[na.forsale] UNIX box cheap

bass@dmsd.UUCP (06/30/86)

The rest of the surplus Fastime equipment went fast, but the Fortune
box remains so we'll ask a new lower price of $3,000/offer. The configuration
includes a V7/4.1 mix of unix including C, vi, news, uucp, etc and hardware
consisting of a highspeed console memory mapped monitor, 5 serial ports,
M68000 cpu, 1mb ram, 800kb floppy, and a fast 55mb hard disk full of archived
net.sources and more. Great for small software development shop or home.

We also have the Emulex 22bit Qbus 9trk tape controller and Cipher F880
autoloading transport left -- asking $1,800/offer for both. Great for
LSI 11/23, 11/73, or MicroVax based system. Looks like a TSV11 subsystem.

For more info call John @ (805)541-1575.
We will ship UPS pre-paid anywhere in the US.
--

John Bass (DBA: Fastime, DBA:DMS Design)
DMS Design (System Design, Performance and Arch Consultants)

faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (07/01/86)

Hey, I thought that we weren't supposed to be doing this sort of advertising
on the net... I know there's a fine line between giving out information and
marketing products, but let's try to keep things reasonable...

	Wayne

bass@dmsd.UUCP (07/05/86)

In article <763@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU>, faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:

> Hey, I thought that we weren't supposed to be doing this sort of advertising
> on the net... I know there's a fine line between giving out information and
> marketing products, but let's try to keep things reasonable...
>
> 	Wayne

Why the bitch??? We are not a Fortune dealer and certainly aren't marketing
fortune products other than than trying to sell ONE unit that is surplus
to us. We closed an office and had a fair amount of surplus equipment
as we settled into our new space ... several people got a good buy on modems
and other gear that we no longer needed .... We currently still have
two units in use, and the third is still for sale ... at yet a lower price
since we haven't any responses yet ... now asking $2,500/offer
it's gonna get sold before it gathers much dust .... make an offer.

John (805)541-1575

--

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (07/05/86)

In article <254@dmsd.UUCP>, bass@dmsd.UUCP (John Bass) writes:
 > > I thought that we weren't supposed to be doing this sort of advertising
 > > on the net... I know there's a fine line between giving out information and
 > > marketing products, but let's try to keep things reasonable...
 >
 > Why the bitch??? We are not a Fortune dealer and certainly aren't marketing
 > fortune products other than than trying to sell ONE unit that is surplus
 > to us...

I wasn't replying to your letter, but rather the marketing survey from dual.
Sorry if I caused any confusion...

	Wayne

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (07/06/86)

In article <254@dmsd.UUCP> bass@dmsd.UUCP (John Bass) writes:
>In article <763@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU>, faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>> Hey, I thought that we weren't supposed to be doing this sort of advertising
>> on the net... I know there's a fine line between giving out information and
>> marketing products, but let's try to keep things reasonable...
>Why the bitch???

The problem should be obvious, but apparently it isn't.

Many sites can justify receiving/forwarding net news only because
workers at the site get enough benefit from the technical newsgroups
to make it worth the investment.  Several of the important technical
newsgroups already border on the verge of being more trouble than
they're worth for many sites due to the low percentage of informative
postings.  If these newsgroups are opened up to such advertisements,
it's a good bet that their noise/signal ratio would rise rapidly.

There are several alternatives for posting "for sale" or "want to buy"
or "job wanted" or "positions available" messages besides technical
newsgroups.  For one thing, there are newsgroups specifically for
this; then there are also BBSes, which USEnet is NOT, and a variety
of trade journals, want-ads, etc.  Please use these for commercials
and keep the technical newsgroups relatively technical.  Thanks.