[net.wanted.sources] Adventure Games Sought

sag2@ur-tut.UUCP (07/16/86)

The recent posting of Adventure has once again reminded me of those
Scott Adams Adventure games, like Adventureland, Pirates Island, Mission
Impossible, etc....  Does anyone out there know of where I might be
able to acquire the source to these games, especially adventureland.
The only versions I have had access to were the ones for the Trash-80
and the Apple ][.  No flames, I realize that these are pathetic machines.
I had to use the Trash back in high school and never, thank god, had to
use the Apple.  What I really need is the source.  Almost any language is
acceptable, but C is preferable and Pascal is a distant second.  These
games were great and I would really like to be able to play them again.

Thanks,

-- Dent Arthur Dent
uucp:	{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz, harvard}!rochester!ur-tut!sag2
BITNET: SAG2@UORVM
Physical:43 01' 40'' N, 77 37' 49'' W

|  "I refuse to be murdered wearing a blue and white cone on my    |
|   head.  It is perfectly undignified."                           |
|   Who said it?  What show?  Under what circumstances?            |
|  "Could you clone me now?"                                       |
|   A quickie from Doctor Who.  Answer the same as before.         |

chapman@pavepaws.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <515@ur-tut.UUCP> sag2@ur-tut.UUCP (Dent Arthur Dent) writes:

>The recent posting of Adventure has once again reminded me of those
>Scott Adams Adventure games, like Adventureland, Pirates Island, Mission
>Impossible, etc....  Does anyone out there know of where I might be
>able to acquire the source to these games, especially adventureland.
>The only versions I have had access to were the ones for the Trash-80
>and the Apple ][.  No flames, I realize that these are pathetic machines.
>I had to use the Trash back in high school and never, thank god, had to
>use the Apple.  What I really need is the source.  Almost any language is
>acceptable, but C is preferable and Pascal is a distant second.  These
>games were great and I would really like to be able to play them again.

Lighten up about micros...  Without systems like the TRS-80 and the Apple II,
we wouldn't be in the middle of the "computer revolution" today.

I doubt you'll be able to obtain source to any of the games you mentioned.
The Scott Adams Adventures still sell.

In any case, most microcomputer adventure games (especially the earlier
ones, such as the Scott Adams stuff, and ZORK and such) were written in
assembler.  Decent high level languages for such micros are a fairly
recent (within the last two to four years) invention.  There was, at the
time, no other way to get what was deemed reasonable performance.  The
only "major" adventure-style games on those micros that I am aware of that
are not written in assembler are Wizardry and its sequels, which are written
in Pascal.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (07/18/86)

In article <869@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@pavepaws.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
>I doubt you'll be able to obtain source to any of the games you mentioned.
>The Scott Adams Adventures still sell.
>
>In any case, most microcomputer adventure games (especially the earlier
>ones, such as the Scott Adams stuff, and ZORK and such) were written in
>assembler.  Decent high level languages for such micros are a fairly
>recent (within the last two to four years) invention.  There was, at the
>time, no other way to get what was deemed reasonable performance.  The
>only "major" adventure-style games on those micros that I am aware of that
>are not written in assembler are Wizardry and its sequels, which are written
>in Pascal.

I have since been informed that the source to Scott Adam's "Pirate Adventure"
appeared in BYTE several years ago.  Pirate Adventure is a low-level,
"introductory" game, that generally takes 2 to 4 hours to solve.  It
might still be of interest to you, though.  I have no idea what issue
it appeared in, or even what year.  This is second-hand information.
Sorry about that.

Brent

--

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/18/86)