[fa.info-mac] Editing Icons

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/17/85)

From: Elgin Lee <ehl@Navajo>

I thought that INFO-MAC people might be interested in the following
message which appeared in net.micro.mac.  It outlines how to edit icons
using ResEdit (the resource editor).

			Elgin

Date: 13 Jan 85 01:40:49 GMT

()
I recently received ResEdit which, when used with Set File, provides me
with all the Icon manipulation that I need (at least right now). I don't
have Fedit; I have RMover but I don't think I need it anymore.

The following "cookbook" method really originates from trying out the
suggestions made by David Levine & Rich Rodgers from Tektronix, Ned
Horvath from AT&T-IS, and especially Spencer Thomas from Univ. of Utah.

1. Making a "Hidden" Icon Appear

* Use "ResEdit" to open the application (e.g., Othello). Open its BNDL
  resource to find out its OwnerName (in this case, DAVY). You can open
  the ICN# resource to look at the icon(s). Quit ResEdit.
* Use "Set File" on the application. Set its Bundle bit and set Creator =
  OwnerName. When you quit "Set File", the icon should appear.

2. Copying/Editing Icon to Application having just the default Icon

* Use "ResEdit" to open an application with an icon (e.g., BinHex) and
  an application with just the document icon (e.g., Set File). Copy BNDL,
  ICN#, and FREF resources from the first to the second application.
* Open the BNDL resource of the second application and set OwnerName to
  a unique four letter name (e.g., SETF). Close BNDL.
* Create a new Type Name for the second application with Type Name =
  the selected OwnerName. Open this new resource and use "Get Info" to
  set its ID=0.
* (Optional) Edit the icon by opening ICN#. Quit ResEdit.
* Use "Set File" on the application. Set its Bundle bit and set Creator =
  the selected OwnerName. Quit "Set File". The new icon should appear.

3. Editing an Icon already recognized by the DeskTop

* Use "ResEdit" to open the application's ICN#. Note the resource id#
  using Get Info. Cut the ICN# resource out of the application.
* Open the Desktop's ICN# resource. Edit the application's icon there
  and then copy it back to the application.
* Open the application's ICN# resource to change the resource id# back
  to its original number. Quit "ResEdit" and the edited icon should
  appear.

Hope this helps...
				Larry Murphy
				AT&T Information Systems Laboratories