[fa.info-mac] new SUMacC release and wonder economics

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (11/22/84)

From: Bill Croft <croft@safe>
	Date:  Tue, 20 Nov 84 20:51 EST
	From: Reed.SoftArts@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
	Subject:  Re: new SUMacC release and wonder economics
	To: Bill Croft <croft@SU-SAFE.ARPA>, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
	*From:  DPR (David P Reed)

	In every organization I have worked for, academic or
	industrial, the per-programmer cost of the machine was $20K or
	more, for a timeshared VAX type machine.  If you include the
	costs of airconditioning, etc. it gets higher.  I love the
	claim that SUMacC lowers the per programmer cost from around
	$5K (or even $10K depending on how you count it) for a cadillac
	Lisa-based development system.  Only Reagan is better at this
	kind of voodoo economics.  The whole wonder of workstations and
	personal computers is that you can deliver better performance
	and responsiveness to the user at the same or lower cost per
	user than for timeshared systems.

	And while I am less than thrilled with the particular
	mouse-based editor Apple chose for the Lisa, surely in the long
	run one can produce better tools on the Lisa/Fat MAC than the
	ancient stuff that passes for wonderful on UNIX in its
	timeshared, 80x24, monospaced, character-only, mouseless form.

	But I suppose UNIX and its religion will continue to be adopted
	by those who want to live in the past.
----

I agree with you, I would prefer developing applications
in (very small) Smalltalk on a standalone (very large) Fat Mac.
However until Alan Kay gets finished, what do we do?

I find UNIX's toolbox (cshell, make, emacs, diff, grep, lpr, etc.)
much more friendly than the Lisa workshop.  Have you tried
diff, grep, or make / shell files on the workshop?  UNIX also is
more friendly than many of the Mac standalone C development environments.
There may be a difference between user-friendly and programmer-friendly.

As far as costs go, I was refering to 'incremental' costs for
someone who already has access to UNIX and a Mac.  I was not encouraging
timesharing systems by any means.  Some people are using SUMacC on
SUN, Metheus, etc. workstations.