[na.forsale] Password modems for sale

jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (04/23/85)

A friend recently got ahold of a few password 300/1200 modems cheaply
(bought a lot of them) and is interested in selling the ones he doesn't
need. They're brand new in box with doc/warranty. $360..

Reply to me via mail... (Why do I always agree to post these things?)
--
				Jordan K. Hubbard
				@ Genstar Rental Electronics.

I'm your private hacker, hacking for money, any old keyboard will do..

					- Tina Turing

jc@sdcsvax.UUCP (John Cornelius) (04/28/85)

>A friend recently got ahold of a few password 300/1200 modems cheaply
>(bought a lot of them) and is interested in selling the ones he doesn't
>need. They're brand new in box with doc/warranty. $360..
>
>Reply to me via mail... (Why do I always agree to post these things?)
>--
>				Jordan K. Hubbard
>				@ Genstar Rental Electronics.
>				Palo Alto, CA.
>				{sun, decwrl, dual}!twg!greipa!jordan
>
>I'm your private hacker, hacking for money, any old keyboard will do..
>
>					- Tina Turing

I don't know what business Genstar Rental Electronics is in but if I had to
venture a guess I would guess that I could go there to acquire a password modem
on either a purchase or a rental basis. The article has the appearance of a
thinly disguised commercial.

My company too has many things for sale but when I post them to the net they
are clearly commercial messages. When I have superior products for sale I much
prefer that the posting be done by my customers. They usually rave about them
more than I would anyway, almost to the point of bad taste. When my friends (my
company?) get overstocked on a 'good' deal it usually wasn't a brilliant move
nor one that I would brag about.

John Cornelius
Western Scientific Marketing
(619)565-6699

jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (05/02/85)

In article <825@sdcsvax.UUCP> jc@sdcsvax.UUCP (John Cornelius) writes:
>>A friend recently got ahold of a few password 300/1200 modems cheaply
>>(bought a lot of them) and is interested in selling the ones he doesn't
>>need. They're brand new in box with doc/warranty. $360..
>>
>>Reply to me via mail... (Why do I always agree to post these things?)
>
>I don't know what business Genstar Rental Electronics is in but if I had to
>venture a guess I would guess that I could go there to acquire a password modem
>on either a purchase or a rental basis. The article has the appearance of a
>thinly disguised commercial.
>
>My company too has many things for sale but when I post them to the net they
>are clearly commercial messages. When I have superior products for sale I much
>prefer that the posting be done by my customers. They usually rave about them
>more than I would anyway, almost to the point of bad taste. When my friends (my
>company?) get overstocked on a 'good' deal it usually wasn't a brilliant move
>nor one that I would brag about.
>
>John Cornelius
>Western Scientific Marketing
>(619)565-6699

Sorry to flood poor north america with this many 'F' lines, but
I couldn't think of anything to trim that wouldn't affect the
meaning of this reply (which shouldn't really be here, but I'll
continue John's mistake for ONE more article, any further comments to
net.flame). I am neither stupid or willing to commercialize the net
in any respect. Neither am I in the business of doing free advertising
for Genstar. I don't even WORK for Genstar, I'm a free lance
consultant. Whether or not Genstar has password modems around for
sale or lease is not my concern. The offer of sale is a genuinely
private one not connected with the company in any way.
If someone from National offered to sell his soldering iron would
you presume it was a company conspiracy to get rid of surplus
equipment?? John, please direct potentially damaging accusations
like this to me personally in the future.

				Damned if I do any more favors.
--
			Jordan K. Hubbard
			@ Genstar Rental Electronics.
			Palo Alto, CA.
			{sun, decwrl, dual}!twg!greipa!jordan

        This CPU's dead!

		"Er, no it's not. It's just in a wait state (holds down
		 reset switch) Look! It just executed an instruction!"

		It did not! You cycled the power!

		"No I didn't! It's just pausing for I/O!"

w8sdz@brl-tgr.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (05/07/85)

The $360 price offered in the original article isn't anything special.
I have seen the USR Password 300/1200 modem advertised for as low as
$305 from S-100, Inc. in BYTE magazine.
--
Keith Petersen

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (05/08/85)

In article <179@greipa.UUCP> jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>In article <825@sdcsvax.UUCP> jc@sdcsvax.UUCP (John Cornelius) writes:
>>>A friend recently got ahold of a few password 300/1200 modems cheaply
>>>(bought a lot of them) and is interested in selling the ones he doesn't
>>>need. They're brand new in box with doc/warranty. $360..
>>>
>>>Reply to me via mail... (Why do I always agree to post these things?)
>>
>>I don't know what business Genstar Rental Electronics is in but if I had to
>>	etc

I don't know the inner details, but I bought a Password, clearly from a
private individual (check made out to him, not a company) through the original
posting.  It works fine, I got it at a very good price, and the seller was
very helpful.  No complaint here, and I would recommend the same path for
anyone else - in fact, I already have.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
UUCP:   {ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs, leadsv, teklds}!cae780!gordon

ir320@sdcc6.UUCP (ir320) (05/08/85)

In article <10464@brl-tgr.ARPA> w8sdz@brl-tgr.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen (WSMR) <w8sdz>) writes:
>The $360 price offered in the original article isn't anything special.
>I have seen the USR Password 300/1200 modem advertised for as low as
>$305 from S-100, Inc. in BYTE magazine.
>--
>Keith Petersen

The $305 isn't so hot either.  I have seen SEVERAL ads in this months
byte for $199-$250 for a Password.

John Antypas
UC San Diego

uucp- ...!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix255
arpa=- ix255%sdcc6@sdcsvax.ARPA

jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (05/09/85)

A while ago, I posted an offer of password modems for sale for $360.00..
I posted this as a favor for a friend.  Never again..

For one thing, many have pointed out that the friggin' things now sell
for $300 or less.. News to me.. Other glanced at the byline of 'my company'
(I'm a consultant, so I don't work FOR the company) and immediately
gathered that it was a thinly disguised attempt to advertise.. Not true,
a purely individual effort. I have no desire to commercialize usenet, that
would surely kill it (are you listening, recruiters? er.. oops.. flame off)..
And finally, those who accused me of 'hyping' the modem, I own one and
like it.. Period.  If you want one and can get it for $300, go for it!
Take your girlfriend out to dinner on the extra $60.. For anyone that
bought them at $360, don't flame me.. I'm only the piano player..

God I love double periods..