[net.wanted.sources] Automatic Logout Process

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (08/14/85)

In article <6@andromeda.UUCP> dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) writes:
>Does anyone out there in Netland have source to a program that will
>log users out automatically if their terminals have been idle for a
>specified amount of time and they have no processes running???? Sys V
>or 4.2bsd will do....

Two methods to kill off idle terminals were posted within the past few months:
a cron-driven shell script (idlekill) and a daemon (idledaemon). You can
probably get them from your nearest source archive site; I can also E-mail them
to you. I'll be porting them to the Pyramid (4.2bsd) in a few weeks; if they
require significant changes I'll post the entire sources in net.sources (since
they are both very small).

Sorry about the cross posting; the original request was in net.sources.
--
      -m-------     Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology
    ---mmm-----     P.O. Box 7295, Mountain View, CA 94039   415/965-7200

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/15/85)

In article <38@cbnap.UUCP> whp@cbnap.UUCP (W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235) writes:

>>>The simplest thing that can be done is to add an enforced timeout
>>>mechanism to the shells.  Obviously this is only possible if you
>>>have a source license.  The changes are fairly simple and have
>>>been done by several people that I know of (myself included).
>>
>>Please don't change the shells!
>>It's NOT worth it.
>>
>You must be using csh or some non standard shell, because the Bourne shell
>(and the Korn shell too) already have a timeout mechanism!  I'm using a
>SVR2.0V1 unix (new AT&T UNIX naming convention: System V Release 2.0 Version 1),
>but I'm sure the changes were in previous releases of unix too.  If you
>have the source for shell, look for a file "timeout.h" where you can set the
>default expiration time (or set to zero if you don't want any time out).
>Upon invocation, sh checks to see if the environment variable "TMOUT" is set;
>if so, this over-rides the default defined in timeout.h.  On some shells
>I've used, the variable was called "TIMEOUT".
>
>Wayne Pollock,	{ihnp4}!cbnap!whp

Most of the version 7 systems I've seen did not have the TIMEOUT
feature, some modified v7's have it.

In any case, this is not the same thing, as it depends upon the
user setting TIMEOUT in the first place.  It's not easily
enforced, but easily defeated.

Jonathan E. Quist
Lachman Associates, Inc.
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq