[net.wanted.sources] Help with tape drives and 3B2s....

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) (10/16/86)

I have about 5 AT&T 3B2/300s linked together over 3BNET (ack!).  2 out of
the V have direct 9600b UUCP lines to our Vaxen.  I want to know if
their is any way that I can dump my 3B2 to a tape drive hanging off of
our vax.  I don't care what density.  I just sick of the floppy drives,
the way they they munch on disks, make nice sounds and stuff.  Thanks
in advance for any info/help/sources.

--Jon

Jon Eckhardt                  | jte@psuvax1.BITNET
736 W. Hamilton Ave.          | jte@psuecl.BITNET (VMS account)
State College, PA  16801      | jte@psuvaxg.BITNET (Last resort for bitnet)
UUCP = <allegra,ihnp4,atcgva,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte
186,000 miles per second.  Not just a good idea it's the law.
A mind is wonderfull but a waste.  Phone: 814-237-1901

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (10/18/86)

                                                            :-)
> I have about 5 AT&T 3B2/300s linked together over 3BNET (ack!).  2 out of
> the V have direct 9600b UUCP lines to our Vaxen.  I want to know if
> their is any way that I can dump my 3B2 to a tape drive hanging off of
> our vax.  I don't care what density.  I just sick of the floppy drives,
> the way they they munch on disks, make nice sounds and stuff.  Thanks
> in advance for any info/help/sources.

Hmm, at 9600 baud, it would an awful long time to backup 30 Meg :-).

I am going to make the assumption that your vax is running System V...

AT&T did at one point offer COMMKIT ethernet for the vax that was compatible
with 3Bnet.  I have it running on some vaxen here networked to some 3b20's
and it works just as well as 3bnet does, meaning it gets the job done.

Now, I haven't tried this, but I suppose it is possible to say something
to the effect of:

	nisend -d vax -a 666 -f "vaxtape" "3b2disk"

Of course, now you have to write a utility to be able to extract a file
from this tape on the vax if you don't want to redo the entire slice of
the 3b2.  I wouldn't think it to be too difficult, tho.

What would really be nice is to have nisend be able to interactively
read stdin and write across the net so you could do something like this:

	find . -print | cpio -ocm | nisend -d vax -f "vaxtape"

If you could do this, no disk space problems would present themselves.

Now, on another front, you could buy expansion modules and
use cartridge tapes.  I don't know if you could just buy one and just power
up and down the 5 3b2's and plug it in the back, or if it would be
worth the trouble.
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw
		"Use the Force, Read the Source"

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (10/19/86)

Before people start jumping down my throat, let me explain more on
this:

> What would really be nice is to have nisend be able to interactively
> read stdin and write across the net so you could do something like this:
>
> 	find . -print | cpio -ocm | nisend -d vax -f "vaxtape"
>
> If you could do this, no disk space problems would present themselves.

Obviously, this does not work too well now, as you would need an awful
lot of disk space on the 3b2, twice as much as the amount you are backing
up.  By interactive, I meant that the nisend would read its stdin and
transmit it as it is reading it.  If it could do this, it would not have
to buffer it in a file somewhere.  The "host" command available on
vaxen using the DEC HSC disk controller allows this.
--

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) (10/21/86)

In article <739@hropus.UUCP> jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) writes:

>                                                            :-)
>> I have about 5 AT&T 3B2/300s linked together over 3BNET (ack!).  2 out of
>> the V have direct 9600b UUCP lines to our Vaxen.  I want to know if
>> their is any way that I can dump my 3B2 to a tape drive hanging off of
>> our vax.  I don't care what density.  I just sick of the floppy drives,
>> the way they they munch on disks, make nice sounds and stuff.  Thanks
>> in advance for any info/help/sources.
>

>I am going to make the assumption that your vax is running System V...

Sorry, I forgot to add this.  My vaxen are running 4.2/4.3

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill.Stewart) (10/28/86)

In article <2311@psuvax1.UUCP> jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
>In article <739@hropus.UUCP> jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) writes:
>>> I have about 5 AT&T 3B2/300s linked together over 3BNET (ack!).  2 out of
>>> the V have direct 9600b UUCP lines to our Vaxen.  I want to know if
>>> their is any way that I can dump my 3B2 to a tape drive hanging off of
>>> our vax.  I don't care what density.  I just sick of the floppy drives,
>Sorry, I forgot to add this.  My vaxen are running 4.2/4.3

I assume you mostly want the capability to do backups?  If so, 9600
baud uucp is usually good enough; set up a cron script to
uucp the files to yourvax!~uucp/backup/`uname`/$ORIGPATH,
overnight, and make tapes in the daytime.  You can also get TCP/IP
for your 3B2s (I don't know the details - call 1-800-828-UNIX - but
it's a Wollongong port, probably called WIN/3B), and tie that
in to the Ethernet on your VAXen, if you have one.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs