[net.wanted.sources] Perennial request: XENIX 286 netnews sources

dyer@harvard.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (01/31/86)

You know, I always used to ignore messages like these, feeling ever so
slightly superior to those poor souls who were forced to use a 286 as
a UNIX box.  Now I'm in the same boat with them, having fun with a
XENIX C compiler which produces large and huge model programs which
core dump faster than you can type their name, not the least of which
is most of News 2.10.3.

If anyone has already addressed this and is willing to share their fixes,
please drop me a line.

Thanks,
--
/Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (02/03/86)

In article <671@harvard.UUCP>, dyer@harvard.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> You know, I always used to ignore messages like these, feeling ever so
> slightly superior to those poor souls who were forced to use a 286 as
> a UNIX box.  Now I'm in the same boat with them, having fun with a
> XENIX C compiler which produces large and huge model programs which
> core dump faster than you can type their name, not the least of which
> is most of News 2.10.3.

One question, why are you trying to compile news as a large or huge
model program?  I have 2.10.3 up and running on my site catnip.uucp,
and had no problem compiling the whole thing as a pure small model
program (-i option).  The only caveat is that you have to specify
a larger stack size.  I used -F 2000, though I have no idea much
stack size it really needs.  BTW, I am running SCO Xenix system V
on a PC AT.

Ben Broder
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!catnip!ben