[net.wanted.sources] Complex Arithmetic Library Wanted

dbr@cybvax0.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) (04/28/86)

I  am interested in a set of "C" language functions, suitable for
linking to analytical  programs,  which  perform  complex  number
operations.  I am interested in the fullest set possible.

Some time ago (late 1984?)  I saw reference to such a treasure on
USENET,  in  net.physics  or net.math.  If the library refered to can
be resurrected and mailed to me, I would  greatly  appreciate it.

Douglas Robinson	Jobs don't kill programmers... programmers kill jobs!
The Foxboro Company
MS-04-3A		617/543-8750
38 Neponset Avenue	foxvax5!dbr
Foxboro, MA  02035
--
Doug Robinson		Jobs don't kill programmers... programmers kill jobs!

617/492-8810		...!{mit-eddie, harvard, mirror}!cybvax0!dbr

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill_Stewart) (05/02/86)

In article <1032@cybvax0.UUCP> dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) writes:
>I  am interested in a set of "C" language functions, suitable for
>linking to analytical  programs,  which  perform  complex  number
>operations.  .....
>Some time ago (late 1984?)  I saw reference to such a treasure on
>USENET,  in  net.physics  or net.math.  If the library refered to can
>be resurrected and mailed to me, I would  greatly  appreciate it.

Such libraries can be useful, but a much better approach is to get C++,
which allows you to define your own data types, and overload the
standard operators to work with them.  Program development is a lot
faster when you can write
	z0 = z1 + z2 * z3 * 3.141592;
instead of
	z0 = c_add( z1, c_mul( c_mul( z2, z3 ), r_to_c( 3.141592 )));

Your programs also run faster because the complex functions can be
expanded in-line at compile time instead of using function calls.
The standard c++ libraries around here include data types for complex
numbers, character strings, and arrays with whole-array-at-once operators.

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson ) (05/05/86)

In article <665@ho95e.UUCP> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs HO 2G202) writes:
>In article <1032@cybvax0.UUCP> dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) writes:
>>I  am interested in a set of "C" language functions, suitable for
>>linking to analytical  programs,  which  perform  complex  number
>>operations.  .....
>
>Such libraries can be useful, but a much better approach is to get C++,
>which allows you to define your own data types, and overload the
>standard operators to work with them.  Program development is a lot
>Your programs also run faster because the complex functions can be
>expanded in-line at compile time instead of using function calls.

I have heard mixed reviews of C++.  Yes it seems that it would be a
great productivity tool PROVIDING you have a 32Bit CPU and a compiler
with LARGE amounts of capacity (I've heard of people exhausting certain
limits on the 4.2BSD compiler on a VAX...).  Some of us still have to be
able to live with 16Bit processors (INTEL 8088/86/286) and some of us
even have to live in the small model domain (strictly 16 bit addressing
with split I/D).  Not everyone has a spare VAX in their basement (YET :->).

Douglas Robinson	jobs don't kill programmers, programmers kill jobs
The Foxboro Company
MS 04-3A		cybvax0!foxvax5!dbr
38 Neponset Avenue
Foxboro, MA 02035	617/543-8750