[fa.info-mac] BITNET mail follows

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (12/01/84)

From: DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Berkeley
Date: 28 November 1984, 17:53:06 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM.BITNET
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: file creator

Since it seems that one only gets an application's unique ICON
to show itself by having the file creator set to the original file
creator, how can you find out the file creator.  This is necessary
since Macterminal seems to set the file creator to CCOM.  I was only
able to see the clever FEDIT icon after reading what the creator
was.  Anyone figured this out yet?   David Gelphman

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (12/04/84)

From: DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Berkeley
Date: 3 December 1984, 10:42:29 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: upgrade to 512k

     I'm interested in upgrading my Mac to 512k but don't have $1000
to pay for it.  I've read that the newer 128 Macs are being shipped with
boards which fully support the 512k (but of course have the 64k chips).
I would like to do the upgrade myself and wonder if anyone knows:

a.  How can you tell if your board is one which is already setup for
    512k so all you have to do is replace the 64k chips with 256k chips

b.  If you have the older board, what do you have to do in order to upgrade
    to 512k (without paying $1000).

c.  Where in the Bay Area can you purchase a Torx #15 screwdriver which is
    long enough for the screws under the handle?  I bought a screwdriver and
    then discovered it wasn't long enough.

  Answers to a. and b. would go a long way to ensure that a lot of people
like myself could enjoy the benefits of the ram disk and other good things
having 512k afford.     David Gelphman

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (12/05/84)

From: ihnp4!amd!jimb@uw-beaver.arpa (Jim Budler)
It isn't MacTerminal which sets the creator to CCOM, it is macput,
although that can be changed with on of macput's command line
switches.

A binhex.hex file will have the correct creator, one of the advantages
of that transfer method.

The only way I know to find out the actual creator is with Fedit.
Page through the file in ASCII looking for APPL, the creator should
show as four upper case letters within a few bytes after that (if
there is one.  A second pair of four letter names may follow, but
these are for any created files.  The bundle bit must be set if there
are any of the later three names.
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 (408) 982-6547
 UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!jimb
 Compuserve:	72415,1200
 The Source:	STW265

info-mac@uw-beaver (info-mac) (12/05/84)

From: Sam Hahn  <SHahn@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Just noticed that Dr Dobbs Journal promises in their 1985 January issue to
describe how to fatten your mac for a lot less than Apple's price.  Don't
know any more than this line I read in the page 4 masthead.
				-- sam hahn [shahn@sumex]
-------

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/07/84)

From: chavez%ucbcory@Berkeley (Thomas M. Chavez)

On the subject of conversion of old 128k versions on the Mac to 512k:

A.P.P.L.E. in Seattle, WA, has a little two-page flyer describing the
necessary changes (add one more chip by "piggy-backing" it to the board, and
a few resistors).  With the price of 256k RAMs falling, this is looking better
and better for those of us with older 128k boards.

The address of A.P.P.L.E. is:

	A.P.P.L.E.
	21246 68th Avenue S.
	Kent, WA 98032
	(206) 872-2245

Hope this helps...

Tom Chavez
chavez@cory.BERKELEY

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/17/84)

From: DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Berkeley

Date: 15 December 1984, 17:10:07 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Inside Macintosh

I found out that students at Stanford (I don't know about faculty, etc.) can
get copies of Inside Macintosh for about $39 from Kinko's Copies on
California St. in Palo Alto.  They also offer a supplement (which I assume
is some of the updated information) for an additional $9 or so.  You don't
get the exciting Apple binders, etc. but it is for less than half that
Apple wants.  So even though I didn't win the lottery to buy Super Bowl tickets
I guess there are other advantages to being associated with SU.
David Gelphman

info-mac@uw-beaver (12/22/84)

From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>

Date: 21 December 84 10:10-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM
Subject: BITNET mail follows

Date: 21 December 1984, 10:09:54 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD
Subject: alternative floppy for the Mac

The following is a message which was placed on our mini-bulletin board
here at SLAC.  I thought some people would be interested:

          IF YOU HAVE NOT ORDERED A SECOND DISK DRIVE FOR YOUR MAC.
          Stanford Computer Supplies in Mountain View tel# (415) 968 2050
          655 Castro Street MT. View CA. 94040
          can get you a drive that will be compatable with your Mac, and
          can be upgradable to a double sided 800 kb by them for $75.
          They say the upgrade should be available first quarter 85.
          They will refund your money if not. The drive is made by sugart
          and they say the finder allready supports it. If you buy it you
          get free haberdex software. the cost is $375 not, much more than
          Microdisc for apple.

If anyone does buy one of these it would be great to hear a review of it.
David Gelphman   DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
==:B:==

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/24/85)

From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>

Date: 20 January 85 11:17-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 20 January 1985, 11:03:29 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD
Subject: macterminal keycodes revisited

The information posted recently regarding the Macterminal key code assignments
was extremely useful but unfortunately left some gaps.  I see how simple key
mappings take place and (for example) how to change the ascii code generated
by a CNTL-L to something new BUT it two things are left unanswered.  Both these
questions have to do with the keypad.
1.  There are two modes of keypad operation for a VT100.  One is that the
numbers on the keypad generate the expected value (i.e. 5->5).  Another
is that the numbers generate special esc sequences.  Where does Macterminal
look up the characters to be generated in the second case?
2.  The characters on the keypad on the outer top and right edges (eg. ENTER,
CURSOR arrows, etc.) all generate special escape sequences ( esc, [, D   or
something similar).  The lookup table KICH discussed in the earlier note
on INFO-MAC claims that when the (for example) + key on the keypad is pressed
(should be PF3 on a VT100) that a $92 is generated.  Since ascii characters
(I believe) of greater than 7 bits are not used, then what is the point of
$92 vs $72?  This is not PF3 anyway.  Are the extra bits used for another
lookup table?  If Command + is used (arrow left) it is mapped into $83 which
again is not cursor left.  Am I missing something or do we need more
as to how MacTerminal maps to and sends multiple key sequences.  Indeed those
are the changes I wish to make (eg. change arrow left from  <COMMAND,+> on
keypad to just <+> on keypad.       Hope someone out there has the answers!
        David Gelphman   DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/30/85)

From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>

Date: 29 January 85 10:59-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 29 January 1985, 10:54:13 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD
Subject: international Macintoshes

A Swiss friend of mine is thinking of buying a Mac and taking it back to
Europe.  The major problem is evidently that the European Macs have a different
keyboard layout and an extra key.  The software marketed in Europe probably
is set up for the International Mac not the US Mac.  Since the keymapping
is done at bootup, I thought that in order to modify European software for
a US Mac he would merely replace the system file used with one from an American
program.  Any ideas whether this would work.  Obviously he is out of luck with
the extra key (does anyone know what that key does?).
  The second question is about the power supply.  I've read that all one
needs is a heavy duty transformer.  One of the early issues of MacWorld
had an article about someone traveling with a Mac.  Anyone had experience with
this?     Thanks, David Gelphman   DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/31/85)

From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>

Date: 29 January 85 17:25-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 29 January 1985, 17:16:24 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD
Subject: macpaint drawings on the LaserWriter

The introduction of the Laserwriter for the Mac has made me wonder about
something.  It is clear to me how a file which contains text could be printed
out at higher resolution (300 x 300) than the screen resolution (approx 72 x
72).  You only have to have a set of fonts at the laser printer which are
defined at the appropriate higher resolution.  I assume the control code
stored in the (say) MacWrite file which tells it which font to display on
the screen sets the font the laser printer uses.  The claim I think I have
heard by Apple is that graphics look great on the LaserWriter.  I don't know
how files from Chart and other graphics programs are stored but I do know
that MacPaint files are stored as bitmapped images.  I have no idea how one
could print out Macpaint files at higher resolution than screen resolution.  Of
course you could shrink the graphics down in order to improve the number of
pixels per inch.  Is it somehow possible to keep the images full size and do
some sort of smoothing to give such graphics a different look than the
Imagewriter (which is essentially the screen resolution)?  What about some of
the other graphics programs (Chart, MacDraw)?  I assume those programs can
output to the Laserwriter and get high quality graphics.  Anyone besides me
wondering about this?  Not that I can buy a laser printer for $7k but I was
just wondering...         David Gelphman  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/01/85)

From: Steven B. Munson <sbm@Purdue.ARPA>

     Version 1.3 of MacPaint already prints pictures at twice screen
resolution on an ImageWriter.  The printer is capable of printing about
144 dots/inch if it makes two passes over each line, and MacPaint seems
to make some semi-intelligent decisions about whether to insert a dot
between two dots in the file.  This gives more contrast between black
and grey, makes round objects look rounder, and even makes letters look
better.  I would be interested to know just what this algorithm is,
though.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@purdue
----------

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/01/85)

From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>

Date: 30 January 85 09:03-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 30 January 1985, 09:02:10 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD
Subject: 150 ns chips

I am using 150ns chips in my Mac with no problems so far.  Evidently
the only disadvantage is heat dissipation.  David Gelphman  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 85 09:28:19 PST
From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 30 January 85 09:26-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 30 January 1985, 09:20:15 PST
From: DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD
Subject: Megamax C

I just called Megamax in Richardson Texas and got part of the scoop on
availability of their C compiler.  The update discussed earlier on
INFO-MAC will be available in about a week.  It will be free to those
who alreay have the earlier version.  Sending in the original disk (after
backing it up) will get you the new version free of charge.  They also
claim to send more documentation.
   I asked whether Stanford will get the consortium price ($165).  They
said Stanford has expressed interested (IRIS) but nothing has happened yet.
Megamax quoted me a $220 price (educational discount) over the phone so
even if you go through Stanford eventually, you will only save $30 since
there will be a handling fee.  Maybe it is not worth it after all.
   I also found out that at CMU there was a mistake and about 15 people
bought an earlier version for $90 before the mistake is discovered.  I
had heard about a $90 price there but it turned out to be a mistake.
  David Gelphman   DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET