[fa.info-mac] Info-Mac archives, Message 2 of 7

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (07/06/84)

From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@washington.arpa>
   1) 17-May Jerry E. Pournelle   Outside Development & Color
   2) 17-May Bollman.Wbst@XEROX.A MacWrite & asci Files
   3) 17-May David.Anderson at CM software updates
   4) 18-May Sam Hahn             Advice sought re Lisa II
   5) 18-May Duane.Williams at CM MacBug Report
   6) 18-May Duane.Williams at CM software updates
   7) 18-May Tom.Wood@CMU-RI-FAS. Re: software updates - "Set Startup"
   8) 18-May Harry McCaffrey  PR- Imagewriter Ribbons
   9) 18-May Dick Kalagher        External Drives
  10) 18-May CAULKINS@USC-ECL.ARP Imagewriter ribbons
  11) 18-May Edward.Tecot at CMU- MacTrick
  12) 19-May Mike Schuster        what should undo do?
  13) 19-May Michael Rubin        Re: MacBug Report
  14) 19-May Rich Zellich         C. ITOH PRINTER RIBBONS
  15) 19-May Bob Rees             Re: Tektronix terminal emulation on the MAC.
  16) 19-May Eric                 MacTEP and MS-BASIC query
  17) 20-May Bruce.Lucas at CMU-C bugs
  18) 20-May John W. Peterson     Handy feature
  19) 20-May Tony Siegman         Editing MS-BASIC Programs?
  20) 21-May Ed Pattermann        Mac fac tours
  21) 23-May Leslie Zatz          BAD DISKS
  22) 23-May Tony Siegman         Question re MS-BASIC Output Window and Screen
  23) 23-May Kenneth Clark        bit map address...
  24) 23-May Stewart French       MacForth Impressions
  25) 23-May Bob Rees             Re: bugs

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: 17 May 1984 01:52-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Outside Development & Color
To: leo @ MIT-PAMELA
cc: info-mac @ MIT-PAMELA, leo.log @ MIT-PAMELA
ReSent-date: Thu 17 May 84 08:22:13-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

This may be a repeat; if so, apologies.  System crashed last
night after I sent this.
	Yesterday Aplle informed Dr. H that he had, after all,
been accepted as a developer, and his Mac will arrive in two
weeks.  No rason for change of heart given.
	You have, of course, all seen the Infoworld.
	I continue to like the Macintosh myself, but can't in
good conscience recommend naive users to get one until the
software actually appears.  I sure do wish it had a USEFUL desk
calculator in the desk tools.
	JEP
	PS: anyone know how to write one that is simple and easy
to use, and could take the place of my TI-59 so I could puyt the
Mac where the calculator resides?

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: 17 May 84 14:28:05 EDT (Thursday)
From: Bollman.Wbst@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: MacWrite & asci Files
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Bollman.Wbst@XEROX.ARPA
ReSent-date: Thu 17 May 84 16:50:19-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I'm sending this message for friend, not on the net, Tom Moenter.

"Has anyone successfully used MacWrite to edit standard asci files.  I
used the method from pg 18 of the MacWrite manual and when I try to open
it, I get a dialog box saying, unable to open document.  Any
suggestions?  Do I have a buggy MacWrite?

Tom"

Jim...

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: 17 May 1984 18:42:29-EDT
From: David.Anderson at CMU-CS-G
Subject: software updates
ReSent-date: Thu 17 May 84 16:50:22-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I haven't seen much discussion of the software updates and new fonts, so I
thought a quick run-down on what I was able to get from my local dealer
might be in order.  Here is what I received (on 2 disks):

    upgraded and new software:	    upgraded and new fonts:

	MacWrite 2.20			Geneva 10, 20 (and others fixed)
	MacPaint 1.3			New York 10, 20, 36!
	Finder 1.1g			Seattle 10, 20
	Disk Copy utility		Los Angeles 12, 24
					Toronto (fixed)
					Cairo 18 (pictures)

MacWrite:  subscripts and superscripts have been added.  The tops of
superscripted characters are lopped off unless they're in a smaller font
size.  There seems to be no problem with subscripts.  The 10 point font
sizes are available as choices, but not the 20 or 36 point fonts (although
they are used for printing, and look great!).

MacPaint:  the Print command has been replaced by Print Draft and Print
Final.  Print Draft does what Print used to, while Print Final goes into the
Imagewriter's high resolution mode and uses some clever tricks to smooth out
the jaggies.  The horizontal streakiness is lessened, and everything I've
printed looks better.

Finder:  the new "about the finder" is cute.  There is one new option under
Special:  Set Startup.  If an application is selected, Set Startup will
cause that application to be loaded whenever the Mac is booted from that
disk.  The only way I have found of turning this off is to load another
application onto the disk, make it the startup program, and then delete this
other application.

The number of swaps seems to be slightly reduced, as well as the time to
start the finder.  The order in which windows get repainted seems to be
different, but that may just be my imagination.

Disk Copy utility:  does a complete copy in 4 swaps (uses screen memory).

Fonts:  the Geneva "l" and Toronto "q" have been fixed.  Seattle is sort of
a wider Geneva, Los Angeles is a hand-written font, and Cairo contains a
multitude of cute pictographs.

I discovered how much I need a hard disk when I had to install all of this
on about 10 different disks, and make up several different collections of
fonts.  Anyone seen the Davong or Tecmar units?

Message 4 -- ************************
Date: Thu 17 May 84 17:25:34-PDT
From: Sam Hahn <SHahn@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Advice sought re Lisa II
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:03:04-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Can anyone who knows please answer this:

How compatible with the Macintosh software is the Macworks OS that runs on
the Lisas?  How much does the different screen handling affect pictures
benerated on one and seen on the other?  Is aspect ratio adjusted within the
Lisa/Macworks, or do pictures look funny?  How much of the Macintosh tools
is available in Macworks?  Do the keyboards differ, or differ enough to
cause problems in certain places?  Does Macworks run concurrent processes
in the Lisa's 512k?  If not, why not, since I just read it was structured to
do so.  Does Macworks allow hooks into the Lisa OS?

It might be evident that I'm thinking of the Lisa II instead of buying
a Macintosh, mostly because of the probably shorter order time, and
also because that once the Mac gets 512k, it should be pretty close to
the price of a Lisa II w/o hard disk.

		looking for advice,	-- sam [shahn@sumex,samuel@score]
-------

Message 5 -- ************************
Date: 17 May 1984 20:54:32-EDT
From: Duane.Williams at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: MacBug Report
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:03:16-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

     While using the Font Mover I ran out of space and the program told me
that it couldn't make the requested move.  I said OK (there was no choice),
deleted some fonts from the Fonts file and then requested the failed move
again.  It succeeded.  Shortly after exiting the Font Mover I noticed that
Menu titles, as well as other text appearing on the screen, e.g., in dialog
boxes, were appearing in a new font.  It looked like Seattle, which I had
moved into the System File; so I loaded MacWrite and wrote some text in
Seattle to compare.  The shapes compared, but not the sizes, which I could
not duplicate.  Dialog boxes that appeared upon changing to a new disk and
all, that is.  Sometimes they came up completely blank.  Luckily I knew what
they were supposed to say!

Duane (dtw@cmu-cs-ius)

Message 6 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 02:38:35-EDT
From: Duane.Williams at CMU-CS-IUS
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:03:57-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

In regard to David Anderson's recent post:

One way to turn off a "Set Startup" is to make the Finder the startup
application.

The number of swaps required to copy files to another disk using the new
Finder is not "slightly reduced".  It is greatly reduced.  The 46K Finder
can itself be copied in 1 swap; so the new buffer size is >= 46K.

Duane (dtw@cmu-cs-ius)

Message 7 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 08:48-EST
From: Tom.Wood@CMU-RI-FAS.ARPA
Subject: Re: software updates - "Set Startup"
To: David.Anderson at CMU-CS-G
Cc: info-mac@sumex-aim
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:04:24-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

    To "undo" a Set Startup, select the Finder Icon and pull down Set
Startup.  This effective restores the "normal behavior," which is to
run the Finder on start up.

    Is there any way to find out WHICH application on a disk is the
startup application, without actually performing the experiment?

			      -Tom Wood

Message 8 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984  7:29:02 MDT (Friday)
From: Harry McCaffrey  PR-C <hmccaffr@wsmr02>
Subject: Imagewriter Ribbons
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Cc: hmccaffr@wsmr02
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:04:28-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Concerning  Randy Frank's query on ribbons for the Imagewriter.  I was
able to obtain ribbons from my local CTA store here in Las Cruces, NM.
However  beware, there are at  least  two  ribbons  available  at  the
current  time.   I almost bought the Apple version at approx. $10.90 a
ribbon.  There is also a C. Itoh version available (remember that  the
Imagewriter  is  a modified C. Itoh) at about $8.90.  Don't hold me to
the prices, but they are in the  ballpark.  Granted, both  prices  are
rip-offs,  and  we  certainly need some third parties dealing in these
consumables, however they appear to be the only ones available at this
time.  The only number on the ribbon  I  bought  is  2248  (on  a  tag
affixed   to   the   plastic  bag).   Locally,  Team  Electronics  and
Computerland are also dealing in Macs so they may stock ribbons.  Team
does have the Mac T-shirt.

H.C. McCaffrey
WSMR

Message 9 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 10:20:53 EDT (Friday)
From: Dick Kalagher <kalagher@mitre>
Subject: External Drives
To: info-mac at sumex-aim
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:04:34-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

My local dealer--a small East Coast dealer--has a stack of external drives in.
They do indeed get their power from the Mac. They are small and light and
a delight.

The new software update is fantastic!  The 10 point fonts are clear and look
more like the size of a normal typewriter. Cario-18 has to be seen to
be appreciated.

Message 10 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 0732-PDT
From: CAULKINS@USC-ECL.ARPA
To:   info-mac@SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:04:39-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

They are certainly in short supply; The ribbon I got with my Imagewriter
began to die after about 90 days of moderate use.  Took me a week and lots
of phone calls to locate a ribbon.  I ha the store hold it for me, and
picked it up the same day.  When I got there I tried to buy 2, and they
said no; they were saving "the other one" for their own Imagewriter.

Particulars:

It is a cloth ribbon; the box says:

Ribbon Cassette
CLABK-12802
BLACK

No manufacturer given; just says "made in Japan".

The Apple part number seems to be AZM0077; I paid $10.95 for it.

Dave C
-------

Message 11 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 11:23:39-EDT
From: Edward.Tecot at CMU-CS-H
Subject: MacTrick
ReSent-date: Fri 18 May 84 11:04:41-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

	I discovered this while perusing Inside Mac:

	If there is something marked as a generic document, and it is
	really an application (such as realfinder on the guided tour disk)
	You can run it by holding the feature (control) key while
	double-clicking.  Btw, this will work for any file, so you can
	re-boot by doing this to the finder file or crash the Mac by
	doing it to a random document.

Message 12 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 1147-PDT
Subject: what should undo do?
From: Mike Schuster <MIKES@CIT-20>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Sat 19 May 84 16:46:17-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

After trying out the new versions of MacWrite 2.20 and Note Pad 1.1g,
I noticed that the handling of the Undo command is still inconsistent.
For example, try the following in both MacWrite and the Note Pad:

   type the two words: apple macintosh
   double click the word: macintosh
   cut
   double click the word: apple
   undo

MacWrite will not let you perform the last Undo command.  The Note Pad
will undo the Cut command, leaving the word macintosh selected.

There is a more interesting senario:

   type the two words: apple macintosh
   double click the word: macintosh
   cut
   undo
   click just after the word: macintosh
   type the two words: and lisa
   undo

MacWrite will remove the two words: and lisa.  The Note Pad will
remove the three words: macintosh and lisa.

Personally, I think MacWrite's handling of undo is better, but both
ways are reasonable.  In any case, the Note Pads Undo works better now
than it did in the old software release.  However, since
undo/cut/copy/paste is so basic to the whole user interface, it should
be consistent.

Mike
(mikes@cit-20)
-------

Message 13 -- ************************
Date: Fri 18 May 84 17:22:08-EDT
From: Michael Rubin <RUBIN@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: MacBug Report
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Sat 19 May 84 16:46:19-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Try starting up FontMover again and find out what fonts it *thinks* are in
the System file now....

<flame on> It seems that running out of disk space in the middle of an
operation confuses most Mac applications.  Is this a weakness of the Mac O.S.
(leaves the disk or memory in a random state when it reports an out-of-space
error) or just a misfeature of the applications? <flame off>

--Mike Rubin
-------

Message 14 -- ************************
Date:     Fri, 18 May 84 18:23:30 CDT
From:     Rich Zellich <zellich@almsa-1>
To:       INFO-MAC@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject:  C. ITOH PRINTER RIBBONS
ReSent-date: Sat 19 May 84 16:46:21-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

You should check out some of the companies that are forever sending out
their ADP supplies catalogs.  The latest \inmac/ catalog lists 2 different
ribbons for C. Itoh printers, with the more expensive of the 2 being
$6.95 in quantities of 1-11, $6.35 for 12-23, and $5.95 for 24-47.  The
other one is listed at $5.50, $5.15, and $4.70.  \inmac/ charges sales tax
in 18 states and the District of Columbia, but does not charge for
shipping & handling (except for Purchase Order sales, and selected furniture
and other similarly-bulky items).
-Rich

Message 15 -- ************************
Date: Fri, 18 May 84 17:36:31 EDT
From: Bob Rees <rrees@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Tektronix terminal emulation on the MAC.
To: "Jones Dan%LLL"@lll-mfe.arpa
Cc: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
ReSent-date: Sat 19 May 84 16:46:23-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Creative Solutions Inc. (home of MacFORTH) claims to be working on
a Graphics Terminal Emulator ("capable of Tektronics 4010 emulation
and other popular graphics terminals").  Targeted availability is
"2nd quarter 1984".  MacFORTH was shipped only 1 month late, so maybe
we'll see this by July.  For more info, contact:
	Creative Solutions, Inc.
	4081 Randolph Road
	Rockville, MD  20852
	(301) 984-0262

Date: 16 May 84 22:58:39-PDT (Wed)
To: info-micro@BRL-AOS.ARPA
From: ihnp4!mhuxl!mhuxj!mhuxi!aluxe!lra@UCB-VAX.ARPA
Subject: Tektronix 4014 for the Mac
ReSent-date: Sat 19 May 84 16:42:38-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

In the "What's New?" section of the May BYTE I noticed a description
of a Tektronix 4014 emulator for the Lisa.  Since I have a Mac, I
gave the the people a call and asked if they were doing anything for
the Mac.  The answer was a definite YES, and they are hoping to
ship product around July 1.  The person I talked with said the emulation
was pretty complete, multiple character sizes e.g., though he mentioned
that dotted lines were too expensive to do at high speeds and were't
implemented.  The price wasn't set, but expect $200-$300.  For
more info contact:

	Mesa Graphics
	POB 506
	Los Alamos, NM   87544
	(505) 672-1998

Lonnie R. Abelbeck
AT&T Bell Laboratories
mhuxi!aluxe!lra

Message 16 -- ************************
Date: 18 May 1984 17:48:18 PDT
Subject: MacTEP and MS-BASIC query
From: Eric <ANDERSON@USC-ISIB>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM
cc: anderson@USC-ISIB
ReSent-date: Sat 19 May 84 16:46:26-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

What is the current version of MS-BASIC for the MAC? I have a version
46760 bytes long, created 1/1/04 (??), and the system file was
modified on 7/17/05 (??). I cannot get MacTEP v1.81 to work on my
system. (I have a program fragment that will wedge the MAC, or
eject/spin the disk to demonstrate my problem). Has anyone else had
similar difficulties bringing up MacTEP with these versions?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
-------
-------

Message 17 -- ************************
Date: 20 May 1984 02:22:22-EDT
From: Bruce.Lucas at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: bugs
ReSent-date: Sun 20 May 84 15:30:36-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Here's another inconsistency between Notepad and MacWrite: the
interpretation of what character the cursor is pointing to is different.  In
one (I forget which is which) pointing anywhere within a character selects
the point just before that character; in the other, pointing within the
first half of the character selects the point before the character and
selecting in the second half of the character selects the point just after
that character.  This is annoying e.g. when making selections: I frequently
find myself selecting one character too few or one too many at the beginning
of the selection, because I don't have any consistent notion of exactly what
will be selected.

There's another asymmetry in the Quickdraw routines: the lines going from
say (x,y) to (x+dx,y+dy) and from (x,y) to (x+dx,y-dy), where dx is big and
dy is small, make their steps (jags) at different x positions.

By the way, I hope Monaco 9 isn't going to be the font used for MacTerminal;
it's unsuitable for that purpose in a number of respects: the worst problems
are that capital "O" and digit "0" are identical; capital "I" and small "l"
are virtually identical.  (Solution: add a stroke to the zero and add
crossbars to the "I").  Some aesthetic problems: given that it is a fixed
width font, the "i", "j", and "l" should have one-pixel "serifs" sticking
out to the left at the top, so that they don't look so lonely in that big
space; the "%" is rather unreadable.  The digit "1" is too far right in its
space and makes strings of digits containing it look uneven.  Given these
changes, "1" would be more distinguishable from "l" and "I" if it had a
crossbar at the bottom.

Message 18 -- ************************
Date: Sun 20 May 84 02:21:29-MDT
From: John W. Peterson <JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Handy feature
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Sun 20 May 84 15:30:37-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The latest version of the system (1.1g) has a new addition to the
standard file dialogs (e.g., "Open" in MacPaint/Write): If you type any
letter A-Z, the filename window scrolls to the first file starting with
that letter.
-------

Message 19 -- ************************
Date: Sun 20 May 84 08:29:43-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Editing MS-BASIC Programs?
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Sun 20 May 84 15:30:40-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

     Is there any way to move or edit multi-line segments of an
MS-BASIC program, or move an entire program to MacWrite for editing
and back?  (Although CUT and COPY are listed as active EDIT options
when a LIST window is open, they don't seem to do anything).

     I've tried saving the program as an ASCII file, then moving that
to a MacWrite diskette, but no go.  (Maybe save it as an ASCII file;
write an MS-BASIC program that reads that file and rewrites it to
the Clipboard, then.... but how would I reverse the process?)

-------

Message 20 -- ************************
Date: Mon 21 May 84 15:22:08-PDT
From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Mac fac tours
To: info-mac-stanford@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

We have just been informed by Apple that the tours of the Macintosh
factory scheduled for today (Monday) and Wednesday have been cancelled due
to scheduling errors on their part.  My sincerest apologies to those
planning to take the tour today or Wednesday.  You can reschedule to
Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday (Tuesday preffered) by calling 497-9213 or
sending messages to m.chad@sierra or G.glass@lotsa.  Anyone signed up
for today or Wednesday can also just show up Tuesday, Thursday or
Friday and we will get you in.

I hope that this is just a PR blunder on Apple's part and not an
indication that PR with Stanford has a low priority for them.  With the
slow arrival rate of Macs at Micro-disk despite high orders and
interest one wonders...
					Chad
-------

Message 21 -- ************************
Date: Sat 19 May 84 22:19:26-PDT
From: Leslie Zatz <ZATZ@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: BAD DISKS
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Wed 23 May 84 08:59:21-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I just purchased a box of 10 diskettes for the MAC. Three of them will not
insert fully into the drive.  They were a box of Apple disks, Serial No.
W272412. The bad disks would not push in the last couple of mm. to click into
the slot.  There is no obvious size discrrepancy, but appearance suggests that
metal cover over exposed medium may be sprung or bent out.  Supported by
slight catching as disk withdrawn. Remaining seven in box wworked fine.
Confirmed by repeated tries to insert.

Better check each diskette when youpurchase them!!!!!!
-------

Message 22 -- ************************
Date: Sun 20 May 84 15:28:06-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Question re MS-BASIC Output Window and Screen
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Wed 23 May 84 08:59:22-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The MS-BASIC manual says one can PSET 512 columns horizontally and
342 rows vertically on the Macintosh screen.  No matter how I pull
the output window around, however, I can't seem to actually plot more
than about 292 rows vertically in the viewable window, while by sliding
the window sideways I can actually plot horizontal indices well above
512.

Is there a way to paint the full screen within the limits of MS-BASIC?
Or do I have to start CALLin the QuickDraw routines in Appendix E of
the Manual?

(Pardon me if I'm asking some trivial questions here...)
-------

Message 23 -- ************************
Date:           Mon, 21 May 84 14:58:06 PDT
From:           Kenneth Clark <clark@AEROSPACE>
To:             info-mac@sumex-aim
CC:             clark@AEROSPACE
Subject:        bit map address...
ReSent-date: Wed 23 May 84 08:59:24-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

  Does anyone with access to "Inside Mac" know if the address
of the bit map for Mac's screen can be changed? (i.e. flipping
between two bit maps to do true animation...)
Thanks...

Message 24 -- ************************
Date: Mon 21 May 84 15:22:01-PDT
From: Stewart French
Subject: MacForth Impressions
Sender: SFRENCH@USC-ECLB.ARPA
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Wed 23 May 84 08:59:27-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Hello everyone,

I purchased (and received) MacForth a couple of weeks ago.
I am not a Forth hacker.  I am learning this stuff as I go.  With this in
mind I will now give you my initial impressions of MacForth:

1. It is robust.  There seems to be a great many "words" to choose from
   to perform needed operations.  There are so many that it is difficult
   to figure out which ones to use to gain the most efficiency!
2. The on-line tutorial is totally inadequate!  And, there is no (good) Forth
   information supplied with the system.  You better know it before you
   start or go get a good book on Forth when you start or you will be very
   frustrated.
3. The system is extremely easy to crash.  I crash it all the time and have
   to reboot (the bomb appears, etc..)  This is very annoying. I haven't
   trashed a disk yet, and that is good.
4. The functions that I want to use the most TExxxxx and the words associated
   with the serial ports and control areas of windows
   are not supported in level 1 !  This is most annoying,
   especially since these functions are used in the editor and the demo
   programs.  I have to hack trying everything and anything, and end crashing
   the system more often than not.
5. The file system interface seems to have some bugs in it.  I have tried
   opening text files reading in lines and putting them on the screen (a small
   "type" command.)  The interface seems to get an eof after the first line
   when a word is compiled then executed, but works correctly when each
   word (in the compiled word)  is interpreted.  I have been unable to figure
   a work-around to this problem yet...
6. The documentation I got did not match the system I was supplied.
7. CSI is very responsive to problems.  I talked with a fellow named
   Richard Alexander.  He was very willing to help me with any problem
   I had.

Overall, I feel like this system will be very nice when the bugs are ironed
out.  It bothers me when a company markets an alpha or beta release of a
product (and makes us pay for it.)  But this seems to be prevalent any more...
too bad.  I am looking forward to Level 2 (and the bug fixes for Level 1.)

Stewart French  SFRENCH @ USC-ECLB.ARPA
Texas Instruments
214-462-5393  (for a little while longer)
-------

Message 25 -- ************************
Date: Mon, 21 May 84 13:29:26 EDT
From: Bob Rees <rrees@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: Re: bugs
To: Bruce.Lucas@cmu-cs-ius.arpa
Cc: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
ReSent-date: Wed 23 May 84 08:59:30-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The font used by the MacFORTH system source editor has the same kinds
of ambiguities:  capital "O" and digit "0" are exactly identical;
capital "I", small "l", and vertical-bar "|" are exactly identical.
Not real great for programming in a language where any character can
appear in any context!  I would love to modify that font so that every
character has a unique appearance (aesthetics are clearly secondary).
The font is one of the standard (first release) Mac fonts -- the
only non-proportional sans-serif font in the set (12-point Monaco? --
I don't have a Mac handy to check now, and I never can remember which
font name goes with which font).  But how do you modify a font?
Using FORTH, I can twiddle any bit in memory or on the disk, but how
do I find the right place?  I don't have access to a Lisa cross-
development system.  Any suggestions?

-------