[fa.info-mac] grunch from external disk drive

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (09/26/84)

From: Bill Havens <havens%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Has anyone had trouble with the second disk drive for the mac?
Normally, mine does not eject its disks with any authority.
They sort of strain to come out.
Then yesterday, a GRRUNCHH sound and the mac says that the disk is unreadable.
Inserting the "bad" disk in the other drive read it successfully?

Have there been other complaints about the second drive?

Bill Havens
havens@ubc.csnet
havens%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

info-mac@uw-beaver.UUCP (10/12/84)

From: decvax!decwrl!amd!fortune!jones@uw-beaver.arpa (Dan Jones)
In article <1783@uw-beaver> you write:
>From: Bill Havens <havens%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
>Has anyone had trouble with the second disk drive for the mac?
>Normally, mine does not eject its disks with any authority.
>They sort of strain to come out.
>Then yesterday, a GRRUNCHH sound and the mac says that the disk is unreadable.
>Inserting the "bad" disk in the other drive read it successfully?
>
>Have there been other complaints about the second drive?
>
>Bill Havens
>havens@ubc.csnet
>havens%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

I would guess that you either have a bad drive or not enough power.  I
would check the +5VDC and especially the +12VDC since the +12VDC would drive
the eject motor.  It occurs to me that the cartridge may have something to
do with your problem.  You should check to see how freely the metal shutter
moves.

Dan Jones

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd70,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!jones
DDD:	(415)595-8444 x 440
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065