[fa.info-mac] Mac XL

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/01/85)

From: <bang!crash!bwebster@Nosc>

        *** FORWARDED MAIL ***

>From uucp Thu Jan 31 17:26:58 1985
From: ihnp4!ut-sally!topaz!RU-BLUE!BRAIL
Date: 28 Jan 85 13:07:56 EST
Subject: Macintosh XL
To: ihnp4!crash!bwebster@TOPAZ.ARPA

        According to InfoWorld (more weird capitalization), the
Macintosh XL will be a Lisa 2/10, but with 2M of RAM, a video port,
and a screen designed to eliminate the distortion you get when you run
Mac programs on the Lisa. (it's got a 1:1 aspect ratio, I guess.)
Could you clear this up for the net (I can't send ARPAnet mail, and
don't know where the Usenet gateway is.)

                                ARPA: BRAIL@RU-BLUE.ARPA
                                 UUCP: ..sunrise!allegra!ru-blue!brail
-------

        *** END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE ***

Comments:
According to the official Apple press release, the Mac XL is simply the
Lisa 2/10 with a new name.  That's all.  The press release lists the
maximum memory as 1MB and says absolutely nothing about adjusted screen
ratio, a video port, or anything else.  Jobs and Scully both strongly
implied that there would be no new machines this year; that 1986 would
be the year for new products.  Sorry, but I was disappointed, too.
                                ..bruce..
                                Bruce Webster/BYTE
                                bang!crash!bwebster@nosc