[fa.info-mac] A Pascal development system on the Mac?

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/10/84)

From: chavez%ucbcory@Berkeley (Thomas M. Chavez)

I am looking for something (hopefully from Apple) that will allow me to create
Pascal based applications on my Mac.  I haven't heard of a development system
like this for the Mac yet, but maybe it is in the beta stage and I could try
to get that.  If it is only for developers, then does anyone know how I could
be declared one quickly ? (Apple, are you listening?)  I have been asked to have
a working early version of a program by early January, when I meet with a rep.
from a software distributor to discuss packaging, distribution, etc., so it is
obvious that I need to get right to work.

I hope that someone will be able to help me, as there are others who are depen-
ding upon my doing my part of the deal.

Thanks for the help.  Please direct all responses to me at:
chavez%ucbcory@berkeley.

Tom Chavez

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/13/84)

From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@MIT-MC>

I can't help except to give an existence proof observation:
DBMaster for the Mac is written in Pacal and it is a bitchin'
program; very useful.  So it's obviously possible...
best wishes,
jep

Date: 10 December 1984 03:59-EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Font resources moved into OTHER files
To: peirce @ LLL-CRG
cc: Info-Mac @ SUMEX-AIM

If someone can manage to get me a copy of that fonts disk and
its instructions (mail to ME (my name) at BYTE 70 Main St
Peterborough NH 03458 and it will make it in a week, two days
from when they get it) then I can tell the world.
	After my conversations with Atkinson and Capps I may not
be a Maconvert but I'll help.  ooh -- I'll also need info on
where readers can buy the fonts disk.
jep

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/13/84)

From: kato.SV@XEROX.ARPA

There are 2 Pascals that I know of.
1) MacPascal from APPLE. They are working on a compiler but since
MacBasic still isn't ou, I wouldn't hold my breath. If your application
isn't too large, you might try the released interpreter MacPascal.
2) SofTech's UCSD development system. Has an assembler, Fortran 77, and
Pascal (compiler or interpreter, I don't know). I think it's been
released.
3) Doesn't UCB have some Lisas there for some project? You may be able
to use them by twisting the appropriate arm.

Kato.sv@Xerox.ARPA

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/15/84)

From: jhf@LANL (Joseph H. Fasel III)

> From: kato.SV@XEROX.ARPA
>
> There are 2 Pascals that I know of.
> 1) MacPascal from APPLE. They are working on a compiler but since
> MacBasic still isn't ou, I wouldn't hold my breath. If your application
> isn't too large, you might try the released interpreter MacPascal.
> 2) SofTech's UCSD development system. Has an assembler, Fortran 77, and
> Pascal (compiler or interpreter, I don't know). I think it's been
> released.
> 3) Doesn't UCB have some Lisas there for some project? You may be able
> to use them by twisting the appropriate arm.
>
> Kato.sv@Xerox.ARPA

Shouldn't it be possible to use Berkeley Pascal with the SUMacC stuff?
Does an M68000 pc exist?  I wouldn't think it would be too hard to cobble
one together.

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/15/84)

From: Robert E. Yellen (MISD-SEAD) <ryellen@Ardc.ARPA>

I spoke to SofTech they are shipping Pascal and Fortran. Claim both have
compilers.

        Bob Yellen ARDC