[fa.info-mac] Mac Turbo

info-mac@uw-beaver (01/30/85)

From: <bang!crash!bwebster@Nosc>

>  When you visited Borland, were you able to extract any estimate on
>  when Turbo Pascal will be available for Macintosh?  Or has Philippe
>  become so enamored with the Amiga that he is abandoning Mac?

Well, Philippe did say that they are working on Turbo Pascal for the Mac,
but he made it clear that work on the Amiga took priority; the closest
thing to an estimate was a vague reference to "the end of this year".
Philippe also made it clear that he considered the Mac a doomed machine,
which, of course, implies that he may be reluctant to commit too many
resources to developing software for it.
						..bruce..
					bang!crash!bwebster@nosc
{ihnp4|sdcsvax!bang}!crash!bwebster

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/06/85)

From: <bang!crash!bwebster@Nosc>

> Why is the MAC considered a doomed machine? It seems to me that it's
> future looks promising. If it is doomed, what is going to replace it in
> the marketplace.

*I* didn't say that the Mac was doomed; I was quoting Philippe Kahn of
Borland Int'l.  He feels that between IBM and Commodore's Amiga, the Mac
will just get squeezed out of the marketplace.  IBM will dominate the
office and Amiga will dominate the home, at least those homes that might
have otherwise bought a Mac.  I'm not sure I agree with him; but if the
Amiga is as hot as he says it is, the Mac could find its home market
seriously threatened.
                                      ..bruce..
                                    Bruce Webster/BYTE
                                 bang!crash!bwebster@nosc