[fa.info-mac] Screen blanking desk accessory

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/08/85)

From: Steven B. Munson <sbm@Purdue.ARPA>

     At last!  Someone has written a desk accessory that blanks the
screen and works with MacTerminal on a 128K Mac!  This one is so small,
it could just as well go out in the mail; it's smaller than this message
describing it (900 BYTES after conversion)!  Here is what its creator
says about it:

[ The hcx source is also archived in sleep3.hcx -jma ]

>From: lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein)
>Newsgroups: net.micro.mac
>Subject: Idle Desk Accessory
>Date: Sun, 3-Feb-85 18:43:17 EST
>
>I have posted to net.sources.mac a copy of yet another Idle desk accessory.
>The features of this one are:
>
> o erases the whole screen and randomly moves an icon around
> o runs during the host application's idle time (ie., does not take over
>   the whole machine)
> o exits when you press the mouse button (so long as the cursor is not in
>   the menu bar) or if another window becomes active (ie., if you are in
>   the Finder and insert a disk)
> o if you hold down the Option key you can see what used to be on the
>   screen (it does not save the bits, however, so it relys on the
>   application being able to respond to update events)
>
>If you examine the driver you will find the charaters ICN# followed by a
>word containing 3.  This is the resource type and ID of the icon that it
>flashes on the screen.  You can edit these to customize your desk
>accessory.  (For example, display a different icon depending on what
>application is running.  If you do this you would want to install the
>driver in the application itself, including the Finder.)  Both ICON and
>ICN# resource types will work.  If the resource does not exist a square is
>moved around instead.
>
>Implementation Note:
>
>The DA creates a window the size of the screen.  It copies the window's
>portRect into its visRgn before drawing, so that it can draw on top of the
>menu bar.  It saves the old menu bar and clears the menus to ensure that
>the user cannot pull down a menu.  When you hold down the option key it
>repaints the menu bar and shrinks the window down to 0-size.
>
>You can distribute this freely, as long the credit (blame) is properly
>attributed.  Report comments/bugs to me.
>
>Enjoy.
>
>Larry Rosenstein
>{dual, nsc, voder, ios}!apple!lsr
>lsr@Apple.CSNET

     I have installed this and extracted it with DAM.  I will send the
DAM document to info-mac-request soon, from whence I assume it will be
put in the info-mac directory at sumex.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@purdue

(This file must be converted with BinHex.
#????????$0000
***COMPRESSED
***RESOURCE FORK
(    0    -:   "6@   #<M+2TM+2TM*RTM+2TM+2TL
("TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TL+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+1,"
( ("*BTL+2TK+2TM+2TM+"TK+2LM+2PM+2TM*RPM+2TL
("LM+2T   $   D  6U.+2PK+2LK+2HM+2LL+2TM+2TM
("PL*RLL+2TM*RTL+"TL+2TM+2PM+2TL+"TK+"LM+"TJ
("PM+"PL+"TL+"PK+2TM*RTM+2HL+2TM+2TM+2PL+2TM
("TL+"PM+"TM*BTL+2TM+2TL*BTM+"LM+2LM*BTM*RLK
("TK*RH@#PP-"P($! D7 @(? @<" @(" @(" @(" @(
(    E8D   \ 6H    8 '@ L !X 'Q)0TXC  -(YQ!X
("A)68\O#ZAT2JP 'F8  #I"IT*G2'H"$$AZ @Q")S\\
(  "</\O $(G0J<O.O_*/SK_RJF@J1,@7RE( !XQ;  8
( !L,7P "@ X(&T  "%X 6K_@D*L !2H<TS?'@AP $YU
($CG$'@H25F/+P^H="9L !XF*P"89P0O ZFC)BP %&<*
("\#J3RI-R!#H",O"ZD40JP 'F#"2.<0."A),"@ &@1
( ! :P9G#E- 9U(B3$S?' AP $YU)F@ '# K  !30&<T
(%M 9P950&<68. O*P "+Q<O%ZDBJ'-.N@"6J2-@S# K
(  ."    &<,0J>I.RE? !2I-&"V/RP &*FW8*Y*K  4
(&=8J%8F;  >+PNH<TZZ ,!.N@!X3KH N'8!2'H!"JEV
(! Z 0L(   "9@@@> G>)B@ %# K !:0:P 2MD!G'"\+
("\#4.>I'7 !MH!F#B L !1G""\ J3RI-ZDT3OK_3B!L
(  >+R@ &$AH !"HWTYU+PIA["1L !Y(:@ 0(&T  $AH
(/_PJ*5A2"1?3G4@;  >("@ %&$42$!(06$.2$$O 2\L
(  >J'.H>$YU!$  %"\#2.?  $)GJ&$V'VH"1$-(PTS?
(  #A\!(0S(#1$$F'TYU88X@;  >("@ F&8(2'H 0JBA
($YUGOP %")/+P"IHB! (M R_  $0?H *"+8(M@B3R\)
$0 :   @      $$(@1)9&QE
***END OF DATA