[fa.info-mac] More on Megamax

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/18/84)

From: James.Anderson@CMU-CS-K

Well it seems that the deluge of questions merits posting of additional
information.
	1.  Ease of conversion.
	a.  It is very easy to convert source code from SumacC to Megamax
	    I had several programs that I converted and ran.  The only
	    problem is that some variable sizes are differnt, like ints
	    which are 16 bits in Megamax and 32 on SumacC.  Pointers are
	    32 bits in Megamax.
	2.  Assembler
	a.  Yes there is an assembler with the package, and the compiler
	    also supports in-line assembly code.  Which I have used and
	    it works just fine.  There is also a disassembler.
	3.  Editor
	a.  It comes with an editor and it is quite easy to use, and you can
	    transfer from the editor to the compiler from inside it.
	4.  Other stuff.
	a.  It comes with a lot of other stuff, several demo programs,
	    including sieve.c, edit.c(a simple editor), strobe.c
	    (a screen demo),spline.c(a line drawing program), and a few other
	    C files as well.  It has a librarian for making/modifing lib files,
	    a post pass optimizer, a stand alone Rmaker, and many header files
	    (.h or include files for those new to C).
	5.  Obtainability
	a.  This is the hard one, here at CMU it can be bought from the
	    campus computer store.  If you are near a consortium dealer,
	    then this is the place to buy, since their price will probably
	    be lower.  Prices I have heard range from $299 list, $218 with
	    educational discount, $165 to consortiums, and $90 to a few
	    other dealers, which I guess is the bulk discount.
	      The company's address is:
		Megamax, Inc.
		P.O. Box 851521
		Richardson, Texas 75085-1521

	    If you call them direct, tell them I said hello, they
	    are very friendly people.  Also don't be worried if you
	    get an answering machine, they are very good about calling
	    back.
	6.  Motivation
	a.  I am not getting out of this.  Some people are just too cynical.

Disclaimer:
    None of this reflects any opinions of my employer or anyone else.
    None of the above should be viewed as a price commitment by any dealer.
Date: 14 Dec 84 17:45:04 EST
From: James.Anderson@CMU-CS-K
Subject: Oops. Forgot one question.
To: BBoard.Maintainer@CMU-CS-A

The phone number for Megamax is (214)987-4931
Happy Hacking.
						jwa