[fa.info-mac] Manx C

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (11/07/84)

From: winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler)
	From OR.LUSTIG@SU-SIERRA.ARPA Fri Nov  2 19:04:18 1984
	Date: Wed 31 Oct 84 15:38:17-PST
	From: Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
	Subject: Re:  Manx C
	To: winkler@HARVARD.ARPA

	Is the fact that the editor is not mouse driven a problem?
	I've also heard that segmentation (as defined in Inside Mac) is not supported.
	Is this true, and, if so, will it matter?
	Is there anything that you can think of that would limit development capability
	on the Mac with Manx?  I've bought systems for other computers before, and
	found out, after writing a lot of code, that a real needed feature is not
	available.  Unfortunately, I didn't recognize the need for that feature
	when I purchased the product.  Could that happen with the Manx compiler?
	Thanks for your help.
		-Irv
	-------

1.  The editor is just like vi.  If you like vi, that's not a problem.  If you
prefer mouse based editors, then it's still not a problem because you can just
invoke your favorite editor from the Manx shell.

2.  The Manx system does supports segments as defined in Inside Macintosh.  You
can call the UnloadSeg routine just as you would from Pascal.

3.  There is no resource editor or compiler with the Manx system.  Jim Goodnow
(who is the super-human programmer that wrote the entire Manx system single
handedly) is hard at work on a resource editor which he claims will be much
better than the one from Apple.  Until then, you can't really use resources
from a Manx program.

Dan.