[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V2 #16

info-mac@uw-beaver (03/17/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 17 Mar 1985       Volume 2 : Issue 16

Today's Topics:
                            VMS macput/macget
                          MacFortran's Block IF
                              Mac Publisher
            bug-report on MultiPlan 1040 taxforms [forwarded]
                   two (perhaps simple) Mac questions
                Can ImageWriter and HZ100 work together?
                                Mac Sound
                   Request for Comments on HyperDrives
                    Modifications for a Vanilla KEYC?
                      Request: Mac CAD conversions

From: stew%lhasa@harvard.ARPA
Date: 	16 Mar 85 01:36 EST
Subject: VMS macput/macget

It looks like there are a couple of unclear points in the VMS version
of macget/macput.

1) As written, it assumes that there is a logical name TMP: which
        points at a scratch directory.  If this is not defined at
        your site, you can either take all the "tmp:"s out of the
        code or, better, ASSIGN SYS$SCRATCH: TMP to dcl.

2) Remember to use macget -u for text files.  This converts incoming
        returns to newlines, which are used by unix and vax-11 c as
the
        line separator.

Stew

------------------------------

Date: Sat 16 Mar 85 01:50:39-MST
From: Bill Salmon <SALMON@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: MacFortran's Block IF

I've run a number of programs containing block IFs under MacFortran,
and they all worked fine.  After Russell Reid said he'd found a bug, I
went looking for it, but without finding it.  Russell, show us what
situation caused the problem.

I agree (as I've said before) about Absoft's documentation -- it ought
to be a lot better.

Bill Salmon (Salmon@Utah-20)

------------------------------

Date: Fri 8 Mar 85 16:06:41-MST
From: Ed Sharp <E-SHARP@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Mac Publisher

I am forwarding this message: We (the U of U Computer Center) have
produced our last two issues of the Newsletter on MacPublisher, and
find it mostly very useful.  YES it does have problems with not being
able to select styles for words/article parts, but most newsletters
don't do that.  The other problem with the text editor is lack of
tabs...

There is no way to automatically break up the article into given
column length chunks.

If you saw version 1.09, it was VERY buggy, giving sys error 02 quite
a lot if you did things in the wrong sequence, or some other
situations.  We got 1.2 last week and the sys err bugs were mostly
gone.  Just today tested 1.25, and it's not only gotten rid of those
bugs, but seems to rewrite screens faster.  Still no changes to the
editor however.

The other day I tested ReadySetGo by Manhattan Graphics 163 Varick St.
NY, NY 10013 (Price $65 or 85) which is sort of a MacDraw for text.
The "page" is gridded, and you open text, frame or picture boxes, then
paste things in and adjust the size to fit.  Column width and position
is to the nearest .0001!!!!! (Who cares) RSG's problems are 1) no text
scrolling (you ShowPage your way through an article, but the SP stays
on screen, unlike Paint's SP).  2) Portions of transferred documents
too long for a text window are lost.  3) There are no standard column
widths/sizes.  This may or may not be a problem, depending on how you
look at things.

RSG's advantages are 1) Arbitary font sizes (very nice on the
LaserWriter.  2) "Real" publishing typefaces like Times and Helvetica.
and 3) ability to layout pages on landscape oriented pages.

                               Kenneth S. Hulme
                               University of Utah Computer Center

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 85 01:53:48 cst
From: werner@ut-ngp.ARPA (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: bug-report on MultiPlan 1040 taxforms [forwarded]

Found a bug in the Tax program for Multi plan for the Macintosh. If
you try to fill out the Exemptions as you would on an IRS form you may
end up with too many exemptions. Instead of carrying over the R8C3 and
R8C5 to R8C7, R9C3 and R9C5 to R9C7 and number of children to R10C7 as
one sum the program counts each group and therefore sums up too many
dependents when it moves it to R51C7.  Also I found that if you have a
lesser amount of Dividends then the total allowable exclusion(R15C7 <
R16C7) you end up with a credit for R17C7. It is best to put zeros if
you have no DIVIDENDS. I tried to correct the program but it is locked
by the author and can not be corrected without the password.

                                           MICHAEL PLUNKETT
                                           CANTON, MICHIGAN
                                           MICHIGAN BELL TELEPHONE

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 85 10:54:01 EST
From: Andrew Malis <malis@BBNCCS.ARPA>
Subject: two (perhaps simple) Mac questions

1. Can an ordinary telephone extension cord be used to extend the
   Mac keyboard cable?

[ No -as I understand it, a telephone handset extension cord exchanges
two wires between connectors, and the Mac requires the same pinout at
both ends. -jma ]

2. Has anyone patched, or know how to patch, MacTerm 1.1 to swap the
   option and control (clover) keys?

Thanks, Andy

------------------------------

Date: Wed 13 Mar 85 06:01:48-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: Can ImageWriter and HZ100 work together?

Has anyone used the Imagewriter with other micros?  with a Zenith 100?
Anybody care to voice an opinion on how big a can of worm I'm looking
at?

Please mail - I'll summarize.  Werner

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 85 17:42:04 EST
From: Roy_Harvey%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Mac Sound

  Has anyone out there in INFO-MAC land used the Mac's 20% free-form
sound stuff?  Esp; anyone who has used the it to create music or using
FFT-type conversion...

 - --------- Roy Harvey%UMICH-MTS.MAILNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 Mar 85 13:51:31-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: Request for Comments on HyperDrives

[ I'll summarize anything new, of course.  I've seen old messages
posted here ]

I'm considering getting involved with hard-disks, and would especially
like to hear from people with recent experience dealing with the
company.  Any caveats, rumours, as well as predictions and other
ramblings welcome and kept in strict confidence, if so "flagged".

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 85 09:46 EST
From: Seth Steinberg <sas@bbn-vax.ARPA>
Subject: Modifications for a Vanilla KEYC?

I would like to be able to have an event generate for every keystroke.
Right now, the keystrokes option-i,e,u,n do NOT generate events.  I
have been told that the fix for this is to alter the KEYC resource
which is responsible for not turning keystrokes into events.  Does
anyone know of a KEYC around which does this?  Does anyone have any
pointers or ideas on how to handle this?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 85 18:59 CST
From: RSaunders@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Request: Mac CAD conversions

   I am interested in finding someone who has investigated conversion
of data from some comercial CAD system (preferibly ComputerVision) for
use on a Mac.  I would like to be able to use Macs for query terminals
in a CAD network, and the layout machines are capable of generating a
wide variety of standard CAD interchange files.  I will have to write
a program that interprets one of them, unless somebody else already
has.
          Thanx,
          Randy Saunders
          RSaunders@HI-Multics
 P.S. best send replies to me, I will summarize results to the list.

End of INFO-MAC Digest