[fa.info-mac] abspeak

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/12/84)

From: Bill Croft <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

Date:  8 Dec 1984 11:25:59 PST
Subject: ABSpeak stuff
From: Mike Schuster <MIKES@CIT-20.ARPA>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Here is ABSpeak, along with some of the pertinent source files:

      ABSpeak.dl       - dl format of the application.  To those requesting
                         BINHEX form, sorry, I don't have a working formatter.
                         I'll mail a BINHEX form as soon as I can.

      speak.R          - extracts the phoneme-to-speech translator from
                         the Smoothtalker demo application.  The application
                         is named Finder on the demo disk, I renamed it
                         Smoothtalker.

      speak.c          - contains the hook mSpeak which you call to speak.
                         This nub loads the resource, fiddles arguments, and
                         jumps into the code (More about arguments below).

      speak.h          - just a header file for mSpeak.

      ABSpeak.c        - the source for ABSpeak

      ABSpeak.R        - resources for ABSpeak

      info.txt         - some more anonymous information

You will have to do some hacking to get compile ABSpeak on your own
development system.  I used Consulair's Mac C along with Apple's MDS.
Mac C passes args in registers D0, D1, ..., so you will have to recode
the mSpeak and _dlogFilter hooks to match your local conventions.  Also,
I didn't include any of the header files, most are like SUMACC's, except
for buffered IO routines, so you will have to replace the calls to
delete, create, open, close, read, and write with something appropriate
if you want to implement ABSpeak's open and save functions.

Enjoy,
Mike Schuster
@cit-20

[filed in <info-mac>abspeak.c, abspeak.dl and abspeak.rsrc]
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/15/84)

From: John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

There has been an exchange via the "info-mac-request" mailbox on the availabil-
ity of the ABSpeak and DAS files here at sumex. I'm posting Bill Croft's
replies: the problems have been worked out.
Thanks to Bill and those who brought it to my attention - jma
                ---------------

   1) 14-Dec Bill Croft           re: abspeak
   2) 14-Dec Bill Croft           <cc.bill> and <info-mac> das.rsrc were stored

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 84 09:28:43 pst
From: Bill Croft <croft@safe>
Subject: re: abspeak
To: ralphw@mit-xx
Cc: info-mac-request@sumex, johnmark@whitney

All the files are glommed together as 'abspeak.c'  I would have
called it 'abspeak.shar' if Mike had sent them in as a shell archive
(as he should have).

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 84 09:42:08 pst
From: Bill Croft <croft@safe>
Subject: <cc.bill> and <info-mac> das.rsrc were stored wrong
To: cc.bill@columbia-20
Cc: alderson@score, croft@safe, info-mac-request@sumex, johnmark@whitney,
        joseph@ru-blue

Bill Schilit,
A couple people noticed that the das.rsrc file you originally stored
on columbia (and we ftped to SUMEX info-mac) was stored in 7 bit
mode instead of 8 bit mode.  I just re-uploaded it on SUMEX and
stored it in 8 bit mode.

Anybody:  remember that TOPS20 machines are 36 bit-ers and that you
must use the UNIX FTP 'tenex' command before sending/receiving
an 8 bit file (like a .rsrc).
-------