[fa.info-mac] Whence goeth MacWrite?

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/30/85)

From: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.arpa (Jeff Meyer)

Since I assume Apple, or somebody, is on the line in-the-know, could they
please inform us:

1) What is the latest version of MacWrite around?

2) Is this one the non-beta, non-test revision which is supposed to
supplement 2.2?

3) If not, when can we expect to see one that is?

I would appreciate the answers very much...

				"This cognac is older than God."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/01/85)

From: Joel Malman <malman@BBNH.ARPA>

I have used one of the "latest" versions of MacWrite (3.98, dated 17 Jan 85)
for a few days. It is not a bad version. The only problem is that it still
crashes way to frequently to become the "final" new version.

BTW: It only crashes on my 128k mac. On the 512k mac in the lab it works just
fine. The 3.98 version really will enable you to create long documents. i.e.
it is really disk based (not like older versions such as 3.17 which would
only let you create a document of only about 21k).

joel

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 85 12:12:50 pst
From: hamachi%ucbkim@Berkeley (Gordon Hamachi)
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
Subject: Printing Big Macwrite Documents?

The 512K Macintosh allows the creation of documents more than 70
pages long, BUT, I'm having trouble printing them.  The document in question
uses 1 1/2 spacing, the 12 point Geneva font, headers and footers.
Consider this message both a warning and an appeal for suggestions.

The first problem (a bug? a feature?) is that when I try to print this
huge document, everything goes as expected, except that only the first page
comes out.  After printing, the dialog boxes go away and the Mac returns
control to MacWrite.  I selected "Print All", standard quality output,
continuous forms.  By experimentation, I find that I can get around this
problem by printing files of 38 pages or less.

After trimming the document length I can print more than one page of output.
The next problem is "Disk full" while MacWrite is saving the print copy to
disk.  I worked around this by further cutting document length, and by
removing by all stuff not needed for printing, such as fonts, desk accessories,
scrapbook, note pad.  Incidentally, when you delete all desk accessories with
the Desk Accessory Mover, the system bombs!

Even after doing this, I still run out of disk space.

I can go on chopping up my big documents, but that is such an inelegant
solution.  It is also kind of embarassing because after recommending the Mac,
the person who's actually doing the word processing is switching to a Compaq
and Wordstar.  Does anyone have hints on how I can successfully print huge
macwrite documents?

--Gordon Hamachi