[fa.info-mac] Info-Mac Archives, Message 4 of 7

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (07/13/84)

From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@washington.arpa>
   1) 29-May Dick Kalagher        Carrying bags
   2) 30-May Larry Carroll        Converting MacWrite to MacDraw documents
   3) 30-May Ira.Monarch at CMU-C Canadian Universities in Apple Consortium?
   4) 30-May Mark Lentczner       Re:  Disk Icon Renaming
   5) 30-May David H M Spector    Transylvania bug report.
   6) 30-May B.BPE%LOTS-A@SU-SCOR MS-BASIC 1.0 Bugs
   7) 30-May To: info-mac@SUMEX-A keyboard query
   8) 30-May Kevin.Dowling at CMU Assorted drivel
   9)  1-Jun Tim McNerney         keyboard [crowdedness] query
  10)  1-Jun Jerry E. Pournelle   Assorted drivel
  11)  1-Jun Jerry E. Pournelle   keyboard query
  12)  1-Jun Jerry E. Pournelle   Warning: telephone trashes disks
  13)  1-Jun Jerry E. Pournelle   OKIDATA at COMDEX
  14)  1-Jun Peterr%toronto.csnet Apple discounts for Univ. of Toronto students
  15)  1-Jun John Otken           Source for mac disks
  16)  1-Jun Dave Farber          Print directory
  17)  1-Jun wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA   Re: Slow and Impossible
  18)  1-Jun hamachi%ucbkim@Berke Re: Slow and Impossible
  19)  1-Jun kato.PA@XEROX.ARPA   Macwrite bug and misc.
  20)  1-Jun wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA   Re: Slow and Impossible
  21)  1-Jun Stewart French       Apple Carrying Case
  22)  1-Jun dpm%lbl-csam@lbl-ws. Re:  Carrying bags
  23)  4-Jun Tony Siegman         Transferring Text/Program Files From MacWrite
  24)  4-Jun byard @ dca-eur      Home-Brew Fat Macs?
  25)  4-Jun Dale Carstensen C-3  re: keyboard seems small

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: 29 May 1984 14:26:15 EDT (Tuesday)
From: Dick Kalagher <kalagher@mitre>
Subject: Carrying bags
To: info-mac at sumex-aim
ReSent-date: Tue 29 May 84 11:37:52-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Has anyone seen or ordered one of the MacPacks from the company of the
same name in Kent, Washington?  They advertize several carrying bags
at a signifigantly lower price than Apple's bag. (See May ST MAC
p. 38).  How does the quality of these bags compare to the Apple
bag?  Does the firm really ship immediatly as stated in their ads?
Does anyone know of any other sources for Mac carrying bags?

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: 29 May 1984 1256 PDT
From: Larry Carroll <LARRY@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>
Subject: Converting MacWrite to MacDraw documents
To: info-mac@sumex-aim
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:39-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I need some advice on using LisaDraw and LisaWrite and their
Mac versions.  I'm doing some work for the Galileo project
(which includes an orbiter and a probe that will dive into
Jupiter's atmosphere).  I have copied source code from a VAX to
LisaWrite documents using LisaTerminal.

How can I convert LisaWrite documents to LisaDraw documents?
I first tried selecting an entire document and CUTting it, which
copies it into the Scratchpad.  Unfortunately when I tried to
PASTE from the Scratchpad while in LisaDraw I found that only
the first 25 bytes are PASTEd.  (This is under version 1.8 of the
Office system; another Lisa with version 2.0 is limited to about
60 bytes.)

We also have the Workshop operating system with a Pascal and
Basic compiler.  Can I use this somehow to convert LisaWrite to
LisaDraw documents?

Please send me answers directly as well as to INFO-MAC.

			Larry @ jpl-vlsi
------

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: 29 May 1984 23:40:15-EDT
From: Ira.Monarch at CMU-CS-G
Subject: Canadian Universities in Apple Consortium?
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:41-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Are any Canadian Universities members of the Apple Consortium?   If so, which
ones?  If not, does anyone have information about future possibilities, or
whether Apple plans to discount Macs for members of Canadian Universities?

                                     --Ira Monarch

Message 4 -- ************************
Date: Wed, 30 May 84 11:59:49 edt
From: Mark Lentczner <mark@harvard.arpa>
To: DEUFEL%DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa,
    INFO-MAC%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa,
    MAC%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Re:  Disk Icon Renaming
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:43-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

No, I'm sorry...  The name will be replaced no matter
where the mouse points to: within the name or elsewhere.
While I'll grant that this is not a bug (in so far as
some programmer at Apple ment it to work that way), I
would certianly suggest that this `feature' be altered
so that it does only work when the pointer is an I-Beam.

-mark lentczner
 electronic music studio
 music department
 harvard university

 decvax!genrad!wjh12!harvard!mark

Message 5 -- ************************
Date: 30 May 84 11:03 EDT
From: David H M Spector <SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Transylvania bug report.
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:48-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

________________________________________.
|ARPAnet:     SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1          |
|USEnet :     ...floyd!cmcl2!acf4!spector|
|               -+-+-+-			 |
|Any opinions expressed herein are my own|
|and should not be considered those of my|
|employer.				 |
________________________________________.

A friend of mine bought a copy of Transylvania by Penguin Software yesterday,
and found a really nasty bug.   If, when you get eaten by a werewolf ( this may
be true for other characters as well, but we'll never know..) you follow the
instructions given by the game, which are to  "" press any key to continue "",
and choose the mouse button as your key, Transylvania will trash various
elements of the system folder, and itself, and you won't be able to boot the
program again.  Since the program is COPY PROTECTED this makes this game have
a very short life span.  So, if you have this game, be wary of the mouse!

			David HM Spector
			NYU Systems Group

-------

Message 6 -- ************************
Date: Wed 30 May 84 11:01:54-PDT
From: B.BPE%LOTS-A@SU-SCORE.ARPA
Subject: MS-BASIC 1.0 Bugs
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:50-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

PRINT seems to clear the screen further than it needs to when printing. For
instance CALL MOVETO(6,9):print "aaaaaaaa":CALL MOVETO(6,9):PRINT "bb". Note
that there are several blank spaces now after the "b"s. Anyone know of a
way around this?
-Barry Eynon
-------

Message 7 -- ************************
Date: Wed 30 May 84 11:57:26-PDT
From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: keyboard query
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:52-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

For a while now around here, various people have been remarking that
the Mac's keyboard seems "crowded."  Yesterday, we got around to
measuring the key spacing and were surprised to find that it seems to
be the same as all of the other keyboards on other various terminals.
No one is saying that these other keyboards feel crowded but the
comment keeps coming up about the Mac.  Does anyone know what it might
be in the Mac's keyboard design that causes these impressions?

					--Rick
-------

Message 8 -- ************************
Date: 30 May 1984 15:23:40-EDT
From: Kevin.Dowling at CMU-RI-ROVER
Subject: Assorted drivel
ReSent-date: Wed 30 May 84 18:04:55-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Lu Book:
The B. Dalton Bookstore chain has the Cary Lu "The Apple Macintosh
Book" for $14.99 (regularly $18.95 or so) This is clearly
one of the best books so far on the Mac (I haven't seen Doug Clapps
book) and complements the Mac Manuals very well.

Mac Video:
Does anyone on the net have further information on the Drexel or
Univ. of Utah Mac video out? I looked briefly at this  and it seems that
scan conversion to NTSC would be an ugly problem. One possibility is
to store each frame or frame sections in RAM and clock it out at the
different scan frequency needed.  (22.254545KHz to 15.750KHz for the
horizontal for Mac to NTSC)

St. Mac:
Issue 5 of St. Mac (June) is out. This magazine has a little too much
in the Gee-Whiz school of writing department as compared to MacWorld.
[There's an article on a convent that bought a Lisa.... sheesh]

Several role-playing games for the Mac are out already with pictures
and mouse control of direction added to the traditional text.
(music and talking would be neat additions on top of this)

Some other new products include a $50 disk that contains 130
pictures you can use in MacPaint. My wife, a graphic artist,
saw the ad, it had a couple of examples, and mentioned that
it was just like the Clip-Art that artists and illustrators used
but a lot more expensive.

Some people have developed a PC-Basic Developer's Compiler to
run most PC programs on the Mac. It can be linked to Pascal
programs and integrated into the Mac office environment. Also
a PC-to-Mac communication package.

Inside Macintosh wil be available 4th quarter in Dealerships and Bookstores
in a real binding and presumably cheaper than $150

There are a @i(lot) of ads for tote bags for Mac and Mac peripherals...
It seems they're filling the vacuum since Apple hadn't anticipated
the huge demand for the carrying bags...

MacWare ad for MacAnimation (MSBasic instructions for animation)
	       MacMath; a drill program "with novel animations providing
		rewards to the child"
	       MacSpell; MacMath with words.

Someone else is selling two disks loaded with the following:
	Basic Disk has  "shooting stars, tic-tac-toe, and black-jack"
	Template Disk has "family budget and check book" for Multiplan

Steven Jobs resume is listed also (page 52). Anyone know if this is
for real?

Sears and Businessland has decided to sell Macs and Lisas after
previously rejecting Apple computers.

There's a PaintMover program advertised to convert MacPaint files
into MS-Basic Format. Only $30 ......

The Apple Corporate Balloon is for sale.  $18,000 but only to those
authorized to use the Apple logo. Raven S55A Balloon (retails for $31,000).

Apple Yuppie Stuff:
	Apple now has something called the Apple Collection which is a kind
of Sharper Image catalog of silly items like Apple Sailboards, Jewelry,
clothing and real Apple desk accessories... The Mac T-shirt is the least
offensive of all the items.

					nivek

ARPA:  nivek@cmu-ri-rover
Bell:  (412) 578-8830
USMail:  Robotics Institute c/o CMU
	 Schenley Park
 	 Pgh, PA 15213

Message 9 -- ************************
Date: 30 May 1984 23:30-EDT
From: Tim McNerney <TIM @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  keyboard [crowdedness] query
To: Furuta @ WASHINGTON
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:24:47-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Although the size keys and their spacing are standard, the Mac's
keyboard is smaller and has fewer keys than most other keyboards.
Perhaps the keyboard simply "feels crowded" to some people because it
forces their hands to be slighly closer together than they would be on
a keyboard that has lots of function keys and a numeric keypad.

Personally, it is my favorite of all keyboards in terms of the feel of
its keys.  Does anyone know who makes it?  I would assume that it is made
by a different manufacturer than the Lisa keyboard (which I don't like).

	Tim McNerney
	MIT LCS

Message 10 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 1984 04:48-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
To: Kevin.Dowling @ CMU-RI-ROVER
cc: INFO-MAC @ MIT-MC
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:24:52-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

for reasons unk nown Macworld has decided (according to letter
to subscribers) to be every other month for a while; there is
announcement that there will not be products for mac until next
year; meaning I guess that they are not getting ads.  Anyone
want to offer theories?

Message 11 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 1984 04:50-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
To: Furuta @ WASHINGTON
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:24:58-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The Otrona keyboard is precisely the same size as the IBM
Selectric keyboard, but because the whle mess is so small (there
is no margin around it, you might say) it SEEMS small and many
people think it is "crowded" until they try it.  i would guess
that you are getting the same phenomenon.
jep

Message 12 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 1984 05:06-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Warning: telephone trashes disks
To: JVC @ SU-SCORE
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:01-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Good advice.  Telephone bell can wipe out 8" and 5 1/4"; I see
no reason why it cannot get a vest pocket disk too.

Message 13 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 1984 05:08-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  OKIDATA at COMDEX
To: TCHAO @ SU-SCORE
cc: info-mac @ SU-SCORE
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:03-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Okidata showed a printer working with Macintosh (it was hooked
up to it) that appears to do better, faster, and as compatible
with mac as imagewriter.  It also has a letter quality mode.
Cost seems less than imagewriter.

Message 14 -- ************************
Date:     31 May 84 1:47:27-EDT (Thu)
From:     Peterr%toronto.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
To:       Ira.Monarch@cmu-cs-g.arpa
cc:       INFO-MAC@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject:  Apple discounts for Univ. of Toronto students
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:06-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Answering the query about Canadian universities in the Apple Consortium,
No, the University of Toronto is not part of the Consortium (my understanding is
that the AUC is restricted to the original 24), but Apple Canada is offering a
discount of approximately 25% to students and staff on machines for personal
use and a discount of around 30% on teaching and research machines in the
Mac/Lisa family.  The deal expires at the end of April, 1985.  (They are also
offering discounts on ][e's and ][c's, and other manuf's are discounting IBM
PC lookalikes.)

p. rowley, U. Toronto   (peterr.toronto@CSNet-Relay)

Message 15 -- ************************
Date: Thu 31 May 84 14:29:25-CDT
From: John Otken <CC.Otken@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: Source for mac disks
To: info-mac@SU-SCORE.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:09-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Lyben computer systems lists macintosh disks in their latest catalog.
A 10 pack of memorex goes for $39.50 and a 5 pack of verbatim for $22.50.
These guys claim to keep disks in stock and almost always ship within
one day.  I have dealt with them one time before with no problems.
There phone # is 313-589-3440.  John Otken.
-------

Message 16 -- ************************
Date:     Thu, 31 May 84 18:06:28 EDT
From:     Dave Farber  <farber@udel-ee>
To:       info-mac@sumex
Subject:  Print directory
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:13-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I tried to print the directory of the Clipart disk (big) and
I get a System failure ID-02. Hmmm

Message 17 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 84 15:06:57 PDT
From: wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: Re: Slow and Impossible
To: hamachi%ucbkim@UCB-VAX.ARPA (Gordon Hamachi)
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:16-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The problem stems from the fact that folders are not disk files, but
rather a relation on disk files. All the information that represents
folders is placed in memory when the disk is booted, thus the number of
folders affects the boot speed. I believe that this holds for file info,
also. Note that when you eject the disk, you may still open folders, GET
INFO them and files, too, etc.

The result is faster operations on folders and files. Apple apparently
did not anticipate that you would have enough files on a disk to make
this a problem.

scott

Message 18 -- ************************
Date: Thu, 31 May 84 16:09:18 pdt
From: hamachi%ucbkim@Berkeley (Gordon Hamachi)
To: wert.pa@Xerox.ARPA
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:18-PDT

    From: wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA
    Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

What you said sounds right on the mark.  If Apple didn't anticipate
more than 50 files per disk, don't you think they were being
pretty short sighted? Is this another problem that will go away
with 512K Macintoshes? It is a serious limitation for many
users who were planning to do real work on the Macintosh.

It seems likely that the Macintosh design team did NOT overlooked
this problem.  They were probably forced to rushed the 1.0 finder
out the door before it was ready.  Is the problem fixed in later
a version?

The Macintosh software seems to be full of simplifying assumptions
that make the machine look good for small examples, but fall somewhat
short for large examples.  Besides the finder, there is the
length limitation on MacWrite.  A preliminary version of MacDraw
(as demo-ed by its author at the West Coast Computer Fair) is
incredibly slow scrolling when there are large spline curves, even
when they are off the screen.

Don't get me wrong.  The Apple Macintosh design team has done so
many things RIGHT.  Conceptually, it is magnificent.  It would be a
pity to find out that a ``real'' system takes more memory, a faster
disk, or algorithms they decided not to use.

				-Gordon

Message 19 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 84 16:30:34 PDT (Thursday)
From: kato.PA@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: Macwrite bug and misc.
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc:
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:25-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I've come across a bug in Macwrite 2.2. It seems that when I am using headers
and footers, then insert a ruler, everything from the ruler on down is not
printed. I don't know the exact combination and I haven't been able to get it
to repeat on demand.

The place where I got my update didn't have the new fonts. Did anyone else
have that sort of trouble?

As far as I know, Businessland has been carrying Macs for quite a few months.
I would have bought mine from them but they were out of stock. Computerland
seemed to have alot of trouble getting Macs in.

I would like to get a programming language for my Mac. Is MBASIC good enough
or should I wait for MacPascal or MacBasic?

			Gary M. Kato
			Versatec Inc.
			Kato.pa@Xerox.Arpa

Message 20 -- ************************
Date: 31 May 84 16:37:17 PDT
From: wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA
To: hamachi%ucbkim@UCB-VAX.ARPA (Gordon Hamachi)
Cc: wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:27-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

	It seems likely that the Macintosh design team did NOT overlooked
	this problem.  They were probably forced to rushed the 1.0 finder
	out the door before it was ready.  Is the problem fixed in later
	a version?

This problem does not go away with the 1.1g finder. I think this is a
bad design decision (it should start tossing out folder info as the
system heap gets full). Having 512k of memory will certainly help the
out of memory problem, but not the slowness problem.

As far as sights being short, consider another problem: There is no way
to partition file names into managable groups, i.e., no directories.
Folders clean up your desktop, but not the disk. This is not that much
of a problem for the small floppies, but consider how you will end up
naming the hundreds or thousands of files on a 10 MB winchester? Are you
going to want to read all their names and info into memory too?

scott

Message 21 -- ************************
Date: Thu 31 May 84 17:21:14-PDT
From: Stewart French
Subject: Apple Carrying Case
Sender: SFRENCH@USC-ECLB.ARPA
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:29-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I just finished an airplane trip. It was a 737.
Sorry folks,  The Mac in its carrying case will NOT fit under the seat or
in an overhead bin.  To bad...

SlF

PS. I was told by the steward that the 727 and larger may have larger overhead
    bins.
-------

Message 22 -- ************************
Date: Thu, 31 May 84 22:04:10 pdt
From:     dpm%lbl-csam@lbl-ws.arpa
To:       info-mac%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@lbl-ws.ARPA,
          kalagher%mitre%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@lbl-ws.ARPA
Subject: Re:  Carrying bags
ReSent-date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:25:34-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I just purchased the MacFreighter case from the folks at Mac Packs.  I was
able to get it delivered immediately.  It is rather a nice case, but...
It holds the keyboard and disk only - no room for the modem as advertised.
Not a lot of room for cables and software either.  I haven't seen the other
case, but it appears to have even less room than the MacFreighter and costs
a bit more.  I'd still buy the MacFreighter if I had it to do over again...

dpm

Message 23 -- ************************
Date: Fri 1 Jun 84 17:32:02-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Transferring Text/Program Files From MacWrite to MS-Basic?
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 4 Jun 84 08:34:18-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Has anyone published any recipes for transferring text or program or ASCII
files between MS-Basic and MacWrite, in either direction?

(That is, I'd like to prepare or edit MS-Basic data files or programs in
MacWrite, both before and after using or generating them in MS-Basic).
-------

Message 24 -- ************************
Date: 2 June 1984 10:28 GMT
From: byard @ dca-eur
Subject: Home-Brew Fat Macs?
To: info-mac @ sumex
ReSent-date: Mon 4 Jun 84 08:34:20-PDT

Date: 2 Jun 1984 10:12:12 Z
Text: Folks, may I suggest that what we need are some experiments (and
experimenters) to determine the easiest way to fatten-up our Macs and
a "consortium" to buy the chips in large quantities.  I.e., Info-Mac
Fat Mac Kits?  Larry

Message 25 -- ************************
Date: 2 Jun 1984 12:15:15-MDT
From: Dale Carstensen C-3 <dlc@lanl>
To: info-mac@lanl
Subject: re: keyboard seems small
ReSent-date: Mon 4 Jun 84 08:34:23-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I'm forever bumping the option key to the left of the space bar while I'm
typing.  Keep in mind, if you ever have a chance to design or approve the
design of a keyboard -- 1. a resting place for the heel of the hands is
an excellent feature (which the Macintosh does not have), and 2. never put
any keys on either side of the space bar.
I even hit the "command" key instead of shift to try to type "!", and the
disk ejected!  I thought it was both shift and command with a 1, but live
and learn.
-------