[fa.info-mac] Xerox NoteCards

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/12/85)

From: Martin D. Katz <katz@uci-icse>

Before trying to implement a NoteCard-like system on the Mac, you should be
aware that a similar system (but less fancy graphically) has existed on the
Apple II for three or four years.  It is an automated version of Mnemodex (a
copywritten and trademarked system), a system which is used for adaptive
indexing of materials.

The system began as a paper based system in the sixties, and was implemented
on the Apple in about 1980.  The original intent of the system was to ease
use of a personal library, but it was expanded to include office, telephone,
biographical, cooking, etc. files.  You might want to look into this sytem,
and see whether it has been implemented on the Mac before running off on
your own.

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/13/85)

From: Martin D. Katz <katz@uci-icse>

> What is the name of this "copywritten and trademarked system" for the
> Apple ][e, who publishes it and where can I learn more?

I seem to have lost my pointer to the author of the Mnemodex system.  The
person who introduced the system to me was Peter Freeman (Freeman@UCI.ARPA).
He is out of town this week, but it would probably be best to direct your
queries to him.