[net.wanted.sources] C shell to C converter...

rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen) (02/01/86)

   A few weeks ago I posted a query about a C shell to C converter which
I had believed was in existence somewhere.  After receiving many replies
of the "please send it to me if you find it" variety and no replies
of the "yes I have it, here is the answer to your question" variety, I have
regrettably come to the conclusion that it probably doesn't exist.
Rather than sending ~20 separate letters out, I thought I'd post instead
since the issue seems to have generated quite a bit of interest.

Thanks anyway,

--Rob
--
		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

cdl@mplvax.ARPA (Carl Lowenstein) (02/02/86)

In article <11649@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen) writes:

>   A few weeks ago I posted a query about a C shell to C converter which
>I had believed was in existence somewhere.

From an ad in "attage" magazine, Jan-Feb 1985:

Shacc - the shell accelerator - is a compiler for the Bourne shell.
It translates Bourne shell programs into C and then invokes the C compiler ...

	Concentric Associates Inc
	One Harmon Plaza
	Secaucus NJ 07094	201-866-2880

All that I know about it is that somebody near here got a copy and it seemed
to work, and greatly speeded up the SysV administrative shell scripts.
Don't know if it is still alive, or anything else.  Thought everybody knew,
or I would have answered sooner.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

stevet@ihuxl.UUCP (Turpin) (02/04/86)

>    A few weeks ago I posted a query about a C shell to C converter which
> I had believed was in existence somewhere.  After receiving many replies
> of the "please send it to me if you find it" variety and no replies
> of the "yes I have it, here is the answer to your question" variety, I have
> regrettably come to the conclusion that it probably doesn't exist.
> Rather than sending ~20 separate letters out, I thought I'd post instead
> since the issue seems to have generated quite a bit of interest.
>
> Thanks anyway,
>
> --Rob
> --
> 		       --Rob Rosen
>
> 		       ...ucbvax!rosen
> 		       rosen@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

There is a program, called "shacc" from Concentric Associates that converts
Bourne shell scripts to C programs.  I don't know about C-shell scripts.  You
may want to give them a call.  The phone number is 201-866-2880.  They even
offer an online demonstration.  Hope this is of some help.