[net.music] Replacements review

folta@yale.ARPA (Stephen Folta) (12/04/84)

>       Can anyone give any kind of review on these albums?:
>
>               3. Replacements new album

The new Replacements album is called _Let_It_Be_.
Here is a song by song review:

Side One

"I Will Dare"      - An Athens(GA)-style pop song, complete with a
		    guitar solo by Pete Buck of REM.  The first
		    of many great tunes on the album.

"Favorite Thing"   - Great rock song.

"We're Coming Out" - Most of this song is hardcore, except for
		     a fantastic slower part.  Give this a
		     chance even if you don't like HC.

"Tommy Gets His    - Another HC song, but a little more melodic than
 Tonsils Out"        the harder parts of "We're Coming Out".  I like
		     a lot, despite its frivolity (?).

"Androgynous"      - A slower song, just voice and piano.  Very catchy.
		     A local newspaper review called it "touching".

"Black Diamond"    - A cover of a Kiss song.  Skip it.

Side Two

"Unsatisfied"      - More pop, this time with a broader sound.

"Seen Your Video"  - Mostly instrumental.  Good.  Really good at
		     the end.

"Gary's Got a      - Another heavy metal song.  Skip this one too.
 Boner"

"Sixteen Blue"     - Another soft song, but not nearly as good
		     as "Androgynous".

"Answering Machine"- Another great rock song.  This is just voice
		     and electric guitar (a weird arrangement).

Comments:
	The production is "bargain-basement": lots of amplifier hiss,
	etc.  This certainly doesn't detract from the songs, however.
	The lead singer/guitarist (I forget his name) is an incredibly
	talented songwriter.

Final Tally:
	7 Great songs
	2 "Merely" good songs
	2 Heavy metal songs

Conclusion:
	Get this album or you're missing out severely.

Stephen Folta
decvax!yale!folta

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL-VLD.ARPA> (12/05/84)

Replacements LP Let It Be?  Where did they get that name for an LP?
(Beatles LP had that name.)

smd@cvl.UUCP (Stanley Dunn) (12/06/84)

   This is not meant as personal criticism, I just cannot
   believe some of these song titles.

In article <> folta@yale.ARPA (Stephen Folta) writes:

>The new Replacements album is called _Let_It_Be_.

 Side One:
 "I Will Dare"                "Favorite Thing"   "We're Coming Out"
 "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out" "Androgynous"      "Black Diamond"

 Side Two:
 "Unsatisfied"                "Seen Your Video"
 "Gary's Got a Boner"         "Sixteen Blue"     "Answering Machine"

An excerpt from the comments on the album:

> The lead singer/guitarist (I forget his name) is an incredibly
> talented songwriter.

What? With stuff like "Gary's Got a Boner" ???
                      "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out" ???

>Conclusion:
> Get this album or you're missing out severely.

So I guess I am missing out severely.

Gary's Got a Boner ????

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (12/10/84)

> An excerpt from the comments on the album:

>>The lead singer/guitarist (I forget his name) is an incredibly
>>talented songwriter.

> What? With stuff like "Gary's Got a Boner" ???
>                       "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out" ???

Right on, man!  Bring back those REAL song titles, like "On the Silent
Wings of Epiphenalia - Episode VI:  Impression 9 - Anthropos Estes Manogus"
(by Lester's Rock Orchestra) or "I'm Honestly Hopelessly Endlessly in Love
with Myself, Baby" by Dianiva Newton-Rogers, or "Let's Get Stoned, Drive
Fast, and Rape Some Women" by the Heavy Metal Good Ole Boys...

Never mind you wouldn't understand anyway...
				"Brainwash" - Flipper
--
"Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bothered
 to mention it--Oh, God, I'm so depressed."		Rich Rosen  pyuxd!rlr

carey@yale.ARPA (Bob the Blob) (12/13/84)

	Replacements LP Let It Be?  Where did they get that name for an LP?
	(Beatles LP had that name.)

They got the name from the Beatles LP. You can't protect album titles
so they figured "Why not?".