[net.wanted.sources] Rogue Source -- READ THIS!!!!!

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (08/23/85)

In article <2306@flame.warwick.UUCP> kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) writes:
>"A boy does not put his hand into his pocket until every other means of
>gaining his end has failed."		_Tommy_, by J. M. Barrie.

I think that Kay should have also mentioned:

"A software person does not read the manual until every other means of
gaining his/her end has failed."

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I quote from net.announce.newusers, the only un-unsubscribable group SO
PEOPLE NEW TO THE NET WILL READ IT!!!:

Newsgroups: net.announce.newusers
Subject: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (Last changed: 14 July 1985)

10.  net.games: Where can I get the source for empire or
     rogue?

     You can't.  The authors of these games, as is their right, have
     chosen not to make the sources available.

Now, to Kay and the original poster of the rogue sources request:
If this is somehow not available on your system (net.announce.newusers),
please let me know via mail and I will send you a full copy.  If it is
available, READ ALL THE ARTICLES IN net.announce.newusers BEFORE YOU
POST ANYTHING ELSE.

Thanks, and my apologies to my fellow netters for clogging net.wanted.sources
with this stuff.

Wasn't net.announce.newusers supposed to stem the tide we get whenever
the students come back from summer/Christmas breaks?
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (09/06/85)

[WARNING: whilst not a flame, this is a more-than-tepid rejoinder]

In article <818@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:

{here is a section in which Curtis berates me for asking for rogue
sources -- Kay}

>Now, to Kay and the original poster of the rogue sources request:
>If this is somehow not available on your system (net.announce.newusers),
>please let me know via mail and I will send you a full copy.  If it is
>available, READ ALL THE ARTICLES IN net.announce.newusers BEFORE YOU
>POST ANYTHING ELSE.

Curtis,
	Why have you presumed that I *hadn't* read net.announce.newusers?
Actually, I'm one of the two people at this site who spend a considerable
amount of time *telling* people to read net.announce.newusers.

Indeed, I am well aware that Michael Toy (author of the original rogue
game) has 'chosen not to make the sources publicly available':  however, I
think it must be well known on the net by now that sources for rogue-like
(in the sense of not being mct originals) exist.  Articles to this effect
have appeared in net.games.rogue over the past year:  we have been given
such sources already.

The purpose of the original article, I believe, and of my followup thereto,
was to obtain such a set of source programs.

I appreciate your desire to edify the world, but I recommend you ascertain
the flameworthiness of your selected targets by individual personal
communication before you publicly castigate them.

>Thanks, and my apologies to my fellow netters for clogging net.wanted.sources
>with this stuff.

Then don't do so.  I followup to both groups simply to clarify the matter
and (I hope) to exonerate myself in the eyes of the Net.  I think explanations
of behaviour are more polite than apologies.

>Wasn't net.announce.newusers supposed to stem the tide we get whenever
>the students come back from summer/Christmas breaks?

I object to your fundamental assumptions that
	i)  I am a student	(I am not)
       ii)  Students are, en masse, witless and careless   (some are,
	    most aren't)

It seems that you might like to read Chuq's article in net.announce.newusers
on "Working with the Usenet community".  If your site doesn't get it, then
I'd be more than happy to mail it to you; certainly, I think you could do
with reading it before you post more articles like your followup to the net.

If you wish to continue this communication, then I suggest that we conduct
it via e-mail, where it won't annoy more than two people.

						flameproofly,
							Kay.
--
"A boy does not put his hand into his pocket until every other means of
gaining his end has failed."		_Tommy_, by J. M. Barrie.

			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!flame!kay