc!msk)
--  Affinitec, Corp., 2252 Welsch Ind. Ct., St. Louis, MO 63146 (314)569-3450

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (01/13/85)

Uuummmm......will somebody please show this person the
manual page for diff?

Basically, you type "diff -c" and that gives you a context diff.
The manual page gives you more.

[I don't think we can post THAT without making everybody on the
net show their source licensces......]

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (01/15/85)

In article <492@ukma.UUCP> david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
>Uuummmm......will somebody please show this person the
>manual page for diff?
>
>Basically, you type "diff -c" and that gives you a context diff.
>The manual page gives you more.

Quick reminder that "diff -c" is a property of BSD software, and not ATT,
best I know.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (01/16/85)

> Uuummmm......will somebody please show this person the
> manual page for diff?
>
> Basically, you type "diff -c" and that gives you a context diff.
> The manual page gives you more.

System V doesn't have a -c option for diff(1).
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

msk@afinitc.UUCP (Morris Kahn) (01/16/85)

As I posted the original request, I would just like to say that
System III does not (and never did) to my knowledge have this option.
This is apparently different from many other systems.  So I will
repeat my request for someone to post a public domain context-diff
generator program!

--

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/17/85)

>Uuummmm......will somebody please show this person the
>manual page for diff?

>Basically, you type "diff -c" and that gives you a context diff.
>The manual page gives you more.

Ok, so I open my "User's Manual, System V" from Western Electric,
look under diff(1) and what to I find?   :-)

	SYNOPSIS
		diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2

Ooops!

-- Fred

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/17/85)

> Uuummmm......will somebody please show this person the
> manual page for diff?
>
> Basically, you type "diff -c" and that gives you a context diff.
> The manual page gives you more.
>
> [I don't think we can post THAT without making everybody on the
> net show their source licensces......]

AHEM.  "diff -c" is a Berkeleyism; if you don't have Berkeley's version
of "diff" you don't have "diff -c" (unless somebody else's added it).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery (the tame hacker on the North Coast)) (01/21/85)

+----------------
| In article <492@ukma.UUCP> david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
| >Uuummmm......will somebody please show this person the
| >manual page for diff?
| >
| >Basically, you type "diff -c" and that gives you a context diff.
| >The manual page gives you more.
| >

| Quick reminder that "diff -c" is a property of BSD software, and not ATT,
| best I know.

Yes, and not all of us are lucky enough to have BSD.  Has anyone written
a program from scratch to generate context diffs?  I'm not sure my programming
skills are up to it.

--bsa
--
   Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131  +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)