[net.music] Top 40 radio in New York

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (12/09/84)

> A question on the side: With as many people as there are around here,
> why are all the radio stations so much the same?
>                          -Warren Moe
>                           houxf!wrmoe

Well, now that I am working down in New York (it's a loooong story)
I was wondering about that, too.  Also, most of the Top 40 outlets
are so far behind that it is rediculous!  Now, I don't dislike Top 40,
but I can see why people down here do: Every Top 40 station in the
area is basically a Top 10 station that plays the same stuff over
and over again!  They never even come CLOSE to the lower lower end of
the 40.  Argh!

However, the question arises:  Why do all the radio stations sound
the same?  Because most people in New York prefer Top 40 music.
Tah dah.

Two stations that sound exactly the same to me are WAPP and WPLJ.
I haven't seen arbitrons for ages, but I would assume these two
are battling it out.  There's also Z-100, which I just find to be
obnoxious.  "The Morning Zoo" likes to scream and yell and carry
on.  I hate people yelling at me in the morning.

But enough of this random prattle.  If you don't like the music
in New York, there are three stations that I have found to be
very good:

   WLIR -- A "new wave" station.  Kind of fun to listen to, if
           you are really into listening to the music on your
           radio.
   WNEW -- Standard AOR...a little metallic.  "Two For Tuesday"s
           and such liven things up.
   WYNY -- A very nice AC station.  Not all "love songs" but very
           mellow.  I was exceedingly happy to find they played
           "Left in the Dark" by Barbara Streisand and written by
           my favourite, Jim Steinman.  Too bad the song is bad.

Other then that, you have the standard KISS station for a more
"Urban Contemporary" sound.
--
"I just need some love                 Peter Merchant
 so turn out the lights

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (12/15/84)

> From: merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant)

>> A question on the side: With as many people as there are around here,
>> why are all the radio stations so much the same?
>>                          -Warren Moe
>>                           houxf!wrmoe

Simple.  They are all competing for the same audience -- 18-35.

> Well, now that I am working down in New York (it's a loooong story)
> I was wondering about that, too.  Also, most of the Top 40 outlets
> are so far behind that it is rediculous!  Now, I don't dislike Top 40,
> but I can see why people down here do: Every Top 40 station in the
> area is basically a Top 10 station that plays the same stuff over
> and over again!  They never even come CLOSE to the lower lower end of
> the 40.  Argh!

This is a sad fact of New York radio.  It has been like this ever since I can
remember -- even back in the glory days of WABC.  A New York Times article of
a few years back criticized WABC of really being a Top 18 station which filled
the rest of their airtime with music which had been out for more than three
months.  Judging from WHTZ (Z-100's) hit lists, I tend to agree, since out of
their top 30 at least 10 have either fallen off the real top 40 or are about
to.

> Two stations that sound exactly the same to me are WAPP and WPLJ.
> I haven't seen arbitrons for ages, but I would assume these two
> are battling it out.  There's also Z-100, which I just find to be
> obnoxious.  "The Morning Zoo" likes to scream and yell and carry
> on.  I hate people yelling at me in the morning.

I haven't seen any Arbitrons lately either (I won't get bitten on this one
again -- remember "Is Springsteen losing it?") but WHTZ claims that they are
New York's #1 radio station.  As Peter says, they are also New York's #1 ob-
noxious station.  They have gotten in lots of trouble over the past year for
things they have said on the air.

> But enough of this random prattle.  If you don't like the music
> in New York, there are three stations that I have found to be
> very good:

	... he describes WLIR, WNEW and WYNY ...

I would like to add WKTU (was once known as Disco 92) to this list.  They play
a wider variety of music than the standard top 40 stations in NYC, and they
also get good hits earlier.  (Example -- they were playing "Hello Again" by
The Cars over a month ago, and no other top 40 NYC station is playing it yet.)

> Other then that, you have the standard KISS station for a more
> "Urban Contemporary" sound.

WRKS.  Mostly r&b/dance music.  I don't listen to it much, but some people I
know claim it is good.  We've also forgotten a station which was tops in NYC
for a long time -- WBLS, which also plays r&b/dance music.

I read another newspaper article once in which the programming directors of
WPLJ and WHTZ explained their reasons for not playing most of the real top 40.
They claimed that in order to keep their ratings up they had to play music
that was pretty much guaranteed to be popular -- that they couldn't take many
chances.  They admitted to taking a few chances and premiering some singles,
one of these, "Sea of Love" by the Honeydrippers actually turned out to be a
major hit, but mostly they wait until songs reach a certain level of popularity
and then they play them.

One more quickie -- I don't know how popular Bruce Springsteen's stuff was
outside of the NYC area, but they play it to death around here.  Was "Jersey
Girl" played anywhere else?  Springsteen may be losing it, but he was defin-
itely winning around NYC.
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

gwr@cord.UUCP (GW Ryan) (12/17/84)

I'd also recommend WRSU - rutgers state university station.
It's a little on the low power side so you may not get it anywhere except
the rutgers area and south-western NYC, but...
God it sure beats WAPP!!!!!

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (12/17/84)

>One more quickie -- I don't know how popular Bruce Springsteen's stuff was
>outside of the NYC area, but they play it to death around here.  Was "Jersey
>Girl" played anywhere else?  Springsteen may be losing it, but he was defin-
>itely winning around NYC.

	I heard "Jersey Girl" only once on the radio out here in San
Francisco, it made me laugh because I'm from jersey.
	Which reminds me of a similar situation. While in SF I once
called a mail order house in Florida, they put me on hold, and
piped in some music to ease my wait. The song I heard was Tony
Bennett singing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco"!

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (12/18/84)

> I'd also recommend WRSU - rutgers state university station.
> It's a little on the low power side so you may not get it anywhere except
> the rutgers area and south-western NYC, but...
> God it sure beats WAPP!!!!!

{ Oh no!  Not again! }

Well, that depends.  Musicwise, perhaps.  I try to avoid
many college radio stations.  I dislike being at the
total mercy of some person who really likes "The Amazing
Sex Puppies" and just plays their stuff over and over.

Also, the quality of the announcers tend to vary widely.
I go crazy when I hear stuff like "That was...uh...shit.
I forgot.  Hang on a sec.  Oh yeah.  The Kinks.  Right.
I forgot.  Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I have to play a PSA now."

At best, a well run college radio station has three or
four really good jocks who realise that they are sitting
in that little room playing music for ME, not for THEMSELVES.
Who think about what they are going to say next and who
put on very good shows. The problem is: I'm not going to
bother to switch the dial every two hours, no matter how
good the jock may be (with the exception of Don Imus).

So, hey.  I'll stick with WAPP.  I'm not in my office
much, anyway.
--
                                 Peter Merchant

MCGREW@RUTGERS.ARPA (12/20/84)

	I'd also recommend WRSU - rutgers state university station.
	It's a little on the low power side so you may not get it
	anywhere except the rutgers area and south-western NYC, but...
	God it sure beats WAPP!!!!!

... but it doesn't beat WDHA (Dover, (northern) NJ), which can
be received at least as far away as Rutgers (where I hear it).

Charles
-------