[net.wanted.sources] Hack on Unix 5.2

pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) (01/13/85)

Has anyone got Unix to work on Unix 5.2? I've tried the 5.2 fix (3 files recently
posted) but they don't seem to do the trick. A number of us are going crazy
trying to get it to work!
Any help would be appreciated.
--
Steve Pearse
ihnp4!hound!pearse

jim@mcvax.UUCP (Jim McKie) (01/15/85)

In article <829@hound.UUCP> pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) writes:
	>Has anyone got Unix to work on Unix 5.2? I've tried the 5.2 fix (3 files recently
	>posted) but they don't seem to do the trick. A number of us are going crazy
	>trying to get it to work!
	>Any help would be appreciated.

No, you will never get Unix to work on Unix 5.2. Consider it inadequate.

Jim McKie@The-Hacker's-Home-From-Home

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (01/17/85)

> In article <829@hound.UUCP> pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) writes:
> 	>Has anyone got Unix to work on Unix 5.2? I've tried the 5.2 fix (3 files recently
> 	>posted) but they don't seem to do the trick. A number of us are going crazy
> 	>trying to get it to work!
> 	>Any help would be appreciated.
>
> No, you will never get Unix to work on Unix 5.2. Consider it inadequate.
>
> Jim McKie@The-Hacker's-Home-From-Home

Don't be ridiculous. Hack works just fine on Sys V Rel 2. If the authors
had used a real, high-level terminal handler package it wouldn't even
have needed a lot of the changes that had to be made for SVR2.
--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/18/85)

> > In article <829@hound.UUCP> pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) writes:
> > 	>Has anyone got Unix to work on Unix 5.2? I've tried the 5.2 fix (3 files recently
> > 	>posted) but they don't seem to do the trick. A number of us are going crazy
> > 	>trying to get it to work!
> > 	>Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > No, you will never get Unix to work on Unix 5.2. Consider it inadequate.
> >
> > Jim McKie@The-Hacker's-Home-From-Home
>
> Don't be ridiculous. Hack works just fine on Sys V Rel 2. If the authors
> had used a real, high-level terminal handler package it wouldn't even
> have needed a lot of the changes that had to be made for SVR2.

Have you got hack working on V.2 ????
Can you send a full copy of it to me ???
Thanks much,

	Mark

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery (the tame hacker on the North Coast)) (01/24/85)

+----------------
| > In article <829@hound.UUCP> pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) writes:
| > >Has anyone got Unix to work on Unix 5.2? I've tried the 5.2 fix (3 files recently
| > >posted) but they don't seem to do the trick. A number of us are going crazy
| > >trying to get it to work!
| >
| > No, you will never get Unix to work on Unix 5.2. Consider it inadequate.
|
| Don't be ridiculous. Hack works just fine on Sys V Rel 2. If the authors
| had used a real, high-level terminal handler package it wouldn't even
| have needed a lot of the changes that had to be made for SVR2.

And, from my experience with -lcurses, it would have run like molasses
kept in liquid nitrogen.  What they SHOULD have done is made a set of
primitives, all located in a single file with nothing else, that could
simply be replaced with terminfo stuff.  Maybe the terminfo curses is
faster; but I doubt it.  Cursor optimization would do more harm than
good in a game like Hack where the program pretty much already has optimized
cursor motion.

P.S.  The second comment above was probably a crack at AT&T, not a comment
about Hack (then again, in some ways they're the same thing...)

--bsa
--
   Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131  +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)

spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) (01/28/85)

It is true that curses on System V release 2 is not well design for
games requiring screen movement.  But you can use the low level routines
calls and then the response is the same as for termcap stuff.  In fact
in the hack version, it is the termcap compatability mode that is
mostly used I believe.

Steve Spearman
ihnp4!ihopb!spear