[net.music] "Purple Rain" vs. "Ice Cream Castles"

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (12/07/84)

I am the owner of both of these albums, and I am as disapointed
with the latter as I am pleased with the former.  Although I
think The Time nearly blew away The Revolution in the movie,
I find The Time's music almost boring without the visual
re-enforcement.  Maybe I'm just a victim of MTV!  I think one
problem may be that The Time is really a funk band, while The
Revolution is the first group to produce black music that
white boys can dance to since Sly and the Family Stone.  This
is not meant to be a racist staement, it's just an observation
on the last twenty years of rock and roll.  I will probably
sell off "Ice Cream Castles" because I can't enjoy The Time on
record like I can on film.  And there's the pity! [:-/-)]

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (12/15/84)

> From: rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone)

> I am the owner of both of these albums, and I am as disapointed
> with the latter as I am pleased with the former.  Although I
> think The Time nearly blew away The Revolution in the movie,
> I find The Time's music almost boring without the visual
> re-enforcement.  Maybe I'm just a victim of MTV!  I think one
> problem may be that The Time is really a funk band, while The
> Revolution is the first group to produce black music that
> white boys can dance to since Sly and the Family Stone.  This
> is not meant to be a racist staement, it's just an observation
> on the last twenty years of rock and roll.  I will probably
> sell off "Ice Cream Castles" because I can't enjoy The Time on
> record like I can on film.  And there's the pity! [:-/-)]

You are a victim of MTV!  In a way though, everyone is who watches it a lot
(I know, since I used to watch it all the time before I moved to NJ).  The
Time's pre-MTV music is really funky.  If you can ever get to hear their
earlier albums, like "What Time Is It" you'll find they are just as dance-
able as The Revolution.
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo