[net.misc] Where To Live?

jdd (03/29/83)

I'd like to do a survey on where people live, why they like or dislike it
there, where they'd \like/ to live, and why they'd like it there.

Please send replies to me and I'll summarize for the net.

Cheers,
John DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray ("Need I Say More?") Hill

jdd (04/07/83)

I've received a few more replies to my Where-Do-You-Live query, reprinted
below.  These complete the set of replies I received, so if yours is missing
I didn't receive it.

When I originally posted my query I intended to do some sort of statistical
analysis of the data I received.  The way it's worked out, though, is that
I'm serving an editorial function, digestifying the (slightly edited)
well you think this works, or how well you think it works may influence your
opinion on digests.

One respondant, Peter Honeyman (allegra!honey), was extremely unhappy that I
had published his light-hearted reply to my query.  My apologies to Peter;
I'll try to be more careful of such replies in the future.

Cheers,
John ("Don't Really Kill Me, Peter") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

>From amd70!pn Mon Apr  4 03:57:30 1983
Subject: Where to Live

... Many of your respondents like where they grew up. I grew up in Florida
and would never consider living there. The kind of job I like is hard to
find, too many old people, especially on the roads, nothing to do, and the
climate is horribly humid. I went to school in Cambridge MA and pretty much
liked it.  Having four seasons are nice, though for a week or so each summer
it was unbearable. Lots of interesting people and lots to do. Jobs are
reasonable abundant. I came to California because I'd never been here before
and wanted to see what it was like before I settled down. I like it here. I
get to work on what I want. Pay is good. There are many people of similar
interests.  Climate can't be beat, except it'd be nice to have snow at
Christmas. Housing prices are the worst part, but most things aren't too
outrageous. Mountains and ocean are reasonably accessible. I wish I'd come
here twenty years ago, before all the people like me came (selfish, huh?).
Someday I'd like to check out San Diego.

-----

>From decvax!goutal Tue Apr  5 18:14:21 1983
Subject: where I live

I live in southern New Hampshire, 10 miles from Massachusetts, 30 miles from
the coast.  I really like it.  It's a little more built up than I like (tho'
I can't give you figures at the moment to illustrate) -- may move north
someday.  I grew up on Cape Cod, and hence like to be within driving
distance, at least, of the coast.  Southern NH is neat for me because it
isn't overly hilly or overgrown;  as a result of living on Cape Cod all
those years, I seem to have devoloped a mild fear of trees and hills, just a
sort of uncomfortable feeling.  I love the rocks and crags poking out from
the trees and bushes here in New England.  I *like* the reserve of folks
around here, a feature of our culture that most outsiders misunderstand.
It's not that we're cold or impersonal or whatever, or even that we don't
show it -- we're just more subtle about it, and we all understand each
other.  Also, culture around here seems more stable to me -- we don't go in
for book-burnings or chain gangs, riots or whatnot.  Yes, I know, the
barroom gang-rape is all the news these days.  I feel that that particular
incident is rather out of character hereabouts -- not unknown, or unique, or
whatever, it's just that some areas of the country positively repel me
because of a reputation for continual high crime and general foment on a
state- wide or regional basis.  Others have the sound of being positively
fascist, with a third of the population (including passers-through who
hadn't intended to take up residence) in jail.  New England winters are a
little harsh, but nowhere near as bad as say Buffalo or Chicago or even
Cheyenne.  It *seems* bad to someone from the south, but since we're
prepared for it we aren't bombed out by a half-inch of snow.  I suppose that
I like it because I grew up with it.  We have a saying, "If you don't like
the weather, wait ten minutes." The earth is like that here... weather,
seasons, terrain, we've got 'em all!  Other areas of the country sound
*dull* to me.  Also (finally, I guess) high tech and ruralism stumble over
each other with charming abandon.

Ahem.  Yah, I know, got a little defensive there.  I think New England is
highly misunderstood, particularly regarding our supposedly cold
interpersonal dealings and our harsh climate, and people tend to dump on New
England rather openly about these supposed shortcomings.  When one
understands the situation around here, these are not shortcomings but
features!

Just shovelled out,
-- Kenn (decvax!goutal)

-----

>From ittapp!paul Tue Apr  5 18:14:25 1983

My home now is in Corinth, Mississippi, a town of about 10000 in the
northeastern corner of MS.  I live here because its within driving distance
of where I grew up.  I can see my parents and grandparents on weekends
without any trouble if I choose.  I also prefer the pace of a small southern
town.  I'm not into the cutthroat world of big city living.  I wish there
were an airport within 50 miles.  As it is I have to drive 90+ miles to
Memphis to begin a business trip.  That is my only serious gripe.  However,
I am one of two people in a department of 20 who turned down an offer to
move to Raleigh,NC.  So other people are not as charmed as I am.  I am now
living where I'd like to live.  I just hope ITT allows me to stay.  I'm sure
that's more than you ever wanted to know about Corinth,MS.

jdd (04/12/83)

Here are yet more replies in the great "Where Do You Live" quiz.

As you will recall, readers of net.misc were asked to tell where they live,
why they live there, why they like it there, why they don't like it there,
where they'd \like/ to live, why they think they'd like it there, and why
they don't live there.

The replies keep pouring in, so feel free to send me yours.

Cheers,
John ("And What's Your Favorite \Color/?") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

From: Howard G. Port   <port@suny-sbcs@UDel-Relay>
Subject: Places to live

     Hope I'm not too late with this.  I presently live on Long Island.  I
think it's pretty bad.  Long Island has most of the disadvantages of the
city and few of the advantages.  In order to get culture you must either
take an hour and a half train trip or fight the traffic on the Long Island
Expressway (known around here as "the world's largest parking lot").  Yet
most of the people either work in the city or are NYC expatriates.  Most of
them still maintain the pushy, every man for himself attitude which I
believe is brought on by the crowding of big city living.

     My previous home was Buffalo, and I found it delightful.  Friendly
people, no lack of things to do, and big enough to get a modicum of culture.
The only bad thing is the present economic condition, which is at the nadir.

                  Howard Port

-----

>From aluxz!bnn Fri Apr  8 16:39:43 1983

	Boston is the best place to live because:
it has 4 college hockey teams
it has over 250,000 full time students in the metro area
it has adequate public transportation
it has a good supply of fresh fish
it has 3 dental schools
American history buffs enjoy the Freedom Trail
it has the Boston Marathon
it has Bel Canto
Climate conditions are mild
it has Route 128
it is close to Cape Cod
Tip O'Neill comes from Cambridge (right next to Boston)
it has Fenway Park, Symphony Hall, the Science Museum, Isabella Stuart
Gardner's house, The Common, Boston Garden, the North End, Back Bay,
Quincy Market, and the Longfellow Bridge.

-----

>From [name omitted upon request] Mon Apr 11 18:17:11 1983

I live in Fair Haven, NJ, which is a Boro of 6000 on the Navesink River
(exit 109 on the Parkway). It is a nice town, with good dining, sailing,
boutiques, and schools, but there is a problem with it. It is in NEW JERSEY.
Having grown up in Louisville, KY, I find the people in NJ are as a rule
rude, and miss the large undeveloped forests which I was accustomed to.
Also, the traffic problems I encounter tend to cause stress. I live 5 miles
from work, but it takes 15-20 min. to get there! Where I would like to live
is (no joke) the central valley of California, in an old gold rush town.
Having been introduce to CA by Bell Labs and their OYIC (One Year In
California) program, I found the central valley to be a great location. Near
the Sierra Nevada mountains, with great skiing and whitewater (I love to
kayak), and not too far from the beautiful beaches and coastline (is it
still there?). I was especially captivated by the old gold rush towns south
and east of Sacremento, which are enjoying a resurgence. And real estate
there is not too expensive (about like Monmouth County real estate prices),
but is expected to rise fast, due to the emergence of Sacremento as the next
Silicon Valley (at least in CA).

-----

>From hcr!anton Thu Apr  7 03:19:48 1983

I like it here in TO.
Why ?
Well all the muggings, violence, high infaltion, expensive accomodation,
brown outs, poluted water and food and sexual harassment (this is NA 2nd gay
capitol) taken together with the threat of being caught between the USSR's
ICBM and the USA's anti-ICBM gives life an interesting flavour.

I suspect you wouldn't like it though.

/anton aylward

-----

>From hogpd!vu Mon Apr 11 18:17:23 1983

I'd like to live in New England, especially along the coastline.
I am currently living near Holmdel and drinking NJ water!!!!
Do I need any reason for preferring NE over NJ?
...Anyway, I like the small, clustered living style in NE.
			Chuong Vu
			ABI
			(201)576-3155
			...hogpd!vu

-----

>From jdd Mon Apr 11 23:45:67 1983

I work in Murray Hill, New Jersey.  Right after I came to work here I lived
in Summit, New Jersey which is b-o-r-i-n-g.  The area around Murray Hill is
"older, established suburbs", which is code for "a lot of middle-aged
people".  I found that I spent most of my free time at work, or driving to a
shopping mall for fun, or going into New York City.  As has been said
before, New Jersey's only real advantage is that it's close to New York.

Now I live in New York City, unable to withstand the lure of the neon, I
guess.  My commute is too long and I drive by a lot of ugly places on the
way and it's much too expensive but it's the best place to live in the area,
which isn't really saying much.  New York is big enough that it has
something for everyone, but it's one of the less "livable" cities around.
The part I live in, Greenwich Village, is probably one of the nicest parts
of Manhattan, being reasonably neighborhoody.  I find, though, that I don't
take advantage of the city's cultural attractions nearly as much as I
thought I would, or as much as I think I should.

I went to California a few weeks ago and I had lunch at a Burger King on El
Camino Real.  The Burger King had a really big parking lot, with lots of
spaces and wide aisles.  There was a drive-thru window around the back but I
went inside and there were plenty of counter positions and plenty of people
taking orders.  There were lots of seats and table, in colorful plastic,
separated by rows of artificial planters.  I want to move to California and
live in Silicon Valley and get married and have some kids and get a station
wagon and a dog and we can all get in the station wagon and go to Burger
King two or three or four times a day and when we're done eating we can feed
the left-overs to the dog and eventually we'll get divorced and she'll take
the kids and the station wagon and I'll get a van and live in my van parked
behind the Burger King and I can just live at Burger King and eat there
whenever I want to and then for fun I can drive up and down the street where
my wife and kids live now and see if I can see them and wonder what happened
to the dog and when I die they can bury me and my van right out behind the
Burger King, right next to the drive-thru window, but I just want to know
what happened to my dog!

Cheers,
John ("Flipping Out") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill