[net.wanted.sources] fast sphere algorithms

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (09/25/85)

Hi there ---

    Does anyone out there have an algorithm (or a reference to a
journal) for "fast spheres." I realize that fast sphere drawing
algorithms tend to be device dependent, but any clues would be
appreciated...please email responses...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	"...That's enough, that's enough!
	    Television's takin' its toll.
	    Turn it off, turn it off!
	    Give me the remote control!
	    I've been nice! I've been good!
	    Please don't do this to me!
	    I've been nice, turn it off,
	    I don't wanna hav'ta see...
		...'The Brady Bunch!'"

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (09/29/85)

>     Does anyone out there have an algorithm (or a reference to a
> journal) for "fast spheres." ...

The Shaded Surface Display of Large Molecules
Thomas K. Porter
Computer Graphics 13:2 (Proceedings SIGGRAPH '79)
pp.234-236
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	Computer Graphics Research Group, The Ohio State University
	{ucbvax,decvax}!cbosg!osu-eddie!julian

rick1@sbcs.UUCP (Guest account) (10/26/85)

*** Zing Wow Dwoop! ***

A reasonable way of generating spherical surfaces by purely integer means
is, of course, to run two bresenham's circle algorithms in tandem (or has
someone already mentioned this).

Doing things this way is nice  since  it  lends itself to scanline hidden
surface removal and shading (it even runs local on a dmd 5620).

						Perry S. Kivolowitz
						ihnp4!atux01!perry

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (10/31/85)

In article <491@sbcs.UUCP> rick1@sbcs.UUCP (Guest account) writes:

>A reasonable way of generating spherical surfaces by purely integer means
>is, of course, to run two bresenham's circle algorithms in tandem (or has
>someone already mentioned this).
>
>						Perry S. Kivolowitz

Could somebody post Bresenham's algorithm or provide a journal reference?

Much appreciated...
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: {allegra|decvax|duke|floyd|linus|ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!george
BELL: (416)475-8980

jeff@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (11/06/85)

> >A reasonable way of generating spherical surfaces by purely integer means
> >is, of course, to run two bresenham's circle algorithms in tandem (or has
> >someone already mentioned this).
> >
> Could somebody post Bresenham's algorithm or provide a journal reference?

1. A Linear Algorithm for Incremental Digital Display of Circular Arcs
   Jack Bresenham, CACM Feb 1977 Volume 20 Number 2.
   [this is the horse's mouth, but hard to read]

2. Foley & vanDam contains the most readable presentation I have found.
   Look under "scan conversion - circles" in the index.

   Hope this helps.
--
	Dr Memory
	...{amd,ihnp4}!qubix!jeff

meier@srcsip.UUCP (Christopher M. Meier) (11/15/85)

In article <1651@qubix.UUCP> jeff@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) writes:
>> >A reasonable way of generating spherical surfaces by purely integer means
>> Could somebody post Bresenham's algorithm or provide a journal reference?
>
>1. A Linear Algorithm for Incremental Digital Display of Circular Arcs
>   Jack Bresenham, CACM Feb 1977 Volume 20 Number 2.
>   [this is the horse's mouth, but hard to read]
>
>2. Foley & vanDam contains the most readable presentation I have found.
>   Look under "scan conversion - circles" in the index.
In the last month or two I have noticed that most requests for algorithm
sources could be satisfied by looking in Foley & van Dam's.  May I suggest
that a net.graphics 'newreader' article be posted monthly?  It should (at
least) contain the name of Foley & van Dam's, with a note that most often
asked for algorithms are in it.  Any other good general sources should also
be listed.  Anyone else agree?

Christopher Meier		{ihnp4!umn-cs,philabs}!srcsip!meier
Honeywell S&RC
S&IP AI/T