[net.wanted.sources] Looking for source on crypt...

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (11/29/85)

	Does anyone have the source for crypt, or perhaps the
 algorithms that is uses.  I would greatly apreciate the info
 and would be happy to summerize for the net.

 Thanx in advance.

			Martin the Magician.

			Bzzzzzzzzzz........ZAP!!!

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (11/30/85)

In article <113@molihp.UUCP> martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) writes:
>	Does anyone have the source for crypt, or perhaps the
> algorithms that is uses.  I would greatly apreciate the info
> and would be happy to summerize for the net.

To get source for standard UNIX commands, you need a Source License
from AT&T.  If you read whatever UNIX license you do have (probably
4.2BSD?) it will tell you what you can and can't do with UNIX source
and binaries; posting AT&T-developed source to the net is one of the
things you CAN'T do.  Posting Berkeley-derived source to the net
depends on the specific license agreement you have.  If you get your
UNIX support as a binary sublicense from someone (I assume you do,
since you'd have source otherwise) they may have placed additional
restrictions on what you can do.  Read your licenses.
The phone number for AT&T UNIX Sales in the USA is
1-800-828-UNIX; I'm sorry I don't know an internationally usable
number (they're in Greensboro N.C.)

Crypt existed as part of Version 7 UNIX (or earlier?), so a V7 source
license will let you read the source.  Also, crypt was discussed in a
recent AT&T Technical Journal (about October 1984).  As the manual page
says, it's a 256-element one-rotor Enigma machine; you can break it if
you're good at that sort of stuff and/or read the article, but it's
still a bit of work.  Some later AT&T versions have a 3-rotor machine,
which is harder to break, and there are DES-based crypt's out there
also.  The crypt(3) subroutine is different - it's a modified DES
algorithm (less guaranteed security, but it's not the original
algorithm so your hardware DES box can't help you.)

Footnotes: All this discussion is my own interpretation and not
an official pronouncement from AT&T.  UNIX is a trademark of... etc.

--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (12/01/85)

In article <113@molihp.UUCP> martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) writes:

>	Does anyone have the source for crypt, or perhaps the
> algorithms that is uses.  I would greatly apreciate the info
> and would be happy to summerize for the net.
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
>			Martin the Magician.
>
>			Bzzzzzzzzzz........ZAP!!!

You can't get the source without a V7 lisense, but here's a couple of
pointers.

The DES algorithm is clearly outlined (as a PASCAL program) in:
Computer Networks by Andrew S. Tanenbaum,
and a detailed description on the slightly different Unix algorithm is
described in AT&T Bell Labs Technical Journal V63 No.8 Part 2 "The Unix
System", in an article called "File Security and the UNIX system crypt
command".

					Paul Guthrie
					ihnp4!ihdev!pdg
UNIX is a tm of AT&T Bell Laboratories. { + other neccessary disclaimers}

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/03/85)

In article <113@molihp.UUCP> martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) writes:

>	Does anyone have the source for crypt, or perhaps the
> algorithms that is uses.  I would greatly apreciate the info
> and would be happy to summerize for the net.

Note that Martin is from Vancouver *Canada* before you send the crypt
*command* to him.  You might get into a lot of trouble with the NSA if
you ship crypt sources or binaries outside the US.  "crypt", since it
is an implementation of the DES, is a export-restricted item and requires
an export license.  That's why the international versions of UNIX don't
have the command.  AT&T got into trouble with it in Version 7.

The password "crypt" subroutine is not-quite DES, but you still might
have some trouble if somebody finds out.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis