[fa.info-mac] info-mac digest v2 #3

info-mac@uw-beaver (02/18/85)

From: John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

INFO-MAC Digest                                     Sunday, 17 Feb 1985

Today's Topics:
                       XLISP 1.4 Source Available
                           First bites ABSpeak
                                 abspeak
            PostScript printers (like the Apple LaserWriter)
                      Write/Paint/System in German
                          Japanese Font Maker
                            Surge Suppression
                             Re: Foot mouse

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 85 02:38:01 EST
From: winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler)
Subject: XLISP 1.4 Source Available

XLISP 1.4 source, documentation, and compiled .rsrc files are
available on Harvard by anonymous ftp login.  Everything is in a
subdirectory called pub.

The file xlisp.shar is a shar archive of the sources.  The file
xlisp.doc is the documentation.  The file xlisp.rsrc is the compiled
Macintosh version (this has had a bug fixed since I last sent a
version to Sumex).  The file xlisptiny.rsrc is a compiled Macintosh
version without support for objects.  It has a more reasonable amount
of free memory on a 128K Macintosh.  The xlisptiny version is made by
using xlstub.c in place of xlobj.c.

Questions and comments should be sent to David Betz, betz@harvard.
I'm only doing the uploading and posting because David doesn't have a
1200 baud modem (writing public domain software doesn't pay very
well).  Let him know what you think; he loves to hear from his users.

The files on Harvard have to be split up and (for the .rsrc files)
binhex'd before uucp will be able to carry them to Usenet.  Also, I
have a cute icon designed by Eric Mazur that has to be uploaded.  But
first I really have to finish my Stanford graduate school application
which is due tomorrow.  If there's someone else with a little more
time on his hands who would like to take care of the Usnet
distribution, be my guest.  Just mail me first to avoid race
conditions.

Dan. (winkler@harvard)

[ New files xlisp.rsrc, xlisptiny.rsrc and xlisp.shar are now on
<info-mac>.
  Xlisp.doc is the same file posted before.
  The directory at Harvard where the originals reside is /pub -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 1985 00:47:30 PST
Subject: First bites ABSpeak
From: Mike Schuster <MIKES@CIT-20.ARPA>

The folks at First Byte, who sent me the Smoothtalker Demo Disk, asked
me to post a message concerning my program ABSpeak.  I told them I
would.  Here it is.

First Byte told me that they consider my program ABSpeak to be a
violation of their copyrights of their software.  First Byte told me
that they want ABSpeak removed from the net archives.  First Byte told
me that they want everyone who has a copy of ABSpeak to discuss
licensing arrangements with them.

Mike Schuster cit-20

------------------------------

Subject: abspeak
Date: 15 Feb 85 12:46:54 PST (Fri)
From: Mark Wadsworth <mw@uci-icse>

I work for First Byte, the producer of Smoothtalker.  Smoothtalker is
NOT in the public domain, and abspeak is an unauthorized copy of
proprietary software.  Please remove the abspeak files from the
library.
        Mark Wadsworth
        First Byte
        (wadsworth@uci)

[ Abspeak files have been removed. -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 17 Feb 85 00:01:26-PST
From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: PostScript printers (like the Apple LaserWriter)

As noted a couple of times before, there has been a very large amount
of discussion of the Apple LaserWriter and of other PostScript
printers on the laser-lovers@washington mailing list.  I have
extracted out the messages relating to this discussion and have placed
them into a file, available for ftp from site Washington, in
<mailing-lists>postscript.arc.

I will update this file as the discussion continues. The current topic
seems to be comparing PostScript with Xerox's InterPress format.

                                        --Rick

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 85 02:34:55 pst
From: decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix924@uw-beaver.arpa (Chris
From: Borton)
Subject: Write/Paint/System in German

I have a US Mac and a copy of Write/Paint/System in German.  The
keybord layout is different for German, the biggest difference being
that <Enter> is <space>, while the spacebar has no effect.  If you
load a US data disk it will eliminate all folders and rename the Empty
Folder, but doesn't damage anything.  All functions within those
programs work identically with different names.  I have no information
on other programs unfortunately.  I hope this helps.

Chris

------------------------------

about "FONT MAKER"...

I called "HITEX" (sp?), the distributor of this product and received
the following information.

The software retails for 25,000 yen.  They also have Hiragana and
Katakana fonts designed and are selling the fonts for 6,000 yen.
(Currently the exchange rate is about 260 yen a dollar.)

What the FONT MAKER provides is a function that let you design fonts
or draw pictures in MacPaint, paste the design onto the clipboard,
give a name to the design, and assign the designed pattern to a
particular key of your choice (on you r keyboard) by using that name
through the "FONT MAKER set-up" function.

So what the software provides is a facility to let you link any
pattern designed on MacPaint to a particular key on your keyboard.
They said they expect some third party designers to come up with Kanji
fonts.

They are sending me a copy of the manual.  I will post more info after
I review the manual.

--Qunio

------------------------------

Date: Fri 15 Feb 85 21:37:40-CST
From: Jerry Callen  <SYSTEMS.JLC@UChicago>
Subject: Surge Suppression

I refer you to Steve Ciarcia's column in the December 1983 issue of
BYTE for an excellent discussion of power line problems. I have looked
at the analog board of the Mac (with an admittedly untutored eye) and
discovered no trace of "metal oxide varistors", the cheap/effective
surge suppression device recommended by Ciarcia. SO - maybe Apple
built in protection, maybe it didn't.  In any case, you can *easily*
equip an outlet strip with surge suppression, so why take a chance?

What you need are three MOVs, installed across each possible
combination of wires in the three-pronged outlet strip. The article
shows how to do this. The MOVs can be obtained by calling DIGI-KEY
Corp. at 1-800-344-4539 and ordering 3 of part number P7064 at
$1.38/each, plus a $2.00 service fee. They accept charge cards and
generally ship the same day. This will give you surge protection that
is the equivalent of most of the $25-$40 boxes (I've looked inside
some of them...). It will *not* give you protection from "EMI"
(electromagnetic interference), but unless your Mac is in a hostile
environment (surrounded by big motors, radio transmitters, etc.), you
probably don't need that.

BUT - I'm not sure any of this relates to your described problems. If
I were you, I'd get my Mac in for service before the warrantee
expires, since problems like you are seeing are *definitely* not
normal...

OF COURSE I don't have any connection to Digi-Key, BYTE, Ciarcia, Ma
Bell, Apple, IBM, blah blah blah blah - except as a (sometimes)
willing consumer of their products....G_d, these disclaimers are
tiresome....

As ever,

Jerry Callen SYSZORT@UCHIMVS1.BITNET Systems.JLC@UChicago.BITNET
Systems.JLC@UChicago.MAILNET bozo@the circus of life...

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!mgnetp!ltuxa!tty3b!mjk@uw-beaver.arpa
Date: 15 Feb 85 14:05:54 CST (Fri)
Subject: Re: Foot mouse

There was a review of the foot mouse manufactured by Versatron
Corporation, Healdsburg, CA 800-443-1550) in the February 12 New York
Times Science Times section.

Mike Kelly AT&T

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA Digest
-------