[net.wanted.sources] More on Wanted: Kermit for the Apple][

langbein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (John E. Langbein) (08/16/86)

I have recieved a lot of responses, but everyone who has responded
wants Kermit also. Now, on the assumption that I will post when I get
Apple Kermit, Will people who Have Apple kermit please respond, post
news, or perhaps post the source?
				John Langbein
				(langbein@topaz)

polish@lexington.columbia.edu (Nathaniel Polish) (08/18/86)

The person who maintains Apple ][ Kermit is Peter Trei.  Send him
mail at oc.trei@cu20b.columbia.edu

Nat Polish@cs.columbia.edu

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (08/23/86)

In article <5574@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> langbein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU
   (John E. Langbein) writes:

> I have recieved a lot of responses, but everyone who has responded
> wants Kermit also. Now, on the assumption that I will post when I get
> Apple Kermit, Will people who Have Apple kermit please respond, post
> news, or perhaps post the source?

I have one that seems to work.  It is the original Wisconsin version as
modified by SERDAC and is combination Applesoft Basic and Assembly code.
But, I don't want to become a disk copying operation.  And I don't see
what good posting the sources would be if one doesn't have the Kermit to
download them with!!!

If John could be persuaded to organize a distribution tree, with each
person willing to copy a disk and xerox about 25 pages of documentation,
I could probably be persuaded to mail out a few copies...

Ben Cranston
Systems Group
Computer Science Center    (this is important)
The University of Maryland
College Park, MD, 20742
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92

In article <1188@umd5> zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) writes:

> I have one that seems to work.  It is the original Wisconsin version as
> modified by SERDAC and is combination Applesoft Basic and Assembly code.

I need to learn to finish reading the group before I post.  It may be that
other versions are more up-to-date, the documentation on the one I have is
July 1985.  It claims to work with the following cards:

Hayes Micromodem II
Apple Super Serial Card
Cal Comp Sys 7710-D Serial Card
Apple Communications Serial Card
Novation Apple Cat Modem

I can vouch for Apple Super Serial and Cal Comp cards from personal use.
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92
                    umd2.BITNET     "via HASP with RSCS"

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (09/04/86)

Some people suggested that since they have other means of transfering
stuff from their Unix machines to their Apples I should post Kermit
anyway.  So I sat down and started to upload the source.  I didn't get
very far.  The Apple ][ that I use doesn't have lower case.  Unix is
not very friendly to upper-case-only terminals that try to use Kermit.
(To try it yourself, next time you sign on, type your userid in upper case.)

I got it uploaded to the Sperrysaur which is a case insensitive machine.
Unfortunately it doesn't like lines longer than 132 characters so I'm gonna
hafta do moby "join" commands when I get it FTPed up here.

But this exposes a pathological problem.  It probably works if you have the
lower case stuff, but what should the response of Kermit be to an unmodified
Apple?  Should there be a force-to-lower-case option?  Suggestions?

Oh, the other feature this Kermit has is a 70 column display-to-hires option.
It doesn't make it on a color TV, but it's barely tolerable on my B/W set.
On a video monitor it should be better...