[net.math.symbolic] Wanted: info. on "affordable" symbolic math systems

brad@kontron.UUCP (Brad Yearwood) (02/26/86)

Are there symbolic math packages that are available at a cost that
would be within reason for an individual who wants to experiment
and perhaps explore the inner workings?

I am aware of the existence of MAPLE and REDUCE, but do not know
who to contact about distribution information and costs.

MACSYMA seems nearly hopeless - even the DOE-MACSYMA version, when
obtained through NESC, seems to require about $2100 of initial fees.
Does anyone know of a legitimate DOE-MACSYMA leakage that harmlessly
bypasses the NESC extravagance?

I would appreciate pointers to distribution information on MAPLE
and REDUCE, and any clues about DOE-MACSYMA.

Another question - is anyone aware of work on systems which can explain
their manipulations in terms of human-recognized principles?  Example:

  I applied the Grundleblatt Expansion to get:

    (immense expression)

  then applied Woodnymph's Rule to simplify to:

    (smaller expression)

  which trivial algebra simplifies to:

    1/x.

Brad Yearwood
Kontron Electronics  {voder, pyramid, loral}!kontron!brad
Mountain View, CA

dube@csd2.UUCP (Tom Dube) (02/27/86)

  Last year, I played around with a package called "mu-MATH / mu-SYMB".
mu-SYMB was a symbolic language (something like LISP), and mu-MATH was
a symbolic math computation package written in mu-SYMB (source provided).
This small program performed quite well for equation solving.  I've been
using MACSYMA lately, and the flavor of the manipulations seems quite
similar.  I believe the cost of the "mu-MATH" package for the PC was about
$400.  I don't remember who was marketing it, or if it is available for other
systems.  A former work-mate had ordered the package through an ad in BYTE.
You should be able to find a reference through that magazine.

jp@lanl.ARPA (James Potter) (02/27/86)

Try muMATH by The Soft Warehouse.  P.O. Box 11174, Honolulu, HI,96828
It runs on a generic MSDOS machine.  A CP/M versionis also available, but
there are restrictions because of the 64K memory limit.
I have used muMATH for symbolic matrix manipulation in network theory
(electrical networks) and found it to be as useful as MACSYMA.
I don't remember the current price, but it is also available through
MicroSoft call 800-426-9400 for name of nearest dealer.
There is some user support through a newsletter, also.

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

rothstei%kentvax.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (Michael Rothstein) (03/03/86)

From: <VM03D4%WVNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Date: 3 March 1986 14:24:53 EST

Subject: Re: affordable symbolic math systems

muMATH-muSIMP 83 is available from SOFT WAREHOUSE and from
MICROSOFT. Cost is $300 for MS DOS version and $250 for CPM
version. It provides a TRACE capability for showing what the
system does, but documentation on this is rather skimpy.
I am publishing a series of short articles in ACCESS ( Journal
of Microcomputer Applications ) describing the system. I have
gone through differentiation.

Dave Stoutmeyer of the SOFT WAREHOUSE has also written PICOMATH,
a very small systemwhich is in BASIC and does trigonometric and
polynomial manipulations. It is probably of more interest in
showing how a Computer Algebra system works than for serious
work.

					  William Squire
					  Mechanical & Aerospace
					       Engineering