[net.wanted.sources] How do I get a directory in MSC?

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (06/27/86)

Can anybody out there in net.land tell me how to get a directory on DOS 3.1
using MS C 3.0?  I would like to write my own ls for DOS, but not knowing
how to get a directory makes it rather difficult to write such a thing. :-)

					Thanks,
						Tad Marko

..!ihnp4!killer!tad

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) (06/30/86)

> Can anybody out there in net.land tell me how to get a directory on DOS 3.1
> using MS C 3.0?  I would like to write my own ls for DOS, but not knowing
> how to get a directory makes it rather difficult to write such a thing. :-)

Are you sure your C library does not have functions for this?  If not,
are there functions for doing DOS system calls?  Check out system calls
0x4E and 0x4F.

Peter Fales
ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales

jerryp@tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) (08/08/86)

In article <536@ecn-pc.UUCP>, sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
> The following is program that I picked off a C Language Fido-Net BBS in the
> New Jersey area.  I have easily compiled it under the Computer Innovation's
> C86 compiler, but I have friends that have ported it to MS C, Aztec C, and
> Latice C, all with little or no problems.  Try several of the options.  The
> comments document the program.  It is also good learning in several of the
> DOS interupt calls.

I guess I don't know enough about the DOS interrupt calls, because I couldn't
make Robert's "ls" program run under Microsoft C on my IBM PC.  The problem
was the sysint() calls -- and, I think, the definition of the structure r in
several of the functions [I really *am* a novice at DOS! :-)].

Has anyone ported this version of "ls" to Microsoft C?
If so, would you mail me a copy (or post it, if there's enough demand)?
Thanks...

--Jerry Peek, Tektronix, Inc.
US Mail:    MS 74-222, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077
uucp:       {allegra,decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax}!tektronix!tektools!jerryp
CS,ARPAnet: jerryp%tektools@tektronix.csnet
Phone:      +1 503 627-1603