[fa.info-mac] Protection

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/01/85)

From: LEVITT%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA

I suggest option 1, No Protection, for reasonably priced products of
personal (as opposed to primarily business) use.  It works to the
vendors' advantage, much as the "test drive a Macintosh" policy works.

A handful of people (I know just one really) are so religiously
against software ownership, copy protection, and threats of litigation
against software pirates, that they vocally claim not to buy or use
copyrighted or protected software.  They have never organized a
successful boycott; don't bother be intimidated by their tactics.

Most Macintosh users are adults who paid $2K+ for a computer system.
The ones I know are mostly hackers who routinely trade copies of demo
software - often beta test and generally unprotected.  They consider
it a matter of pride (or perhaps software business karma) to pay for
software they really use, if they can afford it at all.  $50 is 2% of
the Mac investment, so most any Mac owner must admit he can afford it.
Users - especially hackers and developers - must encourage one another
to be clean about this, or we'll find that complex software rarely
gets an adequate demo, because it has to be showcased in a hurry by an
incompetent in some heinous software store.  Such "protection" is
counterproductive.

If it does what you say, a product like Great Wave ConcertWare has
already created the best good will through outperforming the
competition and reasonable price.  Foolish pricing is the root of
piracy.  For software intended for use in businesses, schools, or by
youngsters (e.g. some game software), it's not as clear.  Kids will be
conscientious only if software directed at them is affordable even on
kid budgets.  But for products like ConcertWare, I don't see
justification for institutionproofing or kidproofing.

David L.

From: decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!nlil@uw-beaver.arpa
Date:     31 Dec 84 8:14:06-EST (Mon)
To: uw-beaver!info-mac
Subject: Re: Music/Protection

I vote for FreeWare. Quality software at a reasonable price, and
no copy protection. All copy protection schemes that I have
encountered so far have been circumvented with Copy II Mac.

Thanks for the chance to express my opinion.