				********

From: teklabs!tektronix!ucbcad!ucbesvax!turner
Newsgroups: net.misc
Title: Re: Dowsing Evidence Deja Vu; (a long re - (nf)

	Will you stop?  Please?  No more infinite-length, justified-but-
    uncentered articles on dowsing.  CENTER the text, indent for paragraph
    beginnings, and put in a table of contents and chapter titles.  I'm
    sure it will sell quite well in drugstores, if you would only send
    it to the right publishers.

	No, I Don't Have A Hangover,
	    Michael Turner

				********

There seem to be three points brought out here:

	a.  Michael Turner doesn't like the way these articles are
   formatted.  This is the first complaint I've seen on that issue;
   but I'll be happy to accomodate a reasonable request.  I have,
   perhaps selfishly, been arranging my articles on the basis of
   personal preference.

        b.  Michael Turner doesn't like the length of these articles.
   A funny thing about pseudo-science; it's easy to spread a lot of
   bull in a little space.  Unfortunately, a rational reply tends to
   take a lot more time and a lot more words.  This is why creationism
   for example, is so easy to spread around, and why it's so difficult
   to generate easily readable responses.  If net.misc is limited to
   short diarrhetic bursts, I'm afraid the content will shift
   accordingly.  I am certainly amenable to such a limit, but rather
   than contributing on the "dribs and drabs" level I think I'll leave
   the "Reader's Digest" condensed articles to others.

	c.  The final remarks about publishers and drugstores are a
   little harder to interpret, but I think I get the drift.  The
   impression that Michael Turner would rather not see anything of this
   sort on the net is pretty obvious.

I apologize to readers for airing this laundry on the net, but I
think Michael Turner raises some good points (albeit in a distasteful way).
Rather than letting "No, I Don't Have a Hangover" Turner single-handedly
dictate the way net contributions are made, however, I would suggest that
each and every concerned reader state their opinion, PUBLICLY, right
here on the net.  I've gotten a lot of favorable responses to my
contributions (thanks), but if most net readers are bored with them I'll
stop.  Perhaps it should be mentioned that the article on dowsing evidence
was requested by a considerable number of readers, some sarcastically but
most in complete sincerity.  If some sort of policy needs to be
established concerning maximum article length, then let's see some discussion.

Intellectual dogfights are one thing, but sophomoric temper-tantrums
leave me quite cold (even nice short ones, properly formatted).
I would appreciate some (intelligent) feedback on this issue.

			Whoops, already over 50 lines....

					Jeff Mayhew
					Tektronix

wdr (03/15/83)

 I approve of the format and content of your long articles.
an abstract at the beginning would help people some, though.

larson (03/18/83)

#R:teklabs:-182100:sri-unix:1300010:000:151
sri-unix!larson    Mar 17 22:32:00 1983

  I especially liked the message.  I remailed it to a friend who
does not (to my knowledge) read netnews.  An abstract would be a
nice addition.
	Alan

russ (03/19/83)

#R:teklabs:-182100:kirk:22600012:000:260
kirk!russ    Mar 18 09:05:00 1983

I liked the article, don't care about paragraph indenting, centering, etc.
I would appreciate shorter paragraphs in general, as this makes skimming
easier.  Of course this is a matter of style and taste, so do what you want.

Russ Nelson
...hp-pcd!hp-cvd!russ