[fa.info-mac] MacTerminal

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (07/06/84)

From: KSPROUL@RUTGERS.ARPA

I have been using the alpa version of MacTerminal for awhile and like it..

Does anybody know of a graphics terminal emulator for the MAC, rummored,
announced, on-the-back-burner, etc...  I am desperately in need of
such a beast, DEC VT-125 preferably, 4010 acceptable..

any pointers would be greatly appreciated....

Keith Sproul
Ksproul@Rutgers.arpa
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (07/06/84)

From: KSPROUL@RUTGERS.ARPA

I have not seen any discusion about MacTerminal on the net, does
anyone have a pre-release copy of it? when is it goint to actully
get to the stores??

I have it ordered, and will get it as soon as comes in,

also, I got to see a pre-release or something from a student in the
consortium, but have been suprized that there has been no discussion

From: ihnp4!ihuxa!kron@uw-beaver.arpa
There was a Microsoft BASIC Tektronix 4010 emulator posted to the net
some time ago. I saved the source, but I have never run it because I
do not have a Macintosh. It does not run faster than 300 baud,
according to the comments in the net article. If you are interested,
contact me by electronic mail.

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (07/07/84)

From: Tim McNerney <TIM@MIT-MC>
To MacTerminal beta test sites:

Has anyone experimented with reconfiguring MacTerminal's keyboard?
In particular, how painful is it to make "Delete" (or "Rubout"
if you prefer) an unshifted character?  Backspace is fine for
UNIX, but most DEC operating system use Delete to erase the last
typed character.  This is probably significant enugh to warrant
making it a setup option.

Also, a couple of subtle but rather serious bugs were reported
just recently about "Set Origin Mode" not homing the cursor, and
"Set Margins" homing to the wrong place.  I believe these bugs are
also present in the released version of LisaTerm.  It would be a
pity if they released a buggy MacTerminal too.  Has Apple comfirmed
the existence of these bugs?

info-mac@uw-beaver.UUCP (07/12/84)

From: David H M Spector <SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>

Last night, 7/10, at the New York Mac User's Group Meeting, a rep. from
Computer Marketing Research (Apple's East Coast Rep) announced that
MacTerminal was ""officially"" released on the 9th and was being shipped today
(7/11), and that it should hit the shelves in a couple of days...

		Dave Spector

-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (07/29/84)

From: Andrew Sweer <SWEER@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
	MacTerminal Beta Version 0.5X of July 12, 1984 still has a problem
with the VT100 Set and Reset Mode commands. According to the documentation,
"The cursor is moved to the new home position when this mode is set or reset."
In the MacTerminal emulation, it leaves the cursor where is was.

The specific commands in question are:

	SET	ESC [?6h	(Relative)
	RESET	ESC [?6l	(Absolute)

	The lack of this side effect causes serious other side effects in
higher level applications. Editorially speaking, it would be a shame if this
small problem in an otherwise excellent program were not corrected prior
to wider release/distribution.

Andy
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (08/13/84)

From: mclure@Sri-Unix.arpa
I am very disappointed with MacTerminal and its VT100 emulation.
The version I have does not support any ins/del char functions or
any ins/del line functions. This makes it next to useless or very
aggravating at best for 1200 baud dialups where those functions are
mandatory. Does anyone know if the developers have plans to add these
functions? I presume it can all be simulated in the underlying
software even though the screen is bit-mapped.

	Stuart

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (08/15/84)

From: KSPROUL@RUTGERS.ARPA

Which version of MacTerminal are you using?? I have used MacTerm .5x on both
a DEC-20 using EMACS and a VAX running VMS and RS1 have had absolutely no
problems at all!!  But then I have not given it a full testing, but what
I have done works GREAT and I think MacTerminal is really super..

Keith Sproul
Ksproul@Rutgers.arpa
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (08/15/84)

From: olson@harvard.ARPA (Eric Olson)
VT100s do insert and delete line by defining a scrolling region on
the screen and either scrolling up or down (example: region 10 to 24;
scroll down results in open line at 10 and lost line at bottom).  On
UNIX, termcap (terminal capabilities stuff) can have an entry for
VT100-like scrolling regions (a subset of an ANSI standard) and editors
may choose to use them.

Insert character and delete character can be done with a line rewrite,
which is slow but not too annoying at 1200 baud.

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (08/20/84)

From: mclure@sri-prism
There seems to be a big problem with the latest Beta version of
Macterminal.  Has anyone else tried using it with Rogue?  It doesn't
work very well, sending incorrect escape sequences, spurious
characters, and generally messing Rogue up.  I just switched over from
MacTerminal alpha -0.20 to beta .50x.  It worked correctly with the
former.  Neither our termcap nor rogue itself was changed in the
interim.  There are serious problems with Macterminal Beta.50x.

Also someone mentioned that this version of Macterminal would be able
to send the correct cursor addressing codes via the mouse to the remote
host.  I don't see any capability like that.  Could someone please
elaborate?

	Stuart

From Berkeley termcap 1.22

d0|z29|vt100|vt100-am|vt100|dec vt100:\
	:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:bl=^G:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:\
	:le=^H:bs:am:cm=5\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=2\E[C:up=2\E[A:\
	:ce=3\E[K:cd=50\E[J:so=2\E[7m:se=2\E[m:us=2\E[4m:ue=2\E[m:\
	:md=2\E[1m:mr=2\E[7m:mb=2\E[5m:me=2\E[m:is=\E[1;24r\E[24;1H:\
	:rs=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h:ks=\E[?1h\E=:ke=\E[?1l\E>:\
	:rf=/usr/lib/tabset/vt100:ku=\EOA:kd=\EOB:kr=\EOC:kl=\EOD:kb=^H:\
	:ho=\E[H:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:ta=^I:pt:sr=5\EM:vt#3:xn:\
	:sc=\E7:rc=\E8:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (09/05/84)

From: DBECK@SRI-KL.ARPA
Does anyone know if Apple Modem uses more than a three wire connection?
I am using the "game-paddle to DB25" fix to connect my U.S. Robotics
Password and outgoing is fine, auto-dial and all.  Call in is not working
possibly due to missing a wire for "ring" or somthing.

I would like to apologize to Apple for the negative comment on XMODEM in
MacTerminal.  Used as it is intended - Mac to Mac - it performs well and
permits transfer of all classes of document tried, MacWrite, MacPaint and
Resource.
Doug Beck   dbeck@sri-kl.arpa
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (10/17/84)

From: John Foderaro (on a vt100) <jkf@ucbmike>
  A vt100 would be a much better terminal at low baud rates if it had
insert character capability.  Does anyone know if Apple has added such
a capability to their vt100 emulation in MacTerminal?  I saw the
official MacTerminal document for a short period today and I could
find no mention of what escape sequences are accepted in vt100 mode.

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (10/26/84)

From: DEUFEL@DEC-MARLBORO
Has anyone noted that MacTerminal apparently doesn't pay attention to
the "LOCKED" attribute of a file? If I set the "LOCKED" flag in a file
information window, I would expect that this file would not be modifiable.
However, it appears that If I set up and save a document with Macterminal
settings custom taylored for me, double clicking the file launches
MacTerminal, and MacTerminal actually writes into the LOCKED file!!!

Doesn't the Mac OS prevent the writing to a LOCKED file???

			Cheers,
			-Abdul-

   --------

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (11/07/84)

From: decvax!dartvax!crs@uw-beaver.arpa (Carl Spitzer)
     I refer you to Inside Mac, File Manager p. 10:

>Your application can lock a file to prevent unauthorized writing to it.
>Locking the file insures that none of the information can be changed ***
>Currently, the Finder won't let you rename or delete a locked file, but
>it will let you change the data the file contains ***.

This means (I assume, since they refer to the Finder but not OS File Manager
routines) that MacTerminal can change any locked file with abandon.  So much
for the power of the software lock!

Cheers,
   Carl Spitzer

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (11/28/84)

From: KSPROUL@RUTGERS.ARPA

This is an open letter to Apple and/or any other hardware companies...

We are using the MAC and MacTerminal (above 20 macs at the moment) as
terminals into a VAX... (The Macs also get used for other things too)..

But the BIG complaint is that the Mac Keyboard is too small!! for use
as a vt-100 emulator,,, MacTerminal is Very good.. But not quite good
enough...  Apple needs to do something different for the PF keys of
the VT-100 such as make them option-? keys on the numeric pad..

Another suggestion (which I would do if I had the money to do it) is
for someone to make a replacement keyboard for the Mac that had the
normal keyboard AND the numeric keypad built into the same package
and ALSO (maybe) some other keys to make it possible to be a better
terminal emulato...

If this became a reality, I would write a purchase order for a few sight
unseen, and probably by a dozen after I got the first few in the door..

Another suggestion for mac programmers is to come out with a GOOD
VT-125 emulator,  Yes I know the VT-125 is NOT the greatest graphics
terminal on the market, BUT it is well supported and versitle..

I do have Tekalike and Griffin terminal (Both 4010 emulators) and
both are reasonable, BUT both emulate a VECTOR screen, NOT a raster
terminal...

If anybody knows of any other graphics terminal emulators either
existing or being developed, PLEASE let me know...

Keith Sproul
Ksproul@Rutgers.arpa
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (11/30/84)

From: Christopher A Kent <cak@Purdue.ARPA>
On the other hand, there are those of us who are really pleased that a
manufacturer has the guts to buck the "everything you could want plus
the kitchen sink on the keyboard" style keyboard, and gave us just the
basics in the Mac; a keyboard that is just two hands wide, with no
excess baggage. The only thing wrong with the Mac's keyboard is that
the caps lock key is a physically locking key; this means, as we all
know, that you can't use it for a control key, as it should be.

It is so refreshing to use the Mac's keyboard after dealing with the
monstrosities that DEC (and other companies) are hawking now (see the
keyboard on the VT2?? series of terminals or the VaxStation for
examples of what I mean).

"Real men don't use function keys when editing." They touch type and
want to keep their keys on the home row. (They also want a mouse with
more than one button, but that's a different story...:-)

Cheers,
chris