[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V2 #22

info-mac@uw-beaver (03/26/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 26 Mar 1985      Volume 2 : Issue 22

Today's Topics:
                              Macwrite Beta
                           New version of xbin
                            Modula-2 Problems
                        Macterm comment/questions
                        Changing thes system font
                          Re: Mac Video Output
                              A Thai font?
                       cheap 300/1200 baud modems

Date: Mon 25 Mar 85 16:29:01-PST
From: John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Macwrite Beta

Gentle reader:

There has been some confusion about the Beta copy of Macwrite 4.2 on
the bulletin board. Some people's expectations have been high for what
is just test software - and it is probably unfair to both the company
and the user to treat Beta ware as if it could substitute for "real"
software. This is all just preface to saying that the better judgement
of the Apple folks I have talked to is that it shouldn't be
distributed, so I will remove Macwrite 4.2.

Note: There was no number 20 issue of the digest.
    -jma

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 85 (Sun) 18:19:10 EST
From: Dave Johnson <ddj%brown.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: New version of xbin

A new version of "xbin.shar" has been posted to <info-mac> and to
net.sources.mac.  This version of xbin can handle all three BinHex
formats (so far).  Thanks to Darin Adler at TMQ Software for providing
the code to compute and check the CRC values for all three formats.

Other new features include "list" and "verbose" modes, the ability to
convert several binhex files at one time, the ability to read standard
input, somewhat better error handling, and a manual page.

As usual, please report any problems, suggestions, or improvements to
me.

        Dave Johnson
        Brown University Computer Science
        ddj%brown@csnet-relay.ARPA
        {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,ulysses,linus}!brunix!ddj

[unix-xbin.shar has been placed in the info-mac directory.
 The previous version has been renamed unix-xbinold.shar -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 1985 20:21:00-EST
From: Duane.Williams@CMU-CS-K
Subject: Modula-2 Problems

I am having trouble using desk accessories from Modula-2.  Inside Mac
suggests checking whether sufficient memory is available before trying
to load desk accessories.  After determining the size of the desk
accessory resource, one is supposed to call NewHandle and then check
whether it returns NIL.  If it does then there isn't room for the desk
accessory; otherwise there is.  I've had no trouble with this when
using SUMacC, but it doesn't work from Modula-2.

The trouble seems to be that NewHandle does not always return NIL when
it should, and sometimes returns NIL when it shouldn't.  It behaves
differently depending on whether my program is run by double-clicking
its icon on the desktop or whether I run it using the Execute item in
the Transfer menu in the Linker.  A different interpreter is used in
the two cases!  (This is obviously a big mistake.)

I've tried using MemError after calling NewHandle, hoping that
MemError would give more reliable status information, but MemError
appears to be broken also.  It should return either NoErr (0) or
MemFullError (-108).  Instead it returns various values, depending on
how I execute my program, but seldom returns the correct value.
Sometimes it returns 18, which is (suspiciously) the value of
MemoryManagerModNum.

Have other people had better luck using NewHandle and MemError from
Modula-2?

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 1985 09:33 PST
From: Steve Johnson <SAJ@ACC>
Subject: Macterm comment/questions

Macterm/Versaterm comments/questions:  Ever tried to stop a screen
from scrolling away by hitting ctrl-S in Macterm?  At 9600 baud, many,
many lines scroll away before the screen freezes.  A faster way to
stop scrolling is to place the cursor in the menu bar (preferably not
over a menu title) and hold down the mouse button.  Instant stop, and
no character loss when you release the mouse button.  Its easy to see
why this works -- use the mouse to prevent Macterm from changing the
screen, while letting the RAM serial driver send the ctrl-S for you
when its buffer fills.
     Questions -- 1) has a recent version of Versaterm included
support for 132 column mode?  That seems to be Macterm's only
advantage at the moment.  2) Could Macterm be significantly reduced in
size be deleting all the IBM-3270 specific resources?

    Last random question -- a while ago, someone posted an explanation
of how to stop the floppy from spinning while debugging with Macsbug.
Could someone point me toward the original info-mac note, or repeat
it?  Many thanks.
                        SAJ @ ACC

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 1985 0648-PST
From: Contr04 <CONTR04 at NOSC-TECR>
Subject: Changing thes system font

Question:
  I have developed a menu entry that allows me to toggle between two
menus in different languages. That is, a user can select all text to
be displayed in English, or all text to be displayed. in German. This
includes text in the menyus , alert and dialogs, etc.
  The real reason I am doing this is to develop a program that will
have menus and all displyed in arabic or in English. has anyone been
able to toggle the system font ?  thanks, steve hyland contr04 at
nosc-tecr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 85 10:06:39 PST
From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>
Subject: Re: Mac Video Output

I also did a double take when reading in MacWorld that one could take
the output from a serial port to a TV and see the Macintosh screen.
Reading further down in the article I see: 'The introduction fo
digitizers and animation software has so expanded the Mac's graphics
capabilities that artists and would-be artists should be busy for a
while just eyeing the possibilities (see "Pictures to Pixels" in this
issue).'  The usual quality of MacWorld's editing process seems to
have broken down badly here.  The idea that you could take the serial
port output (which does not coincide with the screen output) and
somehow plug it into a VCR or TV is a bit ridiculuous.  Now that I
think about it I'm not sure what they meant in the article since it is
not necessary to have a digitizer to photograph the Mac screen onto
videotape...  David Gelphman

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 85 21:20 GMT
From: FAILOR%LLL@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: A Thai font?

Has anyone seen a Thai (as in the language spoken in Thailand) font
for the Macintosh?

                           --Bruce Failor

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 85 16:57 EST
From: Steve.Lammert@CMU-CS-A.ARPA
Subject: cheap 300/1200 baud modems

One of the best prices I have seen on 300/1200 Hayes-compatible modems
just landed in my mailbox, courtesy of a company called Networx.  The
Volksmodem 12 (so claims the advertisement):
        2 Year warranty
        List price $299
        Hayes Compatible
        Auto Answer/Auto Dial

        Sale price $199 (Qty 1) INCLUDING the appropriate cable.

Those of you who recoil in fear and trembling at having to build your
own cable OR pay retail prices for one, take note...

Now, this price is only available to educational institutions (price
for the general public is $239).  However, I called the company, and
they said that if an individual places an order using a college or
university letterhead, they will be happy to honor the lower price.

        Networx Data Products Company
        188 Main Street
        Northport, New York 11768
        (800) 531-0019 for orders OR inquiries.

[The usual disclaimers apply:  none of my relatives work for this
company, I'm not getting a special discount for mentioning them, and
there is no affiliation between Networx and Chatham College; nor am I
vouching for the reliability or usefulness of this product.
Furthermore, I am not even SUGGESTING that you represent yourself as
an educational instution or an affiliate thereof, unless you ARE.]

End of INFO-MAC Digest