[fa.info-mac] Apple on Arpanet?

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/07/84)

From: Christopher A Kent <cak@Purdue.ARPA>

I was surprised to see that, too  -- but it seems to be an artifact of
a bad header munger somewhere. They're on CSNET, it would seem; so
xxx@apple.CSNET or xxx%apple.CSNET@csnet-relay.ARPA is more appropriate.

chris
----------

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/13/84)

From: Dennis Rockwell <drockwel@CSNET-SH.ARPA>

	From: Christopher A Kent <cak@PURDUE.ARPA>
	Subject: Apple on Arpanet?
	Date: 6 Dec 1984 1152-EST (Thursday)

	I was surprised to see that, too  -- but it seems to be an
	artifact of a bad header munger somewhere. They're on CSNET, it
	would seem; so xxx@apple.CSNET or
	xxx%apple.CSNET@csnet-relay.ARPA is more appropriate.

	chris

That was my fault, I'm afraid; I told the NIC to add APPLE.ARPA to the host
table prematurely.  They are on the way to coming up on CSNET-PDN (CSNET's
IP network carried on the public data net).  They contract with mt xinu for
kernel support and the delay is in making the arrangements for mt xinu to
add the (CSNET-supplied) X.25 software to the kernel.

The NIC has been instructed to remove them from the host table.

The same host that is currently on dial-up CSNET will be the host on
CSNET-PDN.

Mail sent to xxx%apple.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa will be correctly forwarded
both now and afterward; the posting from APPLE.ARPA does look like a
goof inspired by the NIC table entry.

Dennis Rockwell
CSNET Technical Staff