[fa.info-mac] Versaterm

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/13/84)

From: Leonard.Hamey@CMU-CS-IUS2

A mention was recently made of 'VersaTerm' but I must have missed the
earlier posts about it. Could someone please explain (especially price and
performance)?

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/21/84)

From: dlc@LANL (Dale Carstensen)

> From: Leonard.Hamey@CMU-CS-IUS2
>
> A mention was recently made of 'VersaTerm' but I must have missed the
> earlier posts about it. Could someone please explain (especially price and
> performance)?

VersaTerm came over a Usenet news group, either net.micro.mac or net.sources,
and the author specifically asked that copies not be further distributed, so
non-Usenet readers of info-mac are out of luck unless they can convince the
author to send it to info-mac.  It works for the things I've done with it, and
supports everything but file transfers that I would want.  I've had it hang up
sometimes, but identically to the ways real VT-100 also hang up!  Some of the
announcement "Help.doc" file follows:

************  VersaTerm  **************
** Copyright 1984 Lonnie R. Abelbeck **
***************************************

 . . .

Commands may be placed in the "Commands" menu with the "Edit Commands"
entry in the "File" menu.  When selected, the string is transmitted to the
host followed by a CR.

Text copied to the Clipboard may be Pasted to the output Stream.

 . . .

This program was created with Manx C68k, it will operate to ~2400baud,
the vt100 emulation is good, the 4014 is excellent, and the D200 is good
enough.  Don't think these are 100% emulations in each case, but
good enough for practical purposes.  The vt100 has character insert
and character delete, vt102 style.

Any comments can be sent to  mhuxh!aluxe!lra

or

Lonnie Abelbeck
2106 Elder Street
Reading, PA  19604
(215) 921-8366

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/05/85)

From: Steve Johnson <SAJ@ACC>

After previewing Macterm (version -0.15), I liked it enough to pay for
version 1.1, which I hovelove/hate.  The only reason I hate it is because
it incessantly causes the disk to whir - a noise I can live without.
So now I'm considering buinying Versaterm, except for one thibnng:  the beta
version was slow (could not keep up at 9600) baud).  Is the new version
as fast as Macterm 1.1?
      thanks for any comments, steve johnson

------