[net.math.symbolic] MACSYMA vs. SMP

lseward@randvax.UUCP (Larry Seward) (10/31/84)

Forwarded news...

Date: 29 October 1984 14:16-EDT
From: Jeffrey P. Golden <JPG@MIT-MC>
Subject: MACSYMA vs. SMP

In answer to Jim Purtillo's recent mail:
I have used SMP very little, so I am not a good candidate to answer your
mail.  It would be nice if people who have ready access to both SMP and
MACSYMA could come up with some test suites of examples that come up in
regular use (i.e. not canned examples produced by Inference or Symbolics)
to compare for capability, ease of use, and speed.
Some classes of examples where I would think MACSYMA would shine over
SMP include: multivariate factorization, indefinite integration especially
where the Risch code is used, and problems where exact answers are required.
SMP tends to introduce floating point numbers pretty early in the game.

It would be great if some comparisons could be run by those who have SMP
and MACSYMA on the same machine.

purtilo@uiucdcsb.UUCP (11/05/84)

Regarding the MACSYMA vs. SMP question recently posed ....

Thanks to all who responded in mail:  to briefly summarize what came
in, uniformly all who bothered to comment at all commented in favor
of macsyma. Folks tended to base their opinions NOT on relative speed
or any hard-to-judge criteria such as "ease of use", but on correctness.
The examples cited by Jeff Golden in an earlier news item (e.g. multi-
variate factorization or too-early introduction of floating point)
were noted by many.

To follow up on a suggestion Jeff made (in the aforementioned note),
I think this forum might be a pretty good place to contrast use of
the various systems available as applied in different ways. Perhaps
a reasonable ``test suite'' of problems could ultimately be derived;
but since we all know the dangers of comparing systems solely on performance
on a limited set of problems, I submit that the value will not so much
be just the set of problems assembled as it will be the value of deciding
exactly what/how we want to measure. Anyway, there is precedent: every
once in a while such an article appears in SIGSAM, e.g., so perhaps
this forum could be used to assist in (1) making it easier for the
general public to try the tests for themselves, and (2) allowing the
public to have more direct feedback on what is tested.

Cheers -
			Jim